• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The RWI Running Club

trb1971

3/6/15
A few of us on this forum are getting together and forming a bit of a virtual running club, and this is your first stop.
So Welcome to The RWI Running Club

So it's not about how fast, far or where, it's just about running and sharing it with everyone on here. We are all based around the world so it should be fun to see other people runs. We can cheer each other on and see each other's progress.

As I post this the holidays are coming, and a lot of people may start running in the new year, so I hope the timing of this may be good and useful for a few members.

So first things first, it doesn't matter how new or experienced you are, this should be a place where old runners can help new runners. Share tips, training programs, and stuff like that.
Hopefully there will be some trainers out there who can help us hit pb's, longer distance, and avoid injuries.

Maybe be we can set some distance and climb challenges as well keep it interesting.

I also think it is worth mentioning that different people will have different approaches and techniques to training and running. Take from each persons experiences and advice they offer, what you will, don't brush it aside as rubbish. It works for them it may or not work for you.

Next up I have created a club on Strava that anyone can join. It will give you a place you can upload your runs, data and anything related to your run, as well as a way you can share it on here.
The club can be found here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/rwi-running

Finally the last thing that I can think of at the moment is:

The First Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club.
The Second Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club
The Third
Rule of The RWI Running Club is: If someone goes limp, yells stop, or collapses, pause there Chronograph.
The Fourth Rule: Runs will go on for as long as they have to.
Fifth and final rule.....if it is your first post here...you have to post a run within 24hrs

Welcome and have fun

mincus8

29/10/14
A few of us on this forum are getting together and forming a bit of a virtual running club, and this is your first stop.
So Welcome to The RWI Running Club

So it's not about how fast, far or where, it's just about running and sharing it with everyone on here. We are all based around the world so it should be fun to see other people runs. We can cheer each other on and see each other's progress.

As I post this the holidays are coming, and a lot of people may start running in the new year, so I hope the timing of this may be good and useful for a few members.

So first things first, it doesn't matter how new or experienced you are, this should be a place where old runners can help new runners. Share tips, training programs, and stuff like that.
Hopefully there will be some trainers out there who can help us hit pb's, longer distance, and avoid injuries.

Maybe be we can set some distance and climb challenges as well keep it interesting.

I also think it is worth mentioning that different people will have different approaches and techniques to training and running. Take from each persons experiences and advice they offer, what you will, don't brush it aside as rubbish. It works for them it may or not work for you.

Next up I have created a club on Strava that anyone can join. It will give you a place you can upload your runs, data and anything related to your run, as well as a way you can share it on here.
The club can be found here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/rwi-running

Finally the last thing that I can think of at the moment is:

The First Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club.
The Second Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club
The Third
Rule of The RWI Running Club is: If someone goes limp, yells stop, or collapses, pause there Chronograph.
The Fourth Rule: Runs will go on for as long as they have to.
Fifth and final rule.....if it is your first post here...you have to post a run within 24hrs

Welcome and have fun

This is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdw1

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/16
Conus (Tennessee)
[MENTION=104149]trb1971[/MENTION]
Glad you got this up and running.
I'll be glad to drop any running / triathlon related advise anyone may have. Just post it here as I don't keep up my pm box very well. Lol!
As for the run in 24hours?
I ran a track workout lastnight.
Hope that counts cause I pulled my back this morning lifting wrong so I'm down for a day or five. :,(
Track workout was 4x50, 4x200, 4x400 then reverse. Focused on overall form at just above race pace.
No garmin lastnight. Just a metronome & a stopwatch [emoji846]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

trb1971

3/6/15
Good to see you guys and yes pdw1 that can count... just this once :)

mincus8

29/10/14
K, everyone, list your PB's 5km, 10km, 1/2, full, ultra's, races planned for 2017, and of course, your favourite rep.

trb1971

3/6/15
Well just for the record I am on my taper at the mo for the marathon but to keep to the rules this was my little run today.
And I my garmin was charging ready so I used ny bike computer instead, and uploaded that. What it means is that it probabky wontbuoload to strava. Do here is my run within 24hrs on Garmin Connect.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1470549398

trb1971

3/6/15
K, everyone, list your PB's 5km, 10km, 1/2, full, ultra's, races planned for 2017, and of course, your favourite rep.

So my PB are

5k is: 34:14
My PB at 10k is: 1:08:14
nothing for half full of ultras yet, just training runs. And I'll keep you posted on whats in store for 2017

mincus8

29/10/14
So my PB are

5k is: 34:14
My PB at 10k is: 1:08:14
nothing for half full of ultras yet, just training runs. And I'll keep you posted on whats in store for 2017

You forgot your fave rep!

mincus8

29/10/14
5 km - 17:54
10km - 37:15
1/2 - 1:21:54
Marathon - 3:03:23
Ultras - none....yet at least ;)
Favorite Rep - Probably the Pam 372
GPS - Garmin Forerunner 410

D

d4m.test

So pleased to see this happen. I'm a heavy set guy, 210lbs at only 5ft10, rugby player shape. I certainly can't do 'fast' and I can't run the persistent distance I used to (65km a week as my knees cant handle it) but I manage about 30-40km a week still. My PB's are

5k - 25:12

10k - 52:01

1/2 - only ever done one and it was way too packed (48,000 strong) to get a decent time. Finished 2:09 but could have easily done 1:50 if not for the people traffic.

Never done a full or anything more. Yet!!

Fave rep, my AP RBII

GPS - iPhone with Sports Tracker

Sent from my generic fruit phone via the RWI mobile app

trb1971

3/6/15
That is because I haven't decided yet. To be fair I have a few and I've sort of collected the ones that I like. Soo sometimes I'm loving my B&R then next week its my PAM616.
Right now I'm loving my AP's and permanently rocking my MH.

But I'm taking my Hub diver and Lebron to Hawaii with me, so those are probably my next favs.

Out of the ones I don't have. I joined here because I wanted an AP ROO Survivor and wanted to learn a LOT more before I went for one. (I'm fighting to NOT go for the one in the M2M section) And I love the Bumblebee and Safari's although the legacy caught my eye the other day hmmmmmmm.

That what I tend to find something just catches my eye and its my new fav :)
Right now it s a blue marker BR-02

GPS is a Garmin Fenix 3 - there is no substitute

Hows that for starters :)

trb1971

3/6/15
So pleased to see this happen. I'm a heavy set guy, 210lbs at only 5ft10, rugby player shape. I certainly can't do 'fast' and I can't run the persistent distance I used to (65km a week as my knees cant handle it) but I manage about 30-40km a week still. My PB's are

5k - 25:12

10k - 52:01

1/2 - only ever done one and it was way too packed (48,000 strong) to get a decent time. Finished 2:09 but could have easily done 1:50 if not for the people traffic.

Never done a full or anything more. Yet!!

Fave rep, my AP RBII

GPS - iPhone with Sports Tracker

Sent from my generic fruit phone via the RWI mobile app

Nice and welcome to the club sir.

So..so far I'm the slowest.

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
*fifth rule exception*

I see some good friends of mine here and wanted to ask a question rather than post times. I am not a runner but it's been slowly becoming one of the things I really want to get into mainly for daily stress relief, weight loss and other health benefits. How would you approach a startup from "zero" as i think currently I will be able to run maybe if a lion is behind me and even then I would be considered easy dinner. I have slowly been walking a little faster and faster and walking about 2-3miles a day but that's also went wayside with the snow starting to fall? Any suggestions on getting me to a point where I can do a 5k or even 1/2 marathon?

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
*fifth rule exception*

I see some good friends of mine here and wanted to ask a question rather than post times. I am not a runner but it's been slowly becoming one of the things I really want to get into mainly for daily stress relief, weight loss and other health benefits. How would you approach a startup from "zero" as i think currently I will be able to run maybe if a lion is behind me and even then I would be considered easy dinner. I have slowly been walking a little faster and faster and walking about 2-3miles a day but that's also went wayside with the snow starting to fall? Any suggestions on getting me to a point where I can do a 5k or even 1/2 marathon?
Just use the principle of progression, slowly increasing duration and resistance. But the key is to not run too much. Incorporate a variety of cardiovascular exercises so that you can push your cardiovascular abilities without overworking specifuc mechanics.

For example if you just start running every day more and more sure your heart, lungs and muscles will become more efficient with their work. But you run the risk of overworking your knees, getting shin splints ect. So rather do 20 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of biking, 20 minutes of plyometrics. The next day change your emphasis to more running. Then the next day don't run at all but meet your training requirements through other means.

Principles of periodicity and progression.

Once you ensure to have a level of fitness, proper mobility and you are stronger at that point you can specialize on your running.

All that being said Imho it's not a good idea to run and only run, especially as we age. Our bodies become less tolerant to repetitive activities. The key to a good running program is variety

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk