• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI EXCLUSIVE - A quick lesson on replica Cohibas

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Once again a good friend of mine got some cigars for me while in Mexico. He got a "great deal" on some Cohibas "on the beach".

Rule #1 - There are NO deals on Cohibas or any high end Cuban brand. They do not exist. Cigars after aging in the factory are transported to government stores on the island or to the airport for transport to another countries import office as they are tobacco. The very best price you will ever pay for these as a consumer is in the smaller factory stores. They are still far more than you'd think.

Here is a shot of the box I got.

DSC_0241_zps5b881e67.jpg

Rule #2 - There are NO boxes of Cohibas with glass tops. Boxes of 25 come in a plain cedar box as pictured below. Boxes of 5 cigars come in a paper sleeve box as pictured below.

DSC_0249_zpsb418911b.jpg

DSC_0244_zps3281e757.jpg

The raised and non raised printing of the logo must be perfection. If it's off even a little the cigars inside just won't be real. Just look at the non centered head.

DSC_0250_zps1b7bc27e.jpg

Here is a Gen box closeup and you can see every aspect looks perfect.

DSC_0251_zpse1452299.jpg

I have no idea what this hologram is. The gen is just a small square on that looks the part.

DSC_0245_zpsb302924f.jpg

DSC_0246_zps9ffb616a.jpg

The Habanos flag. Once again the embossing must line up perfectly. It also doubles as a tamper proof sticker so it must be diagnal across two openings unlike the obvious fake here.

DSC_0242_zpsd4b486aa.jpg

DSC_0243_zps8bd78c06.jpg

Seal. This must look like money and have the same feel as money. The red ink is stamped and not part of the printing process so it should look slightly different. If you carry a blacklight with you, I do in Cuba on a keychain, the seal will have a head in the center similer to US money that will only appear under blacklight. The red code will also change color under blacklight.

DSC_0252_zpsb080083a.jpg

DSC_0247_zps186ebbe1.jpg

Box stamp under the box must be perfectly centered and straight. Cuba has changed the stamp in recent years to more of a printed style stamp unlike the "stamped" stamp of old. ALL boxes will also have a date and factory code hand stamped to them aswell.

Crooked Rep

DSC_0253_zps16fd5575.jpg

Old style stamp. Ahh....remember when Cohiba Robustos cost $10!

DSC_0255_zps0dde25f1.jpg

New style stamp

DSC_0254_zpsd5867f7a.jpg

Inside the box, you will find a piece of semi transparent paper. These are replicated very good and the tell of this one really is the print quality. The gen is perfect, and the rep is done on a home color printer. ;)

Rep

DSC_0259_zpsed6f22d7.jpg

Gen

DSC_0260_zpsd871b843.jpg

If the makers of these put as much effort into the band as the box and just sold them as singles they'd all be rich.

The bands on Gen Cohibas have changed aswell over the years but as a golden rule, these must be perfection aswell. Everything must be perfectly in line. I find the checker pattern is always a huge tell on fakes. Also a box is color graded. All the cigars in a box must be exactly the same color. Any variations will be from left to right but unless you are a cigar color grader don't look for this, just know they must be the same.

The reason Cohibas are the most expensive cigar brand in Cuba is that the wrappers are the first chosen from the bundles in the wrapper room. The vast majority of the flavor and cost of a cigar is the wrapper so if they dont look perfect or are bumpy and veiny they are not real.

Old style band. Yes it's framed, that was a very special cigar. ;)

CSC_0258_zps6e942daa.jpg

New style band with raised and embossed lettering

DSC_0256_zps6c1d4bf6.jpg

Rep. Just look at the 3 lines of checkering and how uneven and different they are from the others in the box.

DSC_0261_zps45a25fb6.jpg

It's actuly incredibly simple to never buy a fake Cohiba

Rule #3 - Only buy them from a dealer.

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
Wow, great write up frig!!!

Thank you for taking the time, when I am in Mexico in 2 months I will have to see if I spot some fakes :D

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Devil is in the details and now we know. Nice write up mate.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Wow, great write up frig!!!

Thank you for taking the time, when I am in Mexico in 2 months I will have to see if I spot some fakes :D

Every one you see will be fake!

The best place to buy cigars in the whole country......that's safe.......is the duty free in Cancun. They have some killer deals on Vegafina cigars. Great value and killer cigars. ;)

They have a good selection of Cubans too.

applesandoranges

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/12
Cohibas can be sourced online for relatively cheap. Cheaper than sold in certain countries.

I buy cubans online from time to time and they have always been authentic.
Just have to buy from the "trusted dealers"

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Frig, on my last trip to Baja, 99% of the cigars I was offered were fake. So many people get hosed down there.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Really good info. I can't really see such a difference in the band that I would be able to tell for single cigars.

Where is a reputable place to buy online if you are CONUS?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Cohibas can be sourced online for relatively cheap. Cheaper than sold in certain countries.

Yes, of course. It has to do with each countries tax system.

You won't buy them for less than I can get them at the factory. ;)

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Ah..the fabled "glass top box." I remember those.
One of the most horrible cigars I'd ever had was a fake from Anguilla. Purchased with the best intentions by friends. It was like it had plastic shavings in it. Ever inhaled burning plastic?
No? Oh. Don't.
Cheers...

TheBattler

26/7/10
Yes, of course. It has to do with each countries tax system.

You won't buy them for less than I can get them at the factory. ;)

Definitely can when you factor in the trip to Cuba.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I would like to have some good smokes. That way I could smoke out BMW.

joesetx

Known Member
19/4/14
La Casa del Habanos

If you are in Mexico, say Cancun, there is only ONE place to get the real thing.

the Cuban government sells there cigars through stores called La Casa del Habanos.

all others are fake.

simple enough?

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
price for them in florence is now at 25 eu for cig ! wondering now if they were the real deal :D