• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Remove blue-ish AR coat for panerai.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Hey chaps, my panerai crystal have some scratches and the AR is blue-ish. So i use my imagination and put some darlie toothpaste on a cloth and thought that it would remove those scratches. Infact it removes the scratches and the AR too.. I only do half and the other half i didn't as i was comparing between the two of them..

Hope this helps for those ppl who always wanted to remove the AR coating. This is a much simple and easy method.

Ps. I polish the inside of the crystal not the outside.

Cheers.

LUWE

Renowned Member
9/7/11
maybe I don´t unterstand.... your crystal has scratches on the OUTSIDE.... you polished the INSIDE, why?

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
No it has scratches on the inside cus last time i scratch the crystal while disassemble the watch.

Craig88

Renowned Member
25/8/11
Is this the best way to remove the outer AR layer? I might be needing to do this soon on my pam.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Im not sure is this a safe way as I'm polishing the crystal and suddenly i notice that the AR coating is gone.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Hey guys, comment it after you have try it cus i want to see if its work for you guys as well.. And attach some photo for comparison as well. In order to let other users to see the before and after result.

Cheers. :)

Ps. I currently don't have any pic cus my iPhone is not beside me. Maybe tmr or so i will upload mine.

Scarface

1/3/11
What is darlie toothpaste or are you reffering to a normal toothpaste, i need to remove the ar of my h xtal

Sent from my ?

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
I'm not sure as normal toothpaste will do. Cus the darlie toothpaste was an expire toothpaste which I bought last time and never brush my teeth so I use it for polish things. U may try with Colgate or Sensodye. Try to squeeze It onto a cloth and try to polish the crystal in a circular motion, try to use some force ( remember don't be weak) and count how many times. For me I count about 40+ and I saw the ar coating is gone. So after you know the ar coating is gone, put the crystal under a running tap to wash the crystal cus it have toothpaste on it. It completed.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
The easiest and safest way to remove an AR coating is to use diamond paste (very fine, less than 0.5 microns) on a cloth and to rub the coating off.

Craig88

Renowned Member
25/8/11
The easiest and safest way to remove an AR coating is to use diamond paste (very fine, less than 0.5 microns) on a cloth and to rub the coating off.

Where does one find diamond paste Wiz? Is there risk of the bezel scratching when doing this?

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
I have remove the other half of the blue ar coating from my panerai. Now it's look terrific.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Where does one find diamond paste Wiz? Is there risk of the bezel scratching when doing this?
Removing an AR coating should be done with the crystal removed from the case.

As for where to find some, it's a polishing paste, you can find some from jeweller supply stores or online.

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
You can find diamond paste on ebay. I found that after WIZ told me to use that to remove AR on my Hublot Diver V6.
It worked pretty well, but it's certainly better to do it crystal removed, if you can't remove the crystal from the case you have to take care of all the parts around if you don't want to damage anything around it (by protecting them...)

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
+1

i use this paste (EU, Germany)

65da481b.jpg

link:

http://www.zujeddeloh.de/produkte/g...587/diamant_polierpaste_0,5-40_ym--_3909.html

Craig88

Renowned Member
25/8/11
I wouldn't be able to take the crystal out so would it be best to just do it while still in or take it to watchsmith? How badly can you scratch the bezel with this paste?

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Bad enough to not risk it. Alternativ is to tape the bezel

dj_enu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/3/13
it highly depends on ar coat. on some watches it can be easely removed by u method, on another-for example hublot it VERY VERY VERY hard to remove)