• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing bezel and inner rehaut ring off an explorer ii

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Hey guys, I just picked up an explorer ii which has a few things that are bothering me.

- bezel is slightly off center
- rehaut is slightly off center (Rolex engraving not lining up straight)
- cyclops is crooked
- crystal is a bit off center (LEC is not straight on at 6)
- DW is a bit off center

The DW will just need to be upgraded to a better one.

I figure the cyclops and crystal are easy enough to fix. Seen a few vids on removing cyclops with heat and then reattaching with UV glue. Also can pop out the crystal to realign.

For the rehaut and bezel though, I'm trying to figure out how to remove. I can't seem to find anything on removing a non-rotating bezel, and I tried the standard pry tool already with no luck. Anyone have any tips on that?

Same with the inner ring. Haven't really done an in depth search for this yet but maybe someone can chime in if they've already done it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Some pics of what I mean.

432c3e92735c95d96c98328cb48512ca.jpg
b3275758925909f02e3d2cd95685de71.jpg

btwn68n70

21/2/14
Change your TD. I assume the only way this passed QC check is due to TD angle of photos that masked the issues.

ooarr

I'm Pretty Popular
23/12/14
Rehaut is part of the case itself, you will need to move the dial to line up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
Change your TD. I assume the only way this passed QC check is due to TD angle of photos that masked the issues.
^^^^^^ +1. ^^^^^^
I'd be furious if my TD tricked me like that.

Sent from a remote corner of the world using a series of clicks, grunts and generous amounts of profanity

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Thanks guys but this was an m2m. Had the intention of making it my project watch. Sucks about the rehaut. Looks like I just have to save up for another case since the dial currently lines up fine with the crown.

Any ideas on the bezel though?

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Actually upon closer inspection. I think the dial might be a bit misaligned. Lol maybe it's an easier fix than I thought.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Hey guys, I just picked up an explorer ii which has a few things that are bothering me.

- bezel is slightly off center
- rehaut is slightly off center (Rolex engraving not lining up straight)
- cyclops is crooked
- crystal is a bit off center (LEC is not straight on at 6)
- DW is a bit off center

The DW will just need to be upgraded to a better one.

I figure the cyclops and crystal are easy enough to fix. Seen a few vids on removing cyclops with heat and then reattaching with UV glue. Also can pop out the crystal to realign.

For the rehaut and bezel though, I'm trying to figure out how to remove. I can't seem to find anything on removing a non-rotating bezel, and I tried the standard pry tool already with no luck. Anyone have any tips on that?

Same with the inner ring. Haven't really done an in depth search for this yet but maybe someone can chime in if they've already done it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Prize up the bezel from the case using a sharp knife, working your way around the watch - it will come off.

The rehaut is not off- you need to rotate the dial/movement clockwise.

When you remove the bezel ring, you can re-seat the crystal and try to find the best compromise for cyclops/etched crown - I don't recommend you remove the cyclops to re glue it - its difficult to do, easy to screw up.

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Thanks for the tip. I'll try one of my blades tonight to see if that will work since the pry tool that I have seems too thick to get under there.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks for the tip. I'll try one of my blades tonight to see if that will work since the pry tool that I have seems too thick to get under there.

Use a sharp cutter blade - Stanley utility knife for example - to get it started, once you the bezel starts to lift you can use a more solid/robust blade.

drummerkid1990

9/7/11
I use a utility knife blade, and use a wood mallet to tap the blade into the gap between the bezel and the case. Then start to pry up. Once it starts to pry up, remove the blade and repeat the process.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I use a utility knife blade, and use a wood mallet to tap the blade into the gap between the bezel and the case. Then start to pry up. Once it starts to pry up, remove the blade and repeat the process.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

^^ :thumbup:

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
I used to remove bezels with blades but was doing it enough to justify the four-bladed bezel removal tool.

It it works fantastic! And as you start working with rare and expensive acrylic crystals, you will see it is cheap insurance.

With th regards to your watch, rotate the dial and movement as @tripdog suggested. Ignore the LEC- focus attention instead on the cyclops being centered perfectly over the date window. I suspect the movement clamps are loose and/or bent a bit and not securing the movement. Easy fix while it's apart.

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
No idea what factory or version this is. Was an m2m.

Opened it up last night and readjusted the dial. Looks much better now.

93bbca5fa938aaeb8f5da2f322839880.jpg

Crooked date wheel is now my biggest annoyance lol.

Thanks for the tips guys.