• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

21j Chronomat Evolution

TheFrug

9/2/09
A couple of newbie questions. I apologise if these could be answered with a search but i've spent the last 2 days plowing through these forums and am now more unsure than when I started.

on the Asia 21j movements does the chronograph function work?

If not does anyone know if any of the dealers sells a quartz version of the BCE comparable in face, bracelet and bezel to the Ultimate v3 BCE Graphite? I've already deduced that the glass will be mineral with no AR on a quartz (or am I wrong about this) but I just want a pretty nice looking watch that will work fairly well. I've been reading about loads of probs with the Asia 7750 with chrono's and I don't want to spend over 200 quid on a watch that will look awesome but not work properly if I can spend less on one that will look very good and run reliably.

Cheers

TheFrug

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
TheFrug said:
A couple of newbie questions. I apologise if these could be answered with a search but i've spent the last 2 days plowing through these forums and am now more unsure than when I started.

on the Asia 21j movements does the chronograph function work?

If not does anyone know if any of the dealers sells a quartz version of the BCE comparable in face, bracelet and bezel to the Ultimate v3 BCE Graphite? I've already deduced that the glass will be mineral with no AR on a quartz (or am I wrong about this) but I just want a pretty nice looking watch that will work fairly well. I've been reading about loads of probs with the Asia 7750 with chrono's and I don't want to spend over 200 quid on a watch that will look awesome but not work properly if I can spend less on one that will look very good and run reliably.

Cheers

TheFrug

On the 21J version the chronos do not work. Here's the thing, the 7750 is not as problematic as you'd like to think, I have 3 chronos with the Asian 7750 and all are in excellent working condition, no problems, the only one presenting problems is the one in the Rolex Daytona with seconds at 6 [seconds at 6 o'clock position] because it uses a transfer plate to 'move' the seconds from the normal 9 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position creating a huge amount of friction causing the movement to eventually stop, funny thing is that if you remove the transfer gears the movement will spring back to life. In other words the A7750 on all reps except the ones with seconds at 6 are all fine and will work reliably. My recommendation is to get the BCE with the A7750.

My other recommendation would be to get a rep without chronos, like a Superocean Steelfish:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=43854

TheFrug

9/2/09
Ok I decided to dip my toe in the rep waters by getting this quartz as my first (but not last) rep

2007102506513723006.JPG

If I'm happy with this when it arrives then there are a couple of quartz and 21j watches I like and will pick up (am a single parent of 3 kids so budget is limited). For my main rep though I'll either go for the V3 BCE or the SA with 7750. I really like the SA but as far as I can tell it is huge and as I'm only 5'7" with skinny wrists it may just be too much watch for me. Can't wait for my first Breitling to arrive, but thanks to CNY it looks like I'm going to have to be patient.

Also I'd like to say what a great forum this is, whilst it has made my choice much harder it has also made it far more informed.

TheFrug

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
You know it kills me. They make a quartz BCE which never came in quartz which I don't mind. But they make the rep colt in auto when the gen comes in quartz.

TheFrug

9/2/09
It arrived today, but I'm not happy with it, I'm f*cking ecstatic!!! It is far better than I expected for less than $100 including delivery. Sure anyone that knows Breitlings will spot it as a rep pretty quickly due to the seconds at 6 (which seemsto be standard on the quartz reps) but on someones wrist I'd never know it was a rep. I wanted a pretty nice looking watch and I got an awesome looking watch!! Mark at Timeshop was a pleasure to deal with and I will be ordering a couple more today.

Pics to follow :)

TheFrug

TheFrug

9/2/09
[edit - don't worry, I figured it out] I'll edit this post and put some photo's in later.