• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Submariner bezel fade

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
Any ideas how to get the rare chocolate bezel fade out of a five digit insert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo1979

Certified
8/6/16
Would leaving it under a UV light for a few days have an effect?

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
The one piece of info I have read was to bake it in the oven at 250 Celsius. Depending on the age (newer) bleach for a few minutes, then bake. I tried it first with a rep insert. No go. Probably the type of paint.

Im looking to franken my tc, so if I find a complete bezel assembly... I’ll try it.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Any ideas how to get the rare chocolate bezel fade out of a five digit insert?

That sure is one rare fade, because I've never seen a chocolate/tropical bezel on a 5 digit Sub.

• Haha
Reactions: d4v3

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
You can use a blow torch (small ones they use in kitchens for creme brûlée).
It gives it a nice brown / chocolate color.

Here is a pic of some

84f7bee81412b700a8dcb259a7eeaffd.jpg

Here’s one that You can see from black to brown.

d131f9029beb329b01209b4880e9eef1.jpg

Just make sure you have a pair of tweezers or something to hold the insert with so you don’t burn your hands and make sure to remove the pearl so you don’t melt it away.

I would do it gradually because it will keep “cooking” for a little while after you take the flame off of it.

Good luck!

Reactions: Svitzer

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Remove the pearl, put the insert in a flat aluminum pan and put it on the stovetop. Turn the burner on to med and watch it closely. Remove it from heat frequently and shake it around to make sure it's not sticking. Examine it constantly for the shade you want. I take it slow as it can run away from you if you just let it cook.

Endo

Known Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
UK
Just stumbled on this thread after having a read of another very similar thread. Again I’m travelling back in time a little.

@KJ2020 I love the method you talk about, it’s a very even fade/change (for a lack of a better word) and a lot similar to a Crown Art Customs outcome - which I am trying to achieve.

I’ll have a little play with the method you spoke about and update this thread when I get a chance. Thank you

Reactions: KJ2020

bigkat725

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/19
Ive played with combinations of heat and bleach. Usually tried to go bleach first to lose the dark black and then hit it with a lighter to get the brown. I love the blowtorch idea. Buy some super cheap stuff to practice as I messed this up multiple times

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
Ive played with combinations of heat and bleach. Usually tried to go bleach first to lose the dark black and then hit it with a lighter to get the brown. I love the blowtorch idea. Buy some super cheap stuff to practice as I messed this up multiple times
I think the blowtorch idea isn't that great. You want even heating spread out across the bezel to get a uniform look. Doing this with a torch or lighter would be quite hard to get even.

Almost chef blowtorches are pretty much the same as any other blowtorch you can buy from a gas station that people use for weed, you don't need to go on williams sonoma/sur la table to get one lol.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've cooked a pearl to black before so I take them out now before baking or frying.

The guy in the video does another one with bleach, look it up. Both were new blistered gen inserts, heh.

Reactions: d4v3