• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SEIKO MACV-SOG 7005-8030 ... 1970 military issue

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
First one point of history ...
MACV-SOG (Military Assistance Command Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group) was a highly secretive, multi-service, Special Forces (SF) unit which conducted covert and asymmetric military operations between 1964-1972.
The area of operations for this unit span across Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
Their mission statement was "to execute an intensified program of harassment, diversion, political pressure, capture of prisoners, physical destruction, acquisition of intelligence, generation of propaganda, and diversion of resources, against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.’’

Along this 7 years period the guys were equiped with2/3 models of Seiko watches.
The accepted three SOG seiko models are as follows:
- 6619-8060 circa 1967 ... that was probably never issued through the military supply chain to any member of the US military in Vietnam.
- 6119-8100 circa 1968
- 7005-8030 circa 1970 … which is the main subjet of that thread

That final iteration of the SOG Seiko watches was of steel case construction, in an almost tonneau shape, with luminous hands and markers on a black dial.
Internally, the movement was a 7005A, 17 jewel movement.
The watch had an overall 50m water resistance.
Amongst collectors, the 7005-8030 is widely regarded as the rarest model.
This could be down to the period of issue being from 1970 until the disbandment of MACV-SOG in 1972.
One could speculate further, factoring in how military operations may have been drawing down, so the supply of kit and equipment may also have been reduced.
Side note, there is also speculation among some within the collecting community that this model was at least initially manufactured by Seiko directly to the US Forces as other 7005-8030 references have been found which do not share the same dial configuration.

For me it is just a really nice watch.
The first time I heard about it was some years ago, when an Australian asked me if Icould print a dial for one of his customers who’s 7005-8030 dial was too much damaged to be refurbished.
I did the job and, honestly, didn’t thought about that watch again until last year.
I was searching for a tonneau case on eBay and I stumble on one of those Seikos, in a quite bad condition but offered at an incredibly low price.
I quickly asked the seller for a close pic of the caseback, to check the serial number, and ...
BINGO !!! the serial number, 0D7255, proved the watch was issued in December 1970 … exactly period correct.
I quickly ordered the watch and started waiting.

When it came to me I knew I had been quite lucky :
- the 7005-A movement was damaged … automatic winding destroyed probably ny a « supposed skilled watchmaker » … but I knew where to get parts and how to repair it
- the case was in a good overall condition … just needing some polish and care … plexi was cracked but that was not an issue
- the dial was far from good … a real pitty in fact … but I already knew who to ask (my own self) to reprint a new dial on the base plate

So I started to work on it :
- gather the parts broken and to much damaged to be repaired
- work on the movement until I got it working and keeping good time
- reprint the dial

So apart from the dial that I had to reprint, evryting is orginial on that watch.
It took me some months but today I’m happy … it’s on my wrist and keeps good time.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
A fascinating subject, fantastic project, and a superb result. Bravo sir!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks buddy ... I really love that tiny watch :cool:

Now the next challenge is to source a 6118-8100 at adecent price, no matter the condition, to go to the same process and complete te collection ...

I will also check on eBay if I can source some "7005-8030 like" Seikos with "tonneau cases" ... I could sterilise the casebacks, reengrave them "period and model correct", print dials ... I think some members would love to own such a rarity ...

Reactions: p0pperini

freebalkany

24/8/21
Nice,
awesome job on the dial as usual.
I think the 7000 series are excellent movement. They're not flashy but they do the job

I just finished fixing an old 7005 too.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nice,
awesome job on the dial as usual.
I think the 7000 series are excellent movement. They're not flashy but they do the job

I just finished fixing an old 7005 too.

nice watch buddy :D

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
For those who could be interested in building a MACV-SOG 7005-8030 ... there's a base watch available on eBay those days for a fair price (129€ shipped).
The watch looks good and seller says it's been serviced recently ...
Icing on the cake : the serial number says February 69 :cool: or February 79 butwho would know ?
Add a MACV-SOG dial inside it would be a really nice build

3ZIwfL.jpg

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Got damn. Awesome watch and history.

I think I have read every SOG book there is but for anyone who wants to read something comprehensive, that will repeatedly put your jaw on the floor, check out John Plasters book, SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam. The audio book is well done too.

For a quick fix this article, can introduce you to just one story of this organization's wild history, where 9 SOG men supported by aircraft find themselves facing roughly 10,000 NVA in a brutal battle in the middle of the Laos.

Reactions: Suprasonic

chanrobi

Horology Curious
18/2/23
latvia
Got damn. Awesome watch and history.

I think I have read every SOG book there is but for anyone who wants to read something comprehensive, that will repeatedly put your jaw on the floor, check out John Plasters book, SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam. The audio book is well done too.

For a quick fix this article, can introduce you to just one story of this organization's wild history, where 9 SOG men supported by aircraft find themselves facing roughly 10,000 NVA in a brutal battle in the middle of the Laos.
Or any of John Stryker Meyers books as well. He's done very recent podcasts and youtube videos, and also has his own podcast as well ...

Plaster is not so active in the social media realm

Reactions: ward1991

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Or any of John Stryker Meyers books as well. He's done very recent podcasts and youtube videos, and also has his own podcast as well ...

Plaster is not so active in the social media realm
+1 SOGCAST is wonderful. Get to hear from the legends themselves.

RW5513

Known Member
Patron
25/8/15
Very ... VERY nice work ! Wow !! 🔥🔥🔥

I gave up thinking to pay the todays prices and made my own:. All are Seiko parts.

Cheers.

Reactions: 369mafia

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Very ... VERY nice work ! Wow !! 🔥🔥🔥

I gave up thinking to pay the todays prices and made my own:. All are Seiko parts.

Cheers.

Really nice build (y)

I've recently bought a nice 6119-8100 from 1969 for more or less $90 ... for that price it's not a MACV-SOG one of course :ROFLMAO:
But the case and caseback will do the job and the 6119 movement keeps good time after I serviced it.
I really like it so I will wear as it is for some time but somewhen within the next months I'll print a MACV-SOG dial to complete my collection.
The goal will be to print in silver on a graphite sunburst base ... I don't even know how I'll do it but I'll find a way :p

Reactions: RW5513

RW5513

Known Member
Patron
25/8/15
Really nice build (y)

I've recently bought a nice 6119-8100 from 1969 for more or less $90 ... for that price it's not a MACV-SOG one of course :ROFLMAO:
But the case and caseback will do the job and the 6119 movement keeps good time after I serviced it.
I really like it so I will wear as it is for some time but somewhen within the next months I'll print a MACV-SOG dial to complete my collection.
The goal will be to print in silver on a graphite sunburst base ... I don't even know how I'll do it but I'll find a way :p

Thank you VERY MUCH. 🙏.

Do you print the dial and Lume it as in... Decals ? I have done quite a few dials myself.... Not "Seiko" , but this. I did this for a very close friend who wanted a Commando:

But I never lume it. That's why I ask if you did decals or are you doing actual plate pad printing.

I might do my own "Seiko" MacV. .🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: freebalkany

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I've found a civilian 7005-8030 from April 1970 and built another MACV-SOG ...
That one is better as printings are not white but silver on this one, just like a gen :cool:

HuKxnQ.jpeg

HuKcZR.jpeg

HuKJuL.jpeg

HuhDdK.jpeg

HuhZxv.jpeg

HuhzW1.jpeg

Huh3lj.jpeg

HuhHf4.jpeg

Huhh2I.jpeg

Huh2nc.jpeg

HuhAuX.jpeg

Huheji.jpeg