• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

This is why ALL 3135 clones suck ootb

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
There are 4 3135 clones on the market:
SA3135, SH3135, VR3135 and VS3135.
The reason each of these movements will fail sooner or later, are the reversing wheels.
The SA variant has roller clutch type reversing wheels with rubies as rollers in them. While they work fine, the rubies have a tendency to break and jam the mechanism. These were the least reliable ones.
The SH, VR and VS clones copy the genuine reversing wheels very precisely, while the SH reversing wheels are simply painted, which will eventually flake off and cause trouble. I stripped the paint with acetone on my watches.
The VR reversing wheels are actually great and made fom anodized aluminium almost exactly like the genuine.
I can't comment on VS yet.

BUT they all have a common design flaw:
The metal (probably steel) ring, that's pressed into red wheel itself, is staked to be held in place.
The way the chinese factories stake them is very sloppy and causes many of them to fall apart, hence you'll often read about people recommending to install gen reversing wheels or the full autowind module.
Here's a VR reversing wheel, taken straight out of the ultrasonic cleaner after 5 minutes (note that it has fallen apart and is now considered to be junk):
Z7Csck.jpg

Last edited:

mdawgy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/17
what other gen parts would people recommend replacing in clone movements? would a gen balance wheel be compatible with a VS3135?

watchoself

3/6/20
UK
what other gen parts would people recommend replacing in clone movements? would a gen balance wheel be compatible with a VS3135?

I compiled a few posts which I can share but here is a good summary I found

External Gen Parts:
Gen LV (B3) Apple Green Bezel
Gen crystal with LEC and AR
Gen hand set
Gen crown
Gen date wheel

Internal Gen Parts:
For improved reliability:
Complete Auto-Wind Assembly including (reversing wheels, intermediate winding wheel, Engraved Autowinding bridge and Rotor)
3135-600 Date Calendar Plate
3135-670 Intermediate Date Wheel
3135-205 Sliding Pinion Wheel / Clutch Wheel
3135-280 Hour Wheel

For date Change perfection (all parts gen):
3135-614 Date Jumper
3135-645 Date Corrector
3135-204 Winding Pinon
3135-625 Date Wheel Mounted
3135-623 Finger for Date
3135-315/615 Main Spring and barrel

General Improvements (all parts gen):
3135-635 Cam Yoke Spring
3135-130 Winding Bridge with crown wheel

Sent from the RWI App

mdawgy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/17
Urgh that formatting sucks - PM me :)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thank you! I'm thinking about replacing the autowind assembly and a gen balance bridge to match the look of gen. Do you think a gen balance bridge would be able to placed as is, or would it need to go with a gen balance wheel?

riderocket

18/9/18
Thank you! I'm thinking about replacing the autowind assembly and a gen balance bridge to match the look of gen. Do you think a gen balance bridge would be able to placed as is, or would it need to go with a gen balance wheel?

Replacing the balance bridge alone will not do it. None of the rep balance hairsprings are freesprung like gen. This translates to a different attachment to the stud.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
sorry to bump an old thread but...

how do the replacement reversing wheels (or any of the 3135 replacement parts) sold by vendors such as Watch Materials compare to the clone movement parts? Are they essentially the same?

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
sorry to bump an old thread but...

how do the replacement reversing wheels (or any of the 3135 replacement parts) sold by vendors such as Watch Materials compare to the clone movement parts? Are they essentially the same?
Sorry .. Forgot link..