• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap and wrist measurements

GatorMike

21/12/10
Crocodile, what is your recommended way to measure one's wrist to insure a great fit with one of your straps? Thanks ahead...

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
Thanks for asking Mike, this is helpful to everyone...

Measure around your wrist in inches. If you don't have a flexible ruler, use a piece of string and lay that against a straight ruler. This size guide was found online and I adjusted it because I think stock sizes from online retailers are ridiculous. Panerai straps should have length and thickness IMO. With a 7" wrist, a 125x75mm strap that is around 4-5mm thick, will have the tail fit through one thick keeper and that's about it. Too small for me. This is a rough estimate for my straps.
If your wrist is..........

6.00 to 6.5in. - 120/75mm
6 ½ to 7in. - 125/80mm
7.0 to 7.5in. - 130/85mm
7.5 to 8.0in. - 135/90mm
8.0in. + - 140/85mm - 140/90mm

MM means millimeter and there is approximately 24mm in 1 inch. Most watch measurements are in millimeters because it is a lot easier to use this, rather than saying 1/24th of an inch. Lug distances are measured this way for watch strap sizing. Standard sizes range from 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 etc...

I have a 7" wrist and like my straps around 130x85mm. This leaves the shorter side in the center of the bottom of my wrist and a tail like this:
IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

Let me know your wrist size and I will let you know what I think. If you have a strap you wear now and like it, just measure that.

GatorMike

21/12/10
Excellent info. I just took a metal tape measure, and my wrist is 8 inches, with a comfortable looseness to the strap. I don't have a favorite strap yet, since they all feel too short, and not thick enough.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Great guide, Gator. My wrist is about 7.75" (down from 8" as I've recently lost some weight), and your guesstimate of a 135/85 is pretty much right on. I typically go with a 90 on thicker straps, depending on the watch, because my wrist seems to be a bit thicker than "normal" on the buckle side. 85 sometimes is not quite centered under my wrist as I like it, but not off by enough to worry about. 135 or 140 is usually just right.

Bear in mind that the straps will wear a bit longer if you are wearing a Fiddy at 47mm vs say a 111 at 44mm, but will wear shorter the thicker the strap is.

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
Thanks level.. Good point, thicker straps sometimes need to be a bit longer.

hollow-point

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/5/11
south australia
i have 3 pams inbound. 2x24 1x26. have noticed a strap and skeleton buckle. date is 05-02-2011 strap has cross on corner have 8" wrist. price for just one 24mm for giude? strap is tan

D

d4m.test

So do you take a "tight" measurement or a "comfortable" measurement?

With a flexible tape measure tight around my wrist, I'm a bit under 7.5" around. But with my watch at a very comfortable setting, I take off the watch and measure it from behind (flat on a table) from buckle to the hole and I'm a hair over 8" around. Should I use the >8" measurement, since I find that comfortable? Or will a <7.5" measurement take the extra looseness and comfort into account?

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
So do you take a "tight" measurement or a "comfortable" measurement?

With a flexible tape measure tight around my wrist, I'm a bit under 7.5" around. But with my watch at a very comfortable setting, I take off the watch and measure it from behind (flat on a table) from buckle to the hole and I'm a hair over 8" around. Should I use the >8" measurement, since I find that comfortable? Or will a <7.5" measurement take the extra looseness and comfort into account?

Always use a comfortable measurement, however you'd wear your watch is how you want the tape measure to feel.