• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

One more Pam with 249 (2006 Special Edition Carlifornai Dial

ddesj74

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/06
That is a beautiful watch. From which dealer. Thanls

Denis

bigbadbrad

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
lurv the Cali

--

That dome looks friggin' fantastic - may be THE reason (ok, and dial) why I buy this model.

--- BBB

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
if there is a rep which looks exactly like that I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

RqThrottle

31/5/06
There is. I belive Joshua has it (Andrew too). As Enzo says, the crystal is a POS (looks it).

On the positive side, the hands are the proper ones. To get the ultimate 249 you would have to buy from two different dealers and combine the components.

Novesh said:
if there is a rep which looks exactly like that I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Perspex Tropic

4/10/06
How Long Can You hold Your Breath Enzo?

I bought my PAM249 From Andrew,
I love The Blue Vintage Style Hands (Althoug to Short)
The Dial is Crisp, Sadly not two tone the Minute ring wich is to thin, has the same color as the Weak Lume numerals. On top of the dial is the text "California'' not featured on the Original Vintage "California" Dial, An probaly not on the Production Version Of the Gen PAM249, This text was Featured on one of the Pre-production models Shown in SIHH 2006 Watch Fair in Switzerland.
Due to the fact that The Rep Was produced and on the market before the Gen, there are no serial numbers on the Rep.
The 6497 with non-functioning Swan neck on my watch runs on A par with my Gen Chronometer Rolex Oyster.
It needs to be wound daily. The Large Crown wich has the OP cut-out logo, Is to Triangular in shape Un-screwing it is A painfull expirience since the Crown Unscrews Heavy. The Crown Stem is to long, And The Crown does not close all the way.
The Movement looks Astonishing Throug the Skeleton Back. Up-close "The Swiss" movement looks to be put inside in A Non Steryle Location and with Unclean handling .A Gen Swiss watchmaker wouldn't feel well in such Conditions, It Looks like A Thai or Chinese Person was Surgery-transformed Into A Swiss Watchmaker. :wink:

The Watch Case, For me the Highlight of the Radiomir Design, Is A Failure The Edges Decline to much into four corners wich are blunted. The Gen Case has pointy corners It is designed with A lot of 'Tension' Making the design Timless and Beautifull, Holding the Rep Case next to the Radiomir You see It is A rep!
The Wire-loop Lugs Are To long and the Gen has more rounded corners. The Rep shows space inbetween Case And Wire.
Biggest Disapointment is The Strap.It looks and feels like Plastic. A 26x24mm Might be Fine on A 45mm Watch But this Re-edition (The Vintage is quite different from thePam249) of the 47mm WWII Combat swimmers watch needs A 26X26 Strap with heavy Buckle.
The ss Backplate is the only Brushed part, The rest is Polished. One of The ingravings is "1938" Intersting since that Is the Production Year Of the Cali Radiomir! Sadly OP has dubbed this number for the Pam232?
ThePam249 Cali should have "1936" ingraved The Amount of Pam249
The Bezels top rim is to thin, and the Plexiglass Dome is Easy to scratch But that must be the same for the 4800 EUR Gen's Plexi!

I Am Nitpicking into fine detail here!
I do enjoy my watch with A aftermarket strap Very much, untill I will find time to Custom re-build A Vintage 3646 Radiomir, I will wear it dailly.

I Am interested in the Differences between the Versions Enzo reffered to.

Ciao For now.

bigbadbrad

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
enzo said:
==== HONPO ====

The Bubble dome is disappointing. It's simply a plastic shell, and I don't like the dial ... Now I am ALL for the CALIFORNIA prototype text, as that was what wa COOL about the first iteration. I think removing it was a mistake, it set that watch out on it's own, which is simply a personal preference; but I see it like the 1950 on the FIDDY ...

So, it only looks fine in the small pics - thanks for the heads up.

enzo said:
==== vs DAVIDSEN ====

I just like the DAVIDSEN dial looks a lot more, the CRYSTAL on the DSN is his thick High side TROPIC, and while that isn't super accurate, it's the crystal I would pick, who knows, maybe the GENs are closer to this anyway? The images seem to give that Salad-Bowl look

So there's some hope - I can live with the impression - DSN's crystals are great, have them on my 127 & 217.
Very thick.

--- BBB

Perspex Tropic

4/10/06
Enzo,
Does David San have A website?
I did email with him. But You do bring up some interesting models and mods I did'nt know he provided!
Maybe He could provide this comunity with some Good Replicated Parts for A Customized 3646 Project?
I have gathered enough info for that.

Arivedechi!
Kees

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
interesting discussion indeed!! i'd personally go for dsn's and customise it to make it look the way i like..scr*w accuracy, i just want a good watch!!

that being said, i'm not into the radiomir case shape and anything more than 44mm is too outrageous for my puny 6.5" wrists!! :p any wristshots to disprove me?