• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strange (to me) keyless issue with 2824

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
I've never worked on a 2824, just mainly the 2836. Everything is very similar so no big deal but this came out of BP 16660 SD, I thought they only used 2836 or the clone rolex movement?

Anywho, got this off a forum and the movement would not manual wind and had some clicking feeling in the stem when winding.

I've rebuilt the keyless a couple times and its definitely correctly done, but the stem will not stay in the watch.The stop lever moves a little too freely it seems?

So other than all of the normal keyless parts, what else could be causing the crown to not stay in?

My next step is to take off rotor and access the stop lever from behind to take a look at it and anything that may be going on under there.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Did you rebuild the keyless with new parts, or just reset the old ones?

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Did you rebuild the keyless with new parts, or just reset the old ones?
Reset the old the parts, i will rebuild it with full set of keyless parts i have from a couple other movements.

Are the keyless works on 2836 and 2834 interchangeable? Everything looks pretty similar to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Reset the old the parts, i will rebuild it with full set of keyless parts i have from a couple other movements.

Are the keyless works on 2836 and 2834 interchangeable? Everything looks pretty similar to me.

Yep, they’re the same.

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
You should check the fitment of the movement in the case as well, if this is a 2836 case that someone installed a 2824 into that would explain a lot - winding issues, bent keyless parts.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The yoke doesn't look like it's seated correctly, the yoke spring tip looks like it's under the yoke - and the head of the yoke spring screw is chewed up which suggests your having difficulty seating it - it should just drop into place once the yoke is moved to one side.

If the yoke/spring aren't seated correctly then the stem won't click into place.

Yoke-LI.jpg

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
The yoke doesn't look like it's seated correctly, the yoke spring tip looks like it's under the yoke - and the head of the yoke spring screw is chewed up which suggests your having difficulty seating it - it should just drop into place once the yoke is moved to one side.

If the yoke/spring aren't seated correctly then the stem won't click into place.

Yoke-LI.jpg
Thank you trip! I'll double check it next time I tear it down. As for the chewed up aspect, I'm using the wrong tweezers for the job. Marring everything up. Waiting for some brass ones that are in the mail.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
You should check the fitment of the movement in the case as well, if this is a 2836 case that someone installed a 2824 into that would explain a lot - winding issues, bent keyless parts.
Thats the odd thing, it looked tip top in there. Maybe I'm wrong about past movements in the 16660s. Luckily I'm just robbing it of its movement for another project.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13

Yoke-LI.jpg
Swapped out all of the keyless parts with a set from a junked 2836, stem is in and working as it should now :) thank you guys, great feeling when it all works out. Wish I knew what part was off. They all look okay. Strange
b287ab820e79ddc8994dd097d888d061.jpg

Reactions: Hor-Fan