• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should Forum Charge Dealers to Sell?

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Other boards charge dealers to sell their goods.. why?
The Dark Side does not.. also, why?

Oneforum just took in Paul of Aspire as a dealer.. in spite of the fact that his reputation is not what one would like to see on any forum..

What do you think? Should cash money be charged so
dealers can sell here? Or is it better to allow only approved
and proven (or proven them ourselves) dealers?

There is a lot of money to be made in charging dealers.. and that can
maybe too much of a reason to accept someone of dubious
worth, IMO

Life is Good!
Klink

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Klink said:
Other boards charge dealers to sell their goods.. why?
The Dark Side does not.. also, why?

Oneforum just took in Paul of Aspire as a dealer.. in spite of the fact that his reputation is not what one would like to see on any forum..

What do you think? Should cash money be charged so
dealers can sell here? Or is it better to allow only approved
and proven (or proven them ourselves) dealers?

There is a lot of money to be made in charging dealers.. and that can
maybe too much of a reason to accept someone of dubious
worth, IMO

Life is Good!

Klink

You know something Klink, I just started as a dealer here. I'm VERY small time, and I'm not making a heck of a lot of money. Actually, I'm still in the red for the new stock I purchased. I used to sell on internet auctions, and I stopped a few years ago. Someone asked about sunglasses, and I offered some NOS I had for sale. Suddenly DRMMaster was there encouraging me to give it a go here. I'm glad that he did. I forgot how much fun this could be, even though it is a bit of work. I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes in the process of getting myself established, but that's all part of this. The real reward is the people on RWI. They are all fun people. But, if I did have to pay $25.00 here like on some other forums, I doubt that I would be doing this. Like I said, I'm VERY small time at the moment, and it would not be worth the added expense.

One more thing, I just got screwed with a pretty F***ked up alimony decree. All I really want out of this for myself is to make enough extra cash that I can afford to take my fiance out for a nice diner every once in a while again. Is that too much to hope for?

Your friendly neighborhood WackoBirdKeeper

BTW: Life is NOT good. Life is great!!!!

repliking

Renowned Member
2/4/06
I think charging dealers to sell is none of the members business. It should be dealt with privately between the admin,site owner and the dealers. I can see why they would charge. The dealers are selling tons of watches basically for free. No advertising costs and they are probably using a free image hosting site like Photobucket to display their watches. Some do have a web-site they operate,but most do not. I am not saying this is good or bad,it's not for me to decide :D

bignasty

16/3/06
I don't know that it is necessary for dealers to pay. Don't really know why they should have to, except for it generates income for the forum. But at the same time, if DrmMaster wants to continue with these Lotto's then I'm sure he's generating plenty of revenues there as well. Heck if he could get every dealer to participate in a Lotto he might have one heck of a racket going! :twisted:

But no seriously, as long as the dealers are maintaining a reputation, why charge them when revenues can be generated for the forum in different and, I might add, more popular ways?

Jon

EDIT: Forgot to add, I particularly like that I don't have to pay to sell or even post a reply in the "Members" trade area either. If I have proven my stripes and contributed to the knowledge base of the forum, shouldn't that give me the right to trade or notify others of my interest in another's sale? I mean at the TRC and RWG I can't even say "PM Sent" on a watch that another member might have up for sale.

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
It's the same as charging members for posting in FS.

well, the only thing I like about RWI is its non profit making purpose. It's a place to share and enjoy our lovely precious. RWG is making the place too commercial.

If my memory was right, I believe TRC and RWG are owned by the same guy. I guess it's quite profitable to own the site.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
The nail has been hit on the head by all of the posters above..

This is Drmmasters forum, and whatever he want to do is fine with me..

I just believe that when making profit goes so far that a forum would
take money from a cr*p dealer just because it is bucks.. well, IMO,
that sucks, because some noobs is going to get a real lesson in
getting screwed over, just so some forum can make a few bucks at the
expense of the noobs.. JMO

Plenty of ways to make a few bucks to keep a site going without selling
out to a cr*p dealer for a few measly dollars..

Life is Good!
Klink

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
Pride and Prejudice! Do we want biased or unbiased opinions? NO, NO, & NO.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
bignasty said:
But no seriously, as long as the dealers are maintaining a reputation, why charge them when revenues can be generated for the forum in different and, I might add, more popular ways?
RWI Sponsored Raffles! Every one, even if I don't want to win it, I enter. It's a great way of supporting the site, and I might win a Watch. I don't enter the RWI Raffles to win, unlike PT's Raffle, which is an addiction. :D

And yes, I like being able to reply in For Sale posts. I even love replying in dealers' forums, for those dealers that allow it.

kdo2milger

Respected Member
17/3/06
I do NOT think dealers should be charged to sell on forums period!

The only way dealers can account for this extra cost out of their pockets is to raise the prices on what we came here for in the first place?!?

reps... :roll:

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
Now, THAT is a Comment!

Ya gotta love it!

gotta go, I hear that Paul is having a Crazy Sale over at RWG!!
RWG gets the dealer fees, and if I am reeeeeely lucky, I get a watch
that works! Paul does not use "Zero Defects", he uses "Zero Customer Service!"

ROFLMAO
but, the important thing is that, no matter what, Thomas gets Paul's dealer fees!

:roll: :p :lol: :D

Life is Good!
Klink

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
One word........PAYOLA. For anybody not familiar with that term, it was a practice that was made illegal (SURE it was! :wink: ) years ago in the radio industry. Record companies would pay stations to play their artist's records, even if they stunk......it's all in the marketing.

If you charge a dealer to allow his/her participation, it makes it harder to remove them if/when they start screwing the members. I don't care what anybody says, if you have an income stream coming in, you're damn sure gonna think twice before cutting that stream off.

DrmMaster or this board ain't beholdin' to no one, members know it, and that's reflected in the growth of this board and the quality of the membership. There's NEVER been any begging by the Admin of this board, and I bet there never will.

I donate because I WANT to.

.........and that's my two......er, THREE cans on the matter!!!!!!!

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
In the interest of saving time,
Klink now visits only one rep forum.
Guess which one?

Life is Good!
Klink

higgy

Respected Member
Advisor
17/3/06
I've been here (RWI) from basically the beginning of this forum. Tim made it clear that he was willing to and expected to shell out his own money to keep the site going. That's because he cares about this site. I immediatley donated as I think many of the initial RWIers did also I also believe that that established the initial attitude and feel of this forum. If Tim needs help with money for the site, all he needs to do is hint about it and the generosity of RWIers will be seen. I rarely go to other sites nowadays. Should RWI charge like other sites. NO... not yet anyway. I really like the RWI model as it is!!!!!!!!

THANKS TIM !!!!!!!!

Just my $.02

Higgy 8)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Klink said:
In the interest of saving time,
Klink now visits only one rep forum.
Guess which one?

Life is Good!
Klink
let me guess, is it very dark? hmmm.....