• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Bitcoin Thread

physicx

Horology Curious
17/11/19
My crypto fund is now a rep fund. So ends my crypto investment career.

This was me at the around 2019, but instead of reps, I'd buy some other things on the DW. Those few hundreds of $ back then, are worth thousands now..But that's how thing goes I suppose. Reminds me of that guy that bought two pizzas for 10,000 BTC 11 years ago.

Rollie4Life

28/7/19
This was me at the around 2019, but instead of reps, I'd buy some other things on the DW. Those few hundreds of $ back then, are worth thousands now..But that's how thing goes I suppose. Reminds me of that guy that bought two pizzas for 10,000 BTC 11 years ago.

Everyone’s a genius in hindsight.

That guy could also have been hit by a car the following week and then that pizza would have been worth it. Lol

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
How’s not a bad time to think about investing, the market is going down and is about 30-40% lower than in March, psychology makes people want to invest in a rising market, where in reality real money is made when buying in a down market, another mistake that people make is that they read of all the headline making stories and think it’s going to make them instantly rich.

of course crypto is notoriously volatile and big gains and losses can be made in a short period of time, but you need to look at it in a longer time frame, after all you wouldn’t buy apple shares and expect to sell them a month later at a huge profit. There are several coins out there that have great potential, I quite heavily invested in some and am sitting here with more funds to throw in, just watching the drop at the moment and waiting for the right time., I’m looking at a time scale of anywhere between 1-3 years depending on the market to see some real gains. But it’s crypto so who knows, there’s many expecting large gains towards the end of the year, others are sayin 3 years.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I missed the 64k High, I would have been very tempted to cash out at that as that would have been some 40K AUD on an investment of less than 10k.

No I don't need it but I'm not really in a position to lose the gain either which is why it's such a difficult decision to make. I wish I had the skill and nerve to day trade BTC; I was watching a live ticker a few days ago and my account was going up and down by several hundred over the space of an hour.

I know this is a bit of a late reply, only just seen this thread, never be afraid to take profits, there’s no gains or losses until you buy or sell until then it’s just a number on the screen, at the very least once sufficient profit allows take out your initial investment, so what’s left is basically “free” money, it psychologically takes a lot of stress out of investing once your in that mindset.

ps. Please don’t day trade, unless you can sit in front of the screen for most of your time and never ever leverage Take it from someone who’s tried, it’s the quickest way to lose money

physicx

Horology Curious
17/11/19
How’s not a bad time to think about investing, the market is going down and is about 30-40% lower than in March, psychology makes people want to invest in a rising market, where in reality real money is made when buying in a down market, another mistake that people make is that they read of all the headline making stories and think it’s going to make them instantly rich.

of course crypto is notoriously volatile and big gains and losses can be made in a short period of time, but you need to look at it in a longer time frame, after all you wouldn’t buy apple shares and expect to sell them a month later at a huge profit. There are several coins out there that have great potential, I quite heavily invested in some and am sitting here with more funds to throw in, just watching the drop at the moment and waiting for the right time., I’m looking at a time scale of anywhere between 1-3 years depending on the market to see some real gains. But it’s crypto so who knows, there’s many expecting large gains towards the end of the year, others are sayin 3 years.

Excellent post. As I said previously, there's always money to be made, both ways, whether the market is going up or down. But I agree, the period before retail money flows in, is where people should actually accumulate.

While people have made tens, hundreds of thousands/millions on meme coins, I actually think these 'projects' were actually pretty counter-productive for the crypto space in the end. Vitalik selling off the SHIB set off a much needed 'purge' IMO.

Rollie4Life

28/7/19

My 5 cents worth:

There is a saying for property investing in my country that the best time to invest was 10 years ago. The second best time is now.

The difference with crypto currency is it is not a traditionally tangible asset or a historically safe asset. And imo it should not be compared to them.

You have the chance to make great gains relative to traditional investments but also a chance to loose a lot of money. Anyone that tells you otherwise is ignorant or telling you half the story.

As an example you can easily have a situation where governments ban the currency around the world or servery diminish it's benefits. While there will be a place for crypto it may not be as valuable. People forget historic bubbles of the past. Not to mention the amount of 'free' stimulus money floating around at the moment is crazy - further inflating asset prices.

Bitcoin is not going to disappear in the short-medium term as more and more funds are looking for exposure to bitcoin but only in very small percentage terms because of the inherent risks. IMO this is all about risk vs return, if your matrix leans towards taking then risk go for it. But the idea this is a safe investment is wrong. Gains are not guaranteed, even if you hold.

I really take an issue with the media first drumming up crypto and then scaring off retail investors. Many mum and dad investors are loosing money hands over fists as they panic and sell on every dip.

Not only because they are misinformed but because they are most likely over exposed.

The way i play it is traditionally my investment portfolio had about 20% high risk exposure. This was my risk matrix i was comfortable with. I have invested half of that into crypto over the last few years.

I was happy to loose that 10% or let it run. As i like to balance my risk I already cashed out my initial investment and will let gains run. I will not invest anymore income into it for now either - prefer spending it on myself.

But the stories i hear of people selling their homes to buy Bitcoin are just ludicrous.

Nothing is guaranteed in life my friends, that is besides death and taxes.

Maybe one caveat here, something that has always worked for me - human psychology can often be relied upon and i find the best time to trade is actually when it involves more retail traders. While i can't agree with the way it happens and feel for the people that loose out. From a purely objective perspective, when your talking gains it is a great time.

Last edited:

Rezorios

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
MULTI ACCOUNT
9/2/21
This is why you should not keep all your assets in one crypto, as it is much more effective to diversify your assets.

Basik9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/22
Do you guys think that crypto is able to make a comeback?

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Do you guys think that crypto is able to make a comeback?
Personally i think that the 'sentiment' is not what it was.

In 2014 the MtGox fiasco was the exception.

Only this year we had the TerraLuna Crash, then the Celsius Bankrupt,then Voyager bankrupt, then FTX Bankrupt and finally BlockFI too.
Now it's like....normality.

I think that ETH is not going to recovery anytime soon, BTC will have the halving in 2024...who know...but for sure the Crypto Winter will be long !

Basik9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/22
Personally i think that the 'sentiment' is not what it was.

In 2014 the MtGox fiasco was the exception.

Only this year we had the TerraLuna Crash, then the Celsius Bankrupt,then Voyager bankrupt, then FTX Bankrupt and finally BlockFI too.
Now it's like....normality.

I think that ETH is not going to recovery anytime soon, BTC will have the halving in 2024...who know...but for sure the Crypto Winter will be long !
True. Do you think that BTC will go below 10k $?

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
True. Do you think that BTC will go below 10k $?
Slowly, yes.

BTC exists only beacause there is still NOT a Digital USD or a Digital EUR.
I mean, official digital currencies.

When they will be finally released, BTC value will be drastically readjusted.