• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stop watch movement from running too fast. Demagnetise it.

TheSilentSinger

I shall sing you the song of my people
Supporter
Certified
31/5/22
Maple leaves and beavers
Hey guys, I thought I share this here in case this is not a common knowledge.

Recently I have found a few of my watches are running faster than it should. As it turns out, the office table which I leave the watches on is full of magnetised tools. Overtime, the watch movements have become somewhat magnetised causing them to run faster than usual. Apparently there are a few easy steps to remedy this.
- Buy a genuine Rolex Milgauss :D (Just joking guys, please don't flame me).

Here is the actual checklist:
- Download a free phone app called Lepsi Genève to detect magnetism.
- Buy a degausser or demagnetise tool. You could easily get one from Amazon or ebay for $20 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08FYM5YRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I did a bit of research and found a really good video tutorial which I will share below on how to demagnetise the watch.
The gist of it is:
Fire up the app and locate the magnet on the phone using a fridge magnet and tap the part of the screen where the magnet signal is the strongest. If this is done right, it should be able to tell you if you have magnetised tools or watches by hovering over the spot.
Next is the degaussing/demagnetised box. You are meant to press the red button and move the watch left to right followed by pulling it up and away from the box, very slowly. It took me a few tries with the demagnetiser, the trick is the slower you move it, the better. Disconnecting the watch bracelet before hand helps too since you would want the rear back casing to be as close to the demagnetiser as possible.
Use the phone app and check if the watch is free from the nasty magnetism. If it is still there, rinse and repeat until it is gone.
And that is it. Your watch movement should be as accurate as a swiss watch. :sneaky:

You are welcome.

Video link:

Caril

Known Member
16/8/22
Portugal
Thanks for this!
I appreciate this is a free app, apparently made by an amateur (ie, no profit motive like adds or your data).
It was super easy to use and be shown that that my watch is magnetised..
Time to ask for a demagnetiser from the land of the Orient.

Reactions: TheSilentSinger

TheSilentSinger

I shall sing you the song of my people
Supporter
Certified
31/5/22
Maple leaves and beavers
Thanks for this!
I appreciate this is a free app, apparently made by an amateur (ie, no profit motive like adds or your data).
It was super easy to use and be shown that that my watch is magnetised..
Time to ask for a demagnetiser from the land of the Orient.

You're very welcome.
Apparently there is a more expensive German made demagnetiser - Elma Antimag which is around CAD$400 or 300 Euro.

But I reckon the one from Amazon works just as well.

Last edited:

bloodfeather

Looking Around
7/10/20
it actually works. my watch was running +5-6 minutes a day. tried the app, watch was really magnetised apparently.
bought a demagnetiser, now it's running perfect again.

Reactions: TheSilentSinger

Fleischwolf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/17
Bavaria
fun fact: instead of the app you can also use a compass, bc it also detects magnetic fields

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I've a watch that I really enjoy but it's gaining too much time and wondered about giving this a shot. Thanks a lot for the post