• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lume Shots..Help!!

Wira

Known Member
29/6/11
Can anybody share with me on how to take photos of lume shots?? I'm using a dslr camera. (acting like expert)..lol.. but i know nuts on using it and the settings.

Or is it about the lights setting of the room should be adjusted.. Or i guess its just that my watches do not possess such great lumes like you guys do :(

Also do share with me if an Iphone camera can do a better job since the dslr camera is a complicated piece of gadget to me..

Looking forward for some answers, Please..

Thks in advance.. :)

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
ok, i cant find my thread on taking lume shots..

but u'll need a stable hand or a tripod.. the key is to keep the camera stable while the shutter is OPEN..

as for settings.. u SHOULD be able to get lume shots with a shutter speed of 1/100 or less.. depends on how charged your lume is.. best thing to charge your lume is with a UV torch.. they're pretty cheap.. if not, direct exposure to lighting for about 5secs or more..

Wira

Known Member
29/6/11
Thks to both chromed, bama1965 n those trying to assist! :). Really useful guidance n info on lume shots! Hopefully i can snap some beautiful lume shots on my watches soon!

Really appreciate it. ;)

Del

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
15/7/10
Maybe this will also help.

The way I set up my lume shots is very straightforward as follows:-

1. Camera must be on a tripod.
2. Set camera to Aperture Priority mode.
3. Set f-stop to circa F10.
4. ISO set to 100.
5. Manual focus.
6. Set camera to 2s delayed shutter opening (to avoid camera shake).
7. Select location for the shot - a walk-in cupboard is ideal as you have no windows leaking in light.
8. Set up the shot with lights on - much easier to get manual focus correct in the light!
9. Take some shots in the light to ensure focus and composition is as desired.
10. Switch off light in readiness for the shot.
11. "Charge" lume in situ with a bright torch (I use an LED Lenser P7) without moving the watch to preserve focus, etc...
12. Switch off the torch ;) and press the shutter!
13. You can then experiment with different light levels, e.g. leave the torch on but shine it into the floor to give a slight increase in light, etc..
14. Finally, use a photo editing package to crop or adjust white balance or adjust colour temperature or to put on borders or whatever - it's amazing how much better you can make a photo with some simple editing!

Hope this helps! :)

And one of mine as an example....a super-lumed Skyland v3. You will see that I've allowed some light into the shot so that you can actually see the dial details while still keeping it dark enough for the lume to shine brightly.

p2158307v2.jpg