• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer 5500 Build Questions

SomalianPirate

Horology Curious
14/1/13
Toying with the idea of building a ref 5500 Explorer using a gen case and aftermarket parts. I figured that even most of the "genuine" 5500 Explorers out there are dubious to say the least. I don't think I've ever seen one come up for sale in long time that is unquestionably kosher (i.e. 100% factory original), which makes building one up as an elaborate "homage" easy to justify ;) . Plus, I've got a genuine 2824-2 lying around that needs a home.

I suppose these are my main questions:

1. Are 1500 series cases the same as 5500s bar the numbers?

2. Does the 2824 have to be modified to fit this build? (I don't like the idea of a date complication that isn't being used sitting beneath the dial, so I'd probably remove it anyway...)

1500 cases seem cheaper and easier to obtain than their 5500 counterparts. Having said that, I would consider buying a 5500 case for the sake of accuracy....

Cheers,

SP

PS - I also have a gen 2836-2 module at home, but I'm led to believe that it's the wrong one for this build?