• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Rep Purchase

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
Hi All.
First I want to thank you all for the invaluable info in helping me make my first rep purchase. I bought a Pam 196 from RM. Lay posted the pics and videos this morning. I was wondering if I would be out of line posting the links so I could get some feedback from folks who know a lot more about this than me. If this is in bad taste please let me know.
Thanks for any input.

Zaxdad

Nash

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/10
Ive got one I like the polished SS of the 196 over the 250, having said that Id like a 250 and a 251 anyway, looks exactly like mine, biggest problem Ive had with mine is constantly polishing the bloody thing.

First thing Id do and did, (although I didn't get the SS bracelet) is lose the rep strap and get something different, get ready to be obsessed alot of different looks from Pams in general much less the 196, it isn't out of place casual or formal.

It looks great on light brown, dark brown and black leather, especially a 5mm thick strap suits it well. Right now Ive got mine on a 5mm thick black leather w/ white stitches, before a 5mm thick light brown and beige stitches.

That is a great first Pam rep much less first ever rep, the heap of shit I bought as a first rep vs that 196 is huge, soon you'll know all the numbers, be buying straps every week, and looking at 2nd hand gens.

Also lay is great if you are happy w/ this 196 take a look at the 177, 288, 253 and 212 he has atm.

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Welcome! Beautiful watch mate - nice choice!!!

Anyone else think the numbers on the vibrograph could be better? Nothing to be overly concerned about, I suppose...

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
Thanks for your replies. I don't know what I'm looking at on the graphs. I looked at a number of lays youtube videos and found mine to be much worse than anything there. (as long ad ms error is important). Also the minute hand on the chrono clicks over while the sweep hand is at the57 second. I asked Lay last night if he could find me a different sample. I hope I'm not out of line but I figure that is what QC pics are for. Also already ordered a new leather band.
Thanks for putting up with noob questions.

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
Well, I sure must have made a mistake. I asked Lay if there was a chance I could get another sample and he canceled my order. Can anyone recommend another dealer that would have a similar watch at a similar price? I really didn't think I was out of line and I apologized to Lay if I was. Boy, I'm off to a shaky start in a new hobby.

Thanks for any input.

zaxdad

Nash

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/10
Did you write alot of text? when emailing the dealers I keep it very short and straight to the point, he might have mis-understood what you were trying to explain?

A mod might sort this out?

Because Lay is great to deal w/ and Id be willing to bet the farm he was just confused as to what you were requesting.

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
I thought I was short and to the point. All I asked was if he was able to get a different watch. I don't know what I'm looking at in the video but the numbers were so far off from the other videos on his site. Also there was no communication. Just an e-mail from paypal saying my payment was refunded. I'd like to buy from him as he seems to have a great rep.
Thanks,
Zaxdad

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
Someone else called it a vibrograph. The numbers on the youtube video .

Zaxdad

Horology Curious
29/12/10
So if ti says .4ms that is .4 ms per day? What do the other numbers mean? Lift angle and amplitude?

__iceman__

Known Member
13/12/10
Maybe Lay misunderstood that you wanted another watch, not this one. Means... he should cancel this order and you then load a new order for a PAM 177 or AP ROO etc.

I did ask him questions on my reading and his replies were short, but good.

For emails that have more than 1 question, I usually number them clearly so he can tackle one by one.