• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build a Pressure Tester for 30 Dollars

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
This was going through my head when I couldn't sleep. Might make one today.
What about gluing a ring to the inside vert surface of the bottle (not in a place that would interfere with the lid seal). Could tie a string to it, and the watch to suspend it. Not a better mousetrap, but a variation on the theme that might make it easier than the tape.

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
MADE THE PRESSURE TESTER!
Yes, I'm psyched. It's pretty cool.

So, for a watch that advertises 10atm/330 feet resistance, "they" say you can swim with it.
How many PSI in the bottle would be a reasonable simulation of that level?

Didn't mod a watch, but did mod the pressure tester:
$9.99 Bottle at EMS
$2.99 Valve Stem at Autozone. Drill 1/2 inch hole in the bottle close enough to the top so you can pull the stem through while pushing it from the inside. The stem is 0.453 inches at the narrowest part (where the valve is) so don't bother buying a 7/16 drill bit. It's the base of the stem that's the important size.
The cap was leaking so I bought the Lube Stick for $1.29 and wiped it around the top of the bottle. As above, had to tighten it as I pumped it up but it worked. Got it to 40 psi. (Already owned a bike pump).
Pics below. Thanks mucrewbtp, and vejaman/avitt for the Autozone tip w/ pics.

Outside View
100_0874.jpg

View looking down into the inside of the bottle
100_0875.jpg

I'll let you figure this one out
100_0876.jpg

jkwhyd

30/5/07
Any one know how much pressure the Nalgene bottle can with stand? Any problem with the bottle exploding under pressure?

jk

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Hmmmmm well if anyone wants to donate a bottle Ill put it up to 300psi and report at what pressure it explodes at =)

we have safety stuff at work to test this kinda thing!

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Hmmmmm well if anyone wants to donate a bottle Ill put it up to 300psi and report at what pressure it explodes at =)

we have safety stuff at work to test this kinda thing!

Donate a bottle? Aww, come on Smidsy. Mine cost US$9 at Eastern Mountain Sports. You DO have the "outdoors" in the UK, don't you? So you probably have EMS or some similar place. With the dollar today, that's probably about 1 pound, or 4 Squid, or 2 stone or something. ;)

Come to think of it, if you European guys are so progressive that you use the metric system, why do you still have that wonky currency system?

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
LOL we dont have this brand its american... theyre £13.00 here......

actually Im offended; the currency here is pounds shillings and pence..... I know in the colonies you still use the USD however those people who still correctly recognise the Queen's authority =D luckily you have those good neighbours to the north....

we have miles per hour but for most other things we use metric.... SI units as it were....

ill try to source one of the bottles.... i'll see if the man will trade it for 2 chickens.

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Yeah, cause you don't want to trade for the heffers with Mad Cow disease.
:D

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Ha! we wern't the only ones with that problem... now before the flame war starts...

i sourced one and will blow it up for your pleasure =)

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
i sourced one and will blow it up for your pleasure =)
Awesome!
Don't know if you remember "The Farm Report" from the "SCTV" show. Dave Thomas and I think Rick Moranis would have guests on, then blow them up.
"Hey. He blowed up good"
"Yeah! He blowed up reeal good!"

Will you have video? Time lapse pictures?

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Ill do my best... its being shipped from germany so bear with me lol.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
How many PSI in the bottle would be a reasonable simulation of that level?
A level of 10 ATM? Um, how about 10 ATM? :p

The valve would be better in the cap if there is room. Placing it in the side wall will reduce the strength of the wall. Mind you, at least you know where it's gunna blow!

Col.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
well quite... Im going to put mesh round it to stop the eventual explosion.... possibly laminate it too to catch the pieces and then put it in one of our extractor rooms and blow it up.... for *cough* science!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
ANYTHING is oke if it's for science! :lol:

Col.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
parts shipped should be here this week =D anyone know what the rating on those seals on the top are? I recon that theyll go first....

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
UPDATE: went to 5atm then leaks from the lid.... trailboss recommends no more but @3atm you should all be okay =)

update 2: 6atm = valve fail... as in the bottle expanded so much the valve was no longer sealed....

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Thanks Smidsy. Science appreciates you.
OK, lets translate that into English for people who want to know what the hell this all means (like me):
Check my numbers, but I'm trying to translate the pressure test into what I can really do.

I have an Invicta that claims to be water resistant to 100 meters/330 feet, but those in the know (including the instructions that came with the watch) say that means you can wash your hands and swim with it, but really only swim if it has a screw down crown.

From wikipedia: 14.7 psi=1 ATM. That's the air pressure we face at sea level.
When In water: for each 10 feet of depth, figure about 4.4 psi increase in pressure.
So to use round numbers: 30 psi is ~2 ATM, 45 psi is ~3 ATM
Going 10 feet deep in a pool is about 44 psi. I used those numbers to create this table:

Depth...........PSI...........ATM
0................. 14.7..........1.0
5 .................36.7..........2.5

(Whew. It is impossible to make tables in these posts)

Conclusions:
1) Use of the term ATM to describe what a watch can tolerate is TOTALLY useless. Nobody dives in a 4 ATM pool, they dive into a 10 ft pool.
2) My watch can handle 300 feet? NFW. I'd be at 101 ATM. It would fail, and so would I.
3) The numbers on the watches are BS (but we all knew that)
4) To feel that a watch is "safe" to wear when diving in the average 10 foot deep pool, it should be able to be subjected to a preesure test at 58 psi without showing a real rapid stream of bubbles when the pressure is dropped to indicate that it's water resistant at that level (Rolex calls their watches 'pressure resistant')

Sound correct?

References:
wikipedia.com
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_water_pressure_increase_per_vertical_foot

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
FYI I have some military grade submarine (no joke) epoxy... crank it up further...

yes youre correct about the pressures BUT when you swim youre subjecting the watch to FAR more pressure - hence why 100m = only for swimming.