• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

rep Pelagos (sharing and question)

thormak

Looking Around
30/12/22
Kuala Lumpur
Hello RWIs! I am new here and been reading in the forum for a while, lots of good feedback on the Pelagos so I decided to get one.

It's not really a review, just want to share a bit of what I did when I got the watch.
A bit of introduction, I bought the rep Pelagos actually to try it out, for I am planning to get a Pelagos 39. I am also a beginner in watchmaking, so I kind of thought a rep would be good to practice as well.

This is a not a review, but I do want to share a few things I noticed when I receive the watch.
1. The first thing I did was to check the crown, it was very tight and crunchy at times.
2. I open up the caseback and it crunch like hell, and the o ring is not greased.

So i decided to do a cleaning inside out, and also to check the HEV whether it is working.

Remove the outer and inner o-ring from inside and outside of crown tube (the inner were greased from factory actually but not the outer ones)

Removed the o-ring from crown (also lubed)

A shot from the movement, I got this from a local seller saying it's XF, but I can't tell actually, maybe someone can shed some light.

Some dirt when I use a piece of pegwood running around the crown and tube's thread, and the caseback.

So I just ultrasonic them for 30mins and put them back together.
The crown is wonderful, they are not crunching anymore and buttery smooth.
The caseback did improved, especially when you start hitting the o-ring, maybe the resistance help to improve the screw down, but not as good as the crown overall.

Can't really show the dirt, burs and maybe machining oils from the threads, just using my phone to capture these photos.
Hope that helps!

Ohhh one question, does anyone know how do I separate the movement from the casing around the movement? I cant seem to even drop the dial. Thanks in advance!

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
Hi there, nice piece and write up.
In answer to your question:
Step 1: (Yellow) use a small (1mm?) flat screw driver to press this button and release the stem. Don’t press too deep or your upset the keyless works.
Step 2: (Green) take these 2 screws out and set aside with the tabs. The movement and retainer ring will be separated from the case here. Leave them sitting in place.
Step 3: (Blue) take these 2 screws out. That separates the retainer ring from the movement. Lift out the retainer ring, and it also might be easier to remove the rotor and rotor screw here too.
Step 4: (Red) you should be able to see the dial feet levers here. They pivot out to release the dial. Here’s where you take the movement out, flip it over and remove the hands, then the dial.
Hope that helps.

thormak

Looking Around
30/12/22
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there, nice piece and write up.
In answer to your question:
Step 1: (Yellow) use a small (1mm?) flat screw driver to press this button and release the stem. Don’t press too deep or your upset the keyless works.
Step 2: (Green) take these 2 screws out and set aside with the tabs. The movement and retainer ring will be separated from the case here. Leave them sitting in place.
Step 3: (Blue) take these 2 screws out. That separates the retainer ring from the movement. Lift out the retainer ring, and it also might be easier to remove the rotor and rotor screw here too.
Step 4: (Red) you should be able to see the dial feet levers here. They pivot out to release the dial. Here’s where you take the movement out, flip it over and remove the hands, then the dial.
Hope that helps.
Thank you @dangerdan3 , I did try to remove all of them but it wouldn't fell off from the retainer ring.
So I try to pry open from the side, with some advice from fellow members in the forum, seems like the retainer+dial+minute marker are all taped together.

I now know what to do if I have to replace the movement next time, cheers!

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
@thormak I really like my Pelagos. It’s fairly unique in its makeup and style. I’m stating the obvious but be careful. They tend to dent and scratch easily and look like hell if they get abused.