• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seagull ST255 questions

Maraach

24/8/15
Hey guys,

Never had a seagull movement watch before but after issues with my A7750, and a very attractive price point im seriously considering one for my next purchase.

Just a quick question, are there any "rules" one needs to know about the seagull movements? For example with the A7750 you *never* hand wind it, and you never change the date between 10pm - 2am or you will likely break something / run into problems.

Is there a guide with similar details of what to / what not to do with the seagull movement?

UltrasonicBokeh

Horology Curious
11/7/15
Hi there,

I've an Omega Speedy Pro rep powered by the Sea-Gull ST-19 (1902) movement, which is manually-wound and doesn't have the oscillating pendulum of an automatic. I've wound the watch once a day for over a month now without any issues and have been more than pleased with how well it keeps time and performs. Not only is the movement a reliable performer, it's also quite a looker as well! The only issue I've heard of anyone having is with the spring that enables the crown to ratchet when winding (fortunately it's a cheap, easy repair) - you don't need to worry about stripping the gears like you would with the Asian 7750.

Don't hesitate to buy any watch with a Sea-Gull movement! In fact, I like the ST19 in my rep so much I'm looking to buy a gen Techne SparrowHawk (original) with the 1901 movement variant.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The ST2555 is an automatic movement, so I would not compare it to the ST19.

It proved to be fairly reliable, but a few issues have been reported lately. It's more difficult and expensive to fix a ST2555 than an a7750, take this into consideration as well.

If you go for it you can follow the same rules of the 7750, it won't hurt. :)

trb1971

3/6/15
I hope nobody minds me butting in and asking but is the ST2555 a clone of another movement ?