• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss Smartwatches

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
What's your take on Swiss Watchmakers that also start producing smartwatches?

Personally I think it's a complete miss and is not at all why we want to buy a swiss watch. I honestly lose a bit of respect for any brand I see that come out with one of those.

Caesar

Grand Poobah
16/1/17
Lady's Island, SC
Kind of silly for them to be getting into the smartwatch game. Unless they are paired with a big-time electronics company that can make it work functionally the way people need a smartwatch to function. I am all for innovation of all sorts, so I say let them take a swing at it. After all, nobody is forcing anyone to buy it.

DanielMeier

Horology Curious
8/3/17
So far smartphone watches are intending to get into the low end range of the industry, if you exclude the one apple gold watch for 15k.

For manufactuer in the low to the middle price range, it's quite interesting to produce in smartwatches, since these kind of watches are popular for the younger people.

It's not that bad to win over new young customers who might later buy an automatic watch. Much better than loosing them to the "empty-wrists guys".

Sent from the RWI App

Juhani

Known Member
18/1/16
I find smartwatches generally objectionable but I think it's a good thing that the swiss are trying to get involved.
It's actually a pretty clever way to get people onto the horological team.

As we all know, the Swiss have a bad reputation with adopting new technology. So I think this is a good move on their part to avoid any holes in the market that could otherwise attempt to fill. I certainly don't think smartwatches are going to have a quartz effect on the Swiss but it's still reassuring to know they aren't completely turning their noses up to the idea.

Anyway what's out there right now? I'm only familiar with Tag making a smartwatch and I think they had a deal where you can trade it in plus cash for a real watch later down the line. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.