• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Traveling with valuables in/out EU in a car

notimetorep

Horology Curious
17/4/22
Hello folks, this year I'll be traveling in and out of EU with a car. However the border crossing process seems pretty complicated. After reading some horror stories it also started to look scary.

I have searched the topic on Google. Read a lot of posts on here, other sites and official websites. I have a decent understanding about the process. However, there are some gray ares that I need some help.

First of all, how the hell am I gonna declare my rep watches for transit pass? I'm planning to bring 2-3 watches with me for different occasions. In the temporary import declaration forms they ask for value. Would it be ok if I write 500€ for a rep Rolex? Since it's a rep I don't have and invoice and not sure it makes sense to write like 15k. That would get more attention and trouble I guess.

The same problem exists for gifts and used items. What if I have a few valuable watches with me which are gifts or used items. I don't have an invoice and maybe don't even know the original purchase price.

I'm a bit stressed because some countries (Eg. Serbia) can confiscate your car if they catch undeclared valuable items if the value exceeds 1/3rd of the car value. It is quite possible with watches as you can guess ????

I even saw news about this. A person tried to cross the border with two Pateks worth 110k in total, non declared. They confiscated the watches and also the car.

Does anybody has any experience about the topic? Would I get into trouble traveling with a single rep watch -mint condition- on my wrist without declaration? Or 1-2 more rep watches on the bag which are declared but how to declare that?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot already!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Think you’re looking too much into this mate.

I wouldn’t declare 2-3 Watches...one of them will be on your wrist, so that’s not really an issue (keep it under the cuff if you’re worried)...I’d keep the other 2 in my pocket...you’re not gonna get asked to exit the car for a pat down search...not like you’re boarding a plane.

Where are you traveling in/out of EU from?

Put it this way, I’ve crossed more international boarders than I can recall and have never declared valuables. No ones gonna take your car man.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

notimetorep

Horology Curious
17/4/22
I live in Germany. I'll be traveling across eastern EU countries and also Serbia, Turkey.

​​​​​​It seems like Serbia is the biggest problem. If they decide to do a detailed search, that will be a problem. Luck of the draw. I've seen videos on YouTube. They search the car and everything inside in detail to see if there is undeclared money, gold, etc. Otherwise I can do what you say and it will be fine.

​​​​​​Thanks for your reply. I'll be doing more research.

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
I suggest for your peace of mind to take one watch on your wrist.
Not that something will happen but it seems you are the biggest problem in this equation, you are driving yourself crazy :p
Having said that take one watch on your wrist and nobody will give a f..k including you.
I don’t know about Serbia, was there with my motorcycle many years ago, but for the rest of Eastern European countries nothing will happen same with Turkey.

Last edited:
Reactions: notimetorep

notimetorep

Horology Curious
17/4/22
I agree with all of you. I think just overthink :) Seeing news, videos, articles about bad situations made me nervous about it :)

I never had an issue on flights. But the car travel part is new for me. So, just wanted to ask if anybody has first hand experience.