• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Aquanaut 5167A Dial Discussion

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Hello fellow RWI members -

After searching, discussing and reading, I've found that there isn't a singular post where one can learn about the various dials available for the 5167A. I've grouped together a few photos to that will hopefully help other members determine which they'd rather go with. I'm not sure one is the be all and end all - it will depend on which flaws you're willing to accept, if you care about lume color, etc. I've sourced these photos from TDs and non-TDs, and have chosen to avoid posting photos sent to me by the great modders in this forum without their approval. I have however included one photo from an old sale post with a relumed 3KF dial.

I have not yet chosen which I'd rather go with. Would be great to hear the experts in the forum chime in!

Keep in mind: Newer gens look more "white" whereas older gens also have the greenish tint. There is variation between gen dials as well. To aggregate comments from other posts here, Major Williams commented that:

"3KF dial has lume that's too yellow, and the bubbles aren't raised enough, but is the best currently available from the hour index perspective. It's still not a very good dial though overall for a couple of main reasons.

ZF dial is not glossy and not raised enough, but is still better than BUFF/SWF.

All that said SWF has better sunburst than ZF and 3KF, but is a $500 upgrade that has stickers for lume."

GEN:

SW (with SW hands, I believe):

BUFF (with buff hands):

Another BUFF:

3KF stock from a recent QC:

Relumed 3KF dial and painted second hand pinion:

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Just ordered mine this morning. I will post up QC's after approval (and assuming I can get one that isn't hugely flawed). I am really on the fence as recent QC's i've found show some misalignment of the 11's and visible glue residue left under some of the markers. This is that QC that was posted 10 days ago from 3KF.

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
I did a full build with Legend, send him a PM so he can tell you his prices because it includes other mods.

Strap is from etsy

Reactions: Whybother

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Can somebody tell SW to stop using adhesive for the numerals on their dials?
Buff's dial looks like there is a bit of color difference ( of the dial itself, not lume)

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Can somebody tell SW to stop using adhesive for the numerals on their dials?
Buff's dial looks like there is a bit of color difference ( of the dial itself, not lume)
It is not an easy dial to catch on camera to be honest and varies a lot with light

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Am I the only one who thinks a relume of the 3KF dial is the way to go? Know it’s hard to do but if done well

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Am I the only one who thinks a relume of the 3KF dial is the way to go? Know it’s hard to do but if done well
No, there's other members here who've done it

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Did CTime give you any indication of cost for the buff dial? Do you know if that is on a 3KF base / 3kf datewheel?

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
From a TD blog today it was referenced in translated gibberish as "modification project grenade" using 3KF as a base. I'm assuming this is the same Buff Dial + DW + Hands referenced above? Can anyone confirm (so at least i'll know what i'm asking the TD for?)

Reactions: LeBron

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Here are some pics of the SW dial. In reality it seems very close to the Buff dial, other than the shape of the numbers.

Reactions: LeBron