• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SOLID 18ct RG Bracelet for my Rolex Rainbow built by AMF

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
I bought a Rolex Rainbow from AMF about a year ago and, to me, it looks great but the one thing worrying me was the weight. I bit the bullet and bought a solid gold bracelet in RG for "around" $Australian 10,500. I say "around" because the price of gold moves constantly and so does the $US compared to $A! AMF said it would be about 8 weeks, but in reality, it was more like 12 weeks.

Now I don't have scales so I know you guys will be disappointed BUT it does weigh more AND it feels far more substantial (sorta like "better built") and solid. Could you tell the difference between the solid gold and the SS plated from looking at them on the wrist? No - BUT can you tell the difference when you hold them? Definitely YES. Is the upgrade worth $A10,500 - I don't know because it depends on what $A10,500 means to you. To me I'm glad I did it.

The BIG GIVEAWAY will now be: can you afford a watch worth about $A800k? Well my lifestyle could afford a watch at this price BUT I would never do it. I'm very happy with this one and have the difference invested.

Where this whole solid gold "trend" is going is that there are now Reps coming along that ARE solid gold and are WAY below Gen cost (but still "dear" - but they ARE solid gold!) Hopefully Tungsten plated will come along soon? But I couldn't wait!

I would DEARLY LOVE for someone to tell me where I could get lead put inside the case. I asked AMF and they wouldn't do it but maybe someone on the forum knows someone who would do it for me. PLEASE HELP!!

As for dealing with AMF - they are great - slow, but ALWAYS a great job - I had no hesitation "risking" my $10,500 with them. I've dealt with them 4 times I think, now and they NEVER let me down. I have no hesitation recommending them, their work is first class and, no, I don't get a discount from them!

Anyhow, below are a few photos of the finished watch (well so far, until someone can tell me where I can get lead added to it). ENJOY

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
Glad you’re happy with the watch mate, and it does look great! Considering buying a solid gold Daytona myself. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re asking for but from what I’ve understood there is no feasible way to add weight to a SS case.

Liquid Metal, tungsten in the case back and what not - none of that. I’ve asked both AMF and other watch modders here on the forum.

cartierjoe

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
24/7/22
AMF can do the watch head on solid 18k too.. you could go all out and have it done. The ratio between rep to gen makes the cost justifiable I believe.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
AMF can do the watch head on solid 18k too.. you could go all out and have it done. The ratio between rep to gen makes the cost justifiable I believe.
Hmm? THANKS! I wonder if I got AMF to make a case back in solid gold if that would make a lot of difference to the weight? That way there would be less cost (instead of remaking my watch and swapping all the diamonds and sapphires to the gold case , etc. I could just get a screw in back and replace it myself) - BUT I wonder if the increased weight would be worth it? Any ideas?

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
I honestly don’t think the case back alone would make any noticeable difference, it can’t be that much metal in it compared to the rest of the case.

Reactions: billyphlunts

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
I honestly don’t think the case back alone would make any noticeable difference, it can’t be that much metal in it compared to the rest of the case.
Hmm? Maybe you're right. Perhaps a RG plated Tungsten one would be cheaper and a close weight to solid gold? But once again, I have to find someone who can supply it for a RG Daytona?

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
BP made a tungsten DayDate, perhaps a Daytona is to follow…

il8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
Lovely work mate! So I’m trying to figure out the best way to make a franken daydate, I could get the whole thing made in 18k gold for $15k but I’m thinking of getting a tungsten one and just getting the presidential bracelet made in gold and have a tungsten case.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Lovely work mate! So I’m trying to figure out the best way to make a franken daydate, I could get the whole thing made in 18k gold for $15k but I’m thinking of getting a tungsten one and just getting the presidential bracelet made in gold and have a tungsten case.
I would think your idea is a good one. I would like to see a Tungsten bracelet as it will cost A LOT less but don't know where to get this? Getting a FULL gold bracelet should be easy from AMF but I have no idea where to get Tungsten? Do you?

il8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
I would think your idea is a good one. I would like to see a Tungsten bracelet as it will cost A LOT less but don't know where to get this? Getting a FULL gold bracelet should be easy from AMF but I have no idea where to get Tungsten? Do you?
I’ve been quoted like $9k but there may be a colour mismatch from the case to the bracelet even if you have it wrapped gold which is a worry.

In terms of tungsten, I don’t think anyone is making bracelets from tungsten in the market currently.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
I’ve been quoted like $9k but there may be a colour mismatch from the case to the bracelet even if you have it wrapped gold which is a worry.

In terms of tungsten, I don’t think anyone is making bracelets from tungsten in the market currently.
I gotta say my colour match (by AMF) is perfect (see photos above). Perhaps you could send them a link of your bracelet to match the colour?

cartierjoe

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
24/7/22
Its because of the 18k bracelet haha. However I wonder how off is the weight of yours compared to the gen.. as the gen has the 18k case as well.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Its because of the 18k bracelet haha. However I wonder how off is the weight of yours compared to the gen.. as the gen has the 18k case as well.
Yeah but who has EVER held a gen to know. Sure it would be lighter but no one could especially as I have a small wrist it would be even lighter with less links than "a normal guy".

cartierjoe

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
24/7/22
Yeah but who has EVER held a gen to know. Sure it would be lighter but no one could especially as I have a small wrist it would be even lighter with less links than "a normal guy".

I once held a gen 18k AP ROO and it was really heavy, so I know the feel you want to get with yours. Just keep it as it is its a beautiful watch, just a matter of time they will be making that model in Tungsten gold plated..