• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tip on removing Anti Reflective coating

pete2528ca

Renowned Member
14/1/07
So I had a crystal with some highly scratched A/R on it so I figured I would try to clean it off.

step 1. I polished the crystal with BRASSO for about an hour. Started taking most of the A/R off.

step 2. I took some pumice hand cleaner and really gave the crystal a hard core polishing with it.

step 3. I gave it a final polis with BRASSO again.

The A/R was completely removed and it looks beautiful.

muzi

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/1/08
Thanks, this is exactly what I've been looking for!

Mike29983

8/7/07
i want to take the AR from my 111E, but the crystal is not sapphire.
its the "heat treated" crystal from T4D.
do you think i can remove it this way too, or do
i damage the crystal maybe ?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
You will scratch a mineral crystal with that method. Fortunately minerals don't hold AR that well. So you can use something less abrasive like nail polish remover.

Mike29983

8/7/07
thanks for the fast response fakey :)
i`ll try it with the nail polish remover

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
There are many methods, from Cape Cod, scott brite or even some extreme dremel tools.

Really depends on the coating and the crystal itself.

Mike29983

8/7/07
just a one stupid question before i try it,
is the AR usually on the outside or inside the crystal of the 111 ? :oops:
i cant tell exaclty from looking

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
The inside. Actually it can be on both depending on where you got it. Start with the inside. Once you are done there if there is any on the outside you will know.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I had a customer hit the bezel of his Rolex Milgauss with a box opener when opening his package. Well.. one thing led to another... I ended up with the watch back to me..

I have a buffing wheel and decided I would buff it out. I taped the crystal off and ... well.. I hit the crystal and it went right through the tape. The wheel took the ar right off the crystal. I decided to remove the rest of the AR from the top of the crystal using the wheel. It did a great job!! I must say that I think it improved the look of the milgauss imo.. it was already too heavy AR'd imo.. Gave the watch to a friend..

So.. there is my tutorial on removing the AR from the outside of a watch with a genuine sapphire. Use the buffing wheel! (I'm sure there may be draw backs to doing this though..lol.. )

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
D4M, that's exactly the way that Chieftang and I remove AR, buffing wheel and red compound. Gets hot on your fingers doesn't it? :twisted:
For total removal you really should first go over the surface with a mini mop on a pendant or dremal using diamontine paste, then go over it all again with a large mop on a polishing machine and a medium compound such as the red jewellers rouge, then ultrasonic clean it.