• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Timegrapher question.

Ooloo

Horology Curious
27/5/22
Hi guys.

I am looking some YT Videos but dont really get smarter with this Timegrapher machines.
Can somebody explain me which things are important? I have a pic from my new watch but for me thats all hieroglyphs :D

Thx

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire

Bear in mind that the above readings are now, before shipping, and stuff can get messed up (or not) during shipping.

Check the numbers, and if ok, give the ok, but when it arrives, if ya really want to check again, some apps do it afaik (not sure on accuracy)

I see some members obsess over 0s/d etc, but thats not something that bothers me.

For example, are ya really gonna get stressed, or lose sleep, over 4s/d, 28s/week which is approx a minute a month.

As for other numbers 0.00 beside an error number seems good to me ;) and 280 is within the range of great.

Am sure the experts, if they see this, could chime in, but if that were my watch I'd be ok with it.

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
There are three things you need to look at that are important when doing a timegrapher QC.

Rate is the accuracy of the movement, how many seconds a day a watch gains or loses. +4s/d is pretty much the sweet spot and is where I try to regulate my watches.

Amp. or amplitude is how many degrees the balance swings back and forth. It tends to get lower if the movement isn't oiled well. A good spot to be for most movements is around 260-320 degrees. Some movements are higher on average and others are lower on average.

Err. is the beat error or in other terms how far the balance swings in one direction compared to the other direction. How far it ticks and tocks. A good beat error is 0.0 - 0.4, but anything up to 0.8 isn't really an issue. Usually the better the beat error the better the watch accuracy will be in different positions. A high beat error combined with a high amplitude can introduce knocking which will affect the accuracy negatively.

In conclusion your watch is running pretty much perfect in that position and before shipping. Can't ask for much more. A+ timegrapher numbers.

Ooloo

Horology Curious
27/5/22
There are three things you need to look at that are important when doing a timegrapher QC.

Rate is the accuracy of the movement, how many seconds a day a watch gains or loses. +4s/d is pretty much the sweet spot and is where I try to regulate my watches.

Amp. or amplitude is how many degrees the balance swings back and forth. It tends to get lower if the movement isn't oiled well. A good spot to be for most movements is around 260-320 degrees. Some movements are higher on average and others are lower on average.

Err. is the beat error or in other terms how far the balance swings in one direction compared to the other direction. How far it ticks and tocks. A good beat error is 0.0 - 0.4, but anything up to 0.8 isn't really an issue. Usually the better the beat error the better the watch accuracy will be in different positions. A high beat error combined with a high amplitude can introduce knocking which will affect the accuracy negatively.

In conclusion your watch is running pretty much perfect in that position and before shipping. Can't ask for much more. A+ timegrapher numbers.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I really appreciate!

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Don't put too much importance on the data in the time grapher shot in the QC images.

It's really just there to prove that the movement is running and that it is not operating completely out of spec in that particular position with the main spring charged at much as it was (unknown variable at this point).

No sane watchmaker would send a single position shot to a customer and claim that it's a serious representation of how the watch will perform on and off the wrist in all different positions, at different temperatures, with different charging levels and so on...

Reactions: P..DR..D