• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

Action_Jensen

Known Member
20/4/21
Thanks, for the measurements both of you.
Yeah i encountered something similar on my raffles acrylic case. SK T21 fits very well, Clark T21 has a little bit of play. I only have some cheap digital calipers at hand so i am not to sure about my measures but your theory could have some truth in it

Reactions: 369mafia

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
Here some spec for Rolex crystal

To me, the bezel have to be lower in height than the raffle one, 2.5mm not fit right with the t22 as it is the height of the raffle one, for me the raffle case is design to receive saphire crystal, that's why the bezel is 2.5mm, to have a suffisant fit on the upper part of the bezel.

Not sure but I suspect raffle acrylic case to be some case that are out of spec for saphire and recycle with acrylic glass glued on... It's really a speculation, I will order some saphire version to measure the diameter on the crystal fitment.

Raffle told me that the acrylic crystal are glued to have a better water resistance, from a crystal to another the fitment on the middle case varies, I have a sternkreuz t21 that fit well, and my other replacement crystal are a bit loose on the this part. You can check here, the most complete information I ve found for Rolex tropic diameter

Thanks for this information! For reference, the left case is the old sapphire case (4-5 yrs old, fitted with Sternkreuz T21), right the new acrylic case (both from Raffles). Bezels appear identical (to me):

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hey there,
I have a question, regarding the raffles case and tropic 21 crystal:
If I were to find a gen 1600 bezel, would it just fit on the case and crystal or would modifications be required?

Cheers

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hey there,
I have a question, regarding the raffles case and tropic 21 crystal:
If I were to find a gen 1600 bezel, would it just fit on the case and crystal or would modifications be required?

Cheers
without measurements, there is only one way to find out

freebalkany

24/8/21
As the outside diameter is the same as for the T21, it looks like it will need modification if you are using Raffles sapphire case (which requires a slight shaving off the bezel to fit a T21):
You mean shaving off the bezel inner diameter?
But why is that?

wmass

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/22
Here some spec for Rolex crystal

To me, the bezel have to be lower in height than the raffle one, 2.5mm not fit right with the t22 as it is the height of the raffle one, for me the raffle case is design to receive saphire crystal, that's why the bezel is 2.5mm, to have a suffisant fit on the upper part of the bezel.

Not sure but I suspect raffle acrylic case to be some case that are out of spec for saphire and recycle with acrylic glass glued on... It's really a speculation, I will order some saphire version to measure the diameter on the crystal fitment.

Raffle told me that the acrylic crystal are glued to have a better water resistance, from a crystal to another the fitment on the middle case varies, I have a sternkreuz t21 that fit well, and my other replacement crystal are a bit loose on the this part. You can check here, the most complete information I ve found for Rolex tropic diameter

well thats a bummer about the raffles acrylic case having the crystal glued in. how does one remedy this from a service perspective? can this be converted to traditional acrylic and gasket?

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
I understand, but I meant using a gen bezel (1600) on a raffles mid-case
well thats a bummer about the raffles acrylic case having the crystal glued in. how does one remedy this from a service perspective? can this be converted to traditional acrylic and gasket?
On my gen 1603, and on many other vintage watches, there is no gasket. It should be no problem to loosen the glue by heating the case in an oven, and a simple switch to the T21.

wmass

17/4/22
On my gen 1603, and on many other vintage watches, there is no gasket. It should be no problem to loosen the glue by heating the case in an oven, and a simple switch to the T21.
thanks for that clarification. and the T21 is then applied with glue as well?

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
thanks for that clarification. and the T21 is then applied with glue as well?
It depends on how tightly the crystal fits over the lip of the Raffles case. An earlier post in this thread suggests the Sternkreutz T21 fits tightly, and if the bezel fits tightly enough over the crystal, there should be no need for glue.
I would suggest a thin smear of silicone sealant anyway. I always assume my gen and rep builds are at best splashproof… all my gens had corrosion at the caseback, so I assume my reps are more water resistant than the gens!

Last edited:

wmass

17/4/22
It depends on how tightly the crystal fits over the lip of the Raffles case. An earlier post in this thread suggests the Sternkreutz T21 fits tightly, and if the bezel fits tightly enough over the crystal, there should be no need for glue.
I would suggest a thin smear of silicone sealant anyway. I always assume my gen and rep builds are at best splashproof… all my gens had corrosion at the caseback, so I assume my reps are more water resistant than the gens!
interesting, thanks again. so this friction fit type of approach to the crystal and the bezel over the crystal was the gen water proofing method. the sealant is the insurance. If one wanted to use a gasket, a new crystal is then needed all together - which is now the sapphire version of this raffles case. I wonder if the sapphire on that version of the case is raised at all or if its flush with the bezel.

1675lover

Known Member
23/7/22
interesting, thanks again. so this friction fit type of approach to the crystal and the bezel over the crystal was the gen water proofing method. the sealant is the insurance. If one wanted to use a gasket, a new crystal is then needed all together - which is now the sapphire version of this raffles case. I wonder if the sapphire on that version of the case is raised at all or if its flush with the bezel.
It’s sort of stepped, the top part is about 30.5mm in diameter, bottom is 29.5mm.

The original sapphire crystal that comes with it pops off pretty easily so it should be quite simple to put on a t21.

Reactions: wmass and 369mafia

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
What’s the general consensus on the best rep 1016 dial that’s fits a gen 1570 movement?

1016 lover

4/10/22
To me, the most well done could be mochacha or viet (ruby, yuki, helenarou) , I will try one day as mochacha sell some refinish dial, perfect for a 1570, they look well done by old school technic, I ve saw some whoopy exemplar that look stellar too, but think it's only possible to find in m2m sale, after it's possible to rework and it depend on the man talent