• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Speedmaster low power reserve ~12 hours

Dannyboy676

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/8/14
Hey guys, I recently updated the band and started wearing my omega Speedmaster but it's power reserve is abysmal. No where near 24 hours.
Anyone know where to start to figure out what's wrong?
No idea what movement is inside.
72ec36702a6574fe7269661dea6fb527.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
Also, it's been losing time too, but when I time it against the timer it isn't running slow

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Haven't seen that model before, looks pretty nice!

I'm guessing it's an automatic and the chronograph isn't functional? (i.e. it isn't used as a stopwatch; the pushers just move the subdials around or it's a day/date calendar?) If so, it's got a cheap 21j movement inside. No sense in servicing it really, since a brand new movement or even a brand new watch will probably cost less than fixing whatever's wrong with it.

Are you able to open the caseback? That would indicate any obvious problems like a screw floating around or something, but I suspect you'll need to source a new movement or donor watch and find someone to swap it over for you.

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
Pressing the buttons just clicks them around. Yes.

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Pressing the buttons just clicks them around. Yes.

Yeah so probably the 21j is just shot. Where are you located? If you're in the US Ofrei has some movements that would probably work in the $30 range, plus getting someone to install it (or doing it yourself if you've got the tools and are feeling brave)

http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

If you're in EU Cousins has the same thing.

Honestly might be worth putting that money towards a new watch though.

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
For some reason I thought they were cheaper. Lol.
I have a whole collection but this watch looks like a good driving/sport watch for my collection.
I could probably pull it off if it isn't too complicated.

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
I'll try to open it up and see if anything is loose.

I'm in Nyc

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Yeah looks like some variation on the DG3836. There are a whole bunch of different finishes and rotors. You can take some measurements to make sure the dial will fit, but sure looks like it to me.

If you've got some basic tools you can try swapping it yourself, lots of tutorials on this forum and others.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Unless you are really attached, or want to try your hand at a movement swap, I'd put the money towards a new watch and wear it as is until it dies. Side question, have you tried manually winding it and see how long it'll run?

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
the thing is, is that it is running super slow, besides for the power reserve...if i could get a cheap mvmnt, id be down to play around with it.

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
~$40 shipped is about as cheap as a mechanical movement like this gets new, unfortunately.

The only other thing I can think of is posting a WTB and tracking down someone with a donor watch that's cosmetically "bad" like a busted crystal or hands fell off or something but the movement is in good shape.

I know it's not the answer you want since you like the watch (I like it too!) but there are other great cheapie Speedy reps out there. I got a killer quartz Speedmaster Mark II "Rio" for $80 shipped a couple months ago.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
How cheap do you want the movement to be? I think that the $40 range shipped is dirt cheap already.

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
I guess I'll just be keeping this as eye candy [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
Good news! I winded the heck out of it.. And it stayed on for I believe over 24 hours. It might've lost ten minutes but I might've just set the time wrong initially.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Good news! I winded the heck out of it.. And it stayed on for I believe over 24 hours. It might've lost ten minutes but I might've just set the time wrong initially.

A happy ending! Now to set the time against someplace like time.gov and see how it does over a couple of days.

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
My question is however why does this watch not like to be recharged via kinetic movement like all my other reps?

Dannyboy676

27/8/14
Yep. It's working but losing time. So frustrating!
Oh well. I guess this will be a play watch for decoration

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Unfortunately the down side is the movements are so cheap in the 21j that it's not economical to repair them, and unless there is an emotional attachment or strong personal liking, most watches they are in are not worth fixing. The upside is they are for the most part durable movements due to their relative simplicity. You could try disassembling the autowind and see if there is an obvious flaw and oil it, but I'm thinking there is something more wrong. The movement is already toast. Afterwards you can decide if you want to pop a new movement in. It is a nice looking watch.