• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex’s silent updates: the springed chronograph seconds wheel

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
f2ff53d4d8593db2ac1556756700c3bf.jpg

Rolex is well know for the extreme longevity of his movements. In fact, the well known and regarded 4130 has been released over 20 years ago (and I can’t see them retiring it anytime soon) yet they kept silently improving it over time. This is in my opinion their major breakthrough: the springed chronograph seconds wheel, part no. 4130-820. Crafted thanks to the MEMS (micro-electro-mechanics-system) technology, LIGA (litographie-galvanoformung-abformung) grows metallic parts galvanically on a disc within tiny resin moulds. Starting with a precise mould, equally precise metallic parts with complex planar geometries can be formed, several dozen at a time, thus making the process perfect for manufacturing gears: flat, planar, and required in sizeable numbers. The loaded springs allow for the vertical clutch to couple perfectly, without leaving the slightest tolerance hence correcting the stutter of the chronograph’s seconds wheel (for those who wonders yeah, it also happens on gen Daytonas, and the reason why Rolex developed this upgrade).
This is a great (and not overly expensive) update for your A4130, and helps those who want to have a reliable chronograph. Start will be smooth, and so will be the functioning.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
That's excellent information Nik, thanks for posting. What a marvel of technical precision (you are). :)

In fact, the infamous 4130 has been released over 20 years ago

Just one small point... "infamous" means "to be well known for some bad quality or deed", which is possibly quite the opposite of what you meant.

Last edited:

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
That's excellent information Nik, thanks for posting. What a marvel of technical precision (you are). :)

Just one small point... "infamous" means "to be well known for some bad quality or deed", which is probably quite the opposite of what you meant.

Edited. You’re right, I used the wrong term, I meant it was well known but not in a bad manner by any means :)
Thanks for the correction!

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy