• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RM11 Quartz Project

hong999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/19
From the tech drawings I can source that movement is 2mm too thick, and even removing the bridges and mainplate won't buy you the necessary clearance for gen spec unfortunately. Doubtful that any off the shelf auto can be modded into this, and they'd probably have to do a full clone which requires some pretty trick and precise machining. I'd love to see it done but it's gonna take some serious work imho
If you have reliable source, probably it's true because the movement data is not fully stated in RM website (richardmille.com/collections/rm-67-02-automatic-extra-flat). Either RM67-01 or RM67-02, it sounds cool to have an ultra-thin RM sport watch as compared to Piaget Altiplano and Bulgari Octo.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
It's been a long time since I've updated this thread, and I have a few things to report. Mainly, as I've been waiting for some extremely fiddly parts to be made, I've been focusing on making a new watch (this time the new RM07-04 for my wife) but that required fixing a big issue: finding or sourcing crystals to fit. Being limited by the crystals I can source was reducing the number of watches I could make and proving a bottleneck for production. I've been experimenting with 3d printed crystals and I've found a source that can print me crystals that actually work for watches! In the link below are the bezel prototypes for the RM07 with the printed crystal, and I think it's about the best we're going to get until we can carve sapphire or mineral glass at home.

Also included are the dial shots of the three other (!!!) RM67s I've made. They're not assembled besides the Italia I showed upthread because I'm trying to make them perfect and that requires tooling and jigs and ingenuity, but all parts are there and will work once I stop obsessing over perfect rehaut placement and updated deco plates and just make them. There's a shot of the custom straps I've been making too, since custom watches need custom straps and I don't know how to stop project creep.

The RM50 needed a specific VK variant with longer pinions, so I had to rip one out of an old Fossil but making the pusher stems is holding up the entire project. Everything else works but making the custom pushers is much more difficult than you'd think. I'm pretty annoyed that such a small groove is so hard to machine but so it goes.

I've had significantly less time to devote to the project because of real-job things, but it's still happening!

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/9XksrXH

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Short update, hopefully with photos tomorrow.

I had to redo the 67 because of several tolerance issues that were just unacceptable to me. I could make a running watch but it just didn't fit elegantly and a few issues built up to the point that I redid about 70% of the printed designs (nip and tuck 0.1mm here and there, mostly) and the entire dial stack. The good news is that the redone configuration is much easier to assemble, work on, and live with as a daily watch. Movement is switched to a different variant with a higher cannon pinion so I can get more detail layers into the dial but otherwise is the same.

I'm actually building one on commission right now. I don't want to say that they'll be widely available once finished but I should be able to acquire enough parts to sell a limited run and help defray the cost of etching and my time. Price will most likely be in the microbrand ballpark given that it's quartz, and I still need to figure out a source for some better hands, but for those interested there should be a small run available sometime in 2024, with the exact amount dependent on the parts I can get.

Also continued work on the RM07 - that one fits together great but nailing the exact tolerances for the movement retaining tabs is taking some work. Looks like printable crystals are usable but I still like sapphire better.

I've also finished a design for a conversion kit from the dizzy hands rep into an RM33-02, and a version that can hold a skeletonized NH35. Once I test fit that I'll get the midcase printed in titanium. Big hurdle for that is the custom strap required and the custom strap insert I need to engineer.

Pics soon! I'll be taking some photos of the commissioned piece as soon as I can.