• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5513 matte dial Submariner - UPDATED.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Here's a very nice 5513 with an interesting history behind it - as interesting as any genuine Rolex 5513 story, so you could say it's a gen' spec' story.

VbXDyp.jpg
IMG-1993.jpg

The watch was bought in the summer of 2017 - a genuine Rolex matte 5512 dial in a Cartel case. When he received it the owner discovered it had lots of problems, the case had been reshaped but looked terrible, the movement was floating around inside the case, lume on the hands didn't match the dial, bezel assembly was glued down etc.

IMG-1994.jpg

VbO58X.jpg

The buyer sent it to me, I sorted out the case, put in a low beat Swiss ETA, changed the hands, aged an insert, put in a new crystal etc etc.

IMG-1996.jpg

VbXZHs.jpg

I shipped it out to the owner, it arrived in his country, left Customs and then disappeared. The tracking number stopped working. Investigations were launched in both countries, multiple emails sent, endless visits to Post Offices were made. Nobody was able to say what had happened to the parcel - quite fucking remarkable really.

IMG-1998.jpg

VbXEeh.jpg

Then 12 months later, like in a Ridley Scott script, the tracking number woke up, and the parcel started moving again.

IMG-1999.jpg

The parcel was safely delivered to an address I moved out of 10 months previously - and 900 km from where I was now living.

IMG-2000.jpg

I managed to contact the people living at the address, and yes indeed they had received a parcel. Not trusting anybody to ship it, I went to collect it myself.

IMG-2002.jpg

The box was pretty beaten up, it was also covered in labels - no doubt labels that had been stuck on it as it made it's way through different departments, offices, services etc. It looked like Paddington Bears suitcase.
The watch was inside, ticking away, no damage done.

It's just come back in for a little treatment - redo the chamfers, polish the case, crystal and bracelet.
It wouldn't really be feasible to do a build like this now. s recently as 3 or 4 years ago Rolex matte 5513 dials in good condition could be had for $600 - $800. They are now around $2000, if you can find one.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Horror story but beautiful watch :)

Reactions: tripdog

Danii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/15
It's been an honour to have you work on this watch Trip, and quite the journey indeed. Can't wait to have it back on the wrist!

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Very nice as usual. It's unfortunate that the price of everything vintage Rolex has skyrocketed so much in the last decade or so. Well, I guess fortunate for anyone who got in the game early, but it sucks we will not see many builds like this going forward.

Reactions: stufuse and tripdog

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
The 12 month round trip is almost as amazing as the price increase of that dial lol Nice work man

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Wow!!! That is like "The Incredible Journey" for a watch. Must've fallen behind some bin or shelf until discovery months later...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This 5513 has travelled a fair bit since I first built it several years ago - back when you could get a gen' matte 5513 dial for a few hundred dollars. . .
Since then it's been subjected to numerous 'mods', some of which can not really be considered to be improvements. It finally made it's way back to me a few weeks ago, as the new owner wanted the one upgrade that nobody alse thought of - a gen' spec' case to replace the old Cartel case.

The dial has been relumed (old lume had been washed off many years ago, only the white paint of the indices was left on the dial). The lettering on the E & R of oyster had flaked off, that's been repaired. A lumed pearl was fitted to the CAC insert, a NOS service Swiss 2842 to fit the new gen' spec' case, a gen' second hand and a Truedome crystal complete the build.

IMG-8345.jpg

IMG-8347.jpg

IMG-8351.jpg

IMG-8352.jpg

IMG-8353.jpg

IMG-8357.jpg

freebalkany

24/8/21
Very nice build indeed with a great story.
I’d be interested to know you manage to fit a swatch movement in there given that it has no dial feet holes and no movement screw holes either.
Cheers

Reactions: matzemedia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Wow quite the adventure!! nicely done and safe travels back !