• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Swissness" No legal requirement for "Swiss Made"

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Yes I'm aware of that but they are not doing it totally legally (as far as calling it Italian Made goes) and we are talking state laws regarding what it takes to be called "made in Xxxx" not what the markup of a product is.

I see your point now... Sorry my anger blinded me!! :) I cant argue with that because I dont know what italian laws state... But if I had to guess Id guess the laws are pretty relaxed there too!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The heck of it is when you try to tell people the truth they either don't care or just don't believe a word of what you are saying. I have tried several times in the past. Now I just don't bother trying. :facepalm:
Mate people don't want to know that their 400 dollar Hermes silk tie cost $30 (at most) to make and box.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I cant argue with that because I dont know what italian laws state... But if I had to guess Id guess the laws are pretty relaxed there too!!
They are, just not as lax as the Swiss ones.

Thomas Carey

Known Member
6/3/13
Anyone else like to share your thoughts? Personally I expect price increases on those "Swiss Made" watches if only for the reason that now they have an excuse to jack up those prices.

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
The one thing I learned is that "Swiss Made" is nothing more than an effort to re-brand components mostly sourced from other countries. It's a big Swiss con to be blunt. Also I found that the German laws were even more lax..

I get that and it's a shame. I'm sure consumers think it means "solely and completely" Swiss made. That includes me years ago. I could better accept it if at least the "guts", hands to rotor, were 100% Swiss. It's silly to even put it on the dial at this point.

My two Swiss gens were bought used and I don't have the original packaging. Do these companies allude anywhere in/on the box/papers that parts were made in other countries specifically? "Case made in China" would hamper Rollie sales a bit me thinks.

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
All luxury stuff is a big con.

There are people out there with so much money they don't know what to do with... Their need for spending has to be catered for!