• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Release mechanism tutorial and how i fix them

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
ok many know me by now and know i type as i speak , plain english and no big words , but im guessing now u guys know me and can understand me , well at least i hope u can lol what i will be showing u is how i fix the release mechanism if u push it out of the socket so to speak, this one was pretty bad he bent some things i had to straighten out and piece back together, ok lets start , remember my pointer is the screwdriver ok

first of all u take the hands , dial and datewheel off , this is a mbw, so there is glue to tend with and u have to be really careful while taking the dial off or u could bend it
pic of the , hands ,dial, and datewheel and top of the movment once removed

im pointing with a screwdriver in this pic to show u the release spring for the datewheel u simply push it in to release it , also the big screw underneath my screwdriver/pointer i loosend a bit , reason for that will be coming up

this is how it looks when u push the stem release mechanism too hard notice how the sparts r bulging outward

now the fix, we have to remove the top plate , remove this screw

remember that screw below the datewheel release spring i said earlier u need to loosen but not remove here is why , when u do this it makes it easier to pull the top plate out

see the little lip on the top plate , it slides under that plate/big screw i loosened at the datewheel release spring , here is the little lip and where it slides under

now u have to loosen this screw and remove this piece , i dont know the correct name for this piece but u can see what im doing in the pic . also where that screw driver is do u see the bend in it, this where the person pushed really hard and bent this piece way on the other side , u really have to push it to achieve this bend lol hey he didnt know and i commend him trying to do some work himself , sometimes trying something is how u learn

another shot of the bend at the screw

ok now u have to remove the little arm im showing it simply pulls upwards off the post im pointing at

now u pull the stem release mechanism out to reposition in its correct place , like a puzzle

backside shot of the pusher , this post im showing is what u actually r pushing on to release the stem from the movment

now all u do is reverse everything i just showed u and put it back together some key points is in this pic, make sure this arm is around the little post on top of the release mechanism

and make sure u push the u shaped spring over to the side of the little metal piece im showing , it is spring action and when u push the stem in and out to change date or time , it helps push the arm up and down

after u get everything lined up and positioned correctly , u put your top plate back on like so making sure u slide the little lip back under that plate im showing and tighten that screw and put your top plate back in place and tighten it down

this is how it looks with it all in order and as u can see the bent parts r straight and looking good , lol

after pushing in and out the stem testing it now u can put your datewheel back on , u have to push in that little spring i showed u at the top to get the datewheel to lock in position

now it all works properly , and u can smile and now take a breath of air lol
enjoy , i know im not a english major and i never claimed to be, i tried to make it fun and simple for u to understand

just wanted u to know if u try this at home u have to have patience and if u r nervous or shakey i wouldnt recommend working on watches lol cheers

now for the best part after a job is completed ..... BEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Reactions: wilsonpepper

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I have a question on your tutorial. On the same movement you are showing, I was changing a date wheel. In your pictures you show removing in reinstalling a date wheel and mention you have to push in the little spring to get it to click into place. How did you reach the spring to push it in with the date wheel overlay covering it completely?

I had to take off the overlay and then reglue it since I couldn't figure out any other way to get to the little spring. Is there an easier way?

I appreciate any information you can help me with. It was a great tutorial.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Hi, im sry for the delay and i just ready your question and im glad u asked , here is how i do it

i take a # 50 screwdriver and i eyeball where the spring is and i place the datewheel in place like it should be and i slide the thin screwdriver from the outer edge under and push it in ,at the same time i apply a small amount of pressure with my finger over that point so when i slide the screwdriver out ,the spring stays put and then i give a slight wiggle and she is installed , it might take u some practice but remember i do it all the time, lol and boy doing it your way is aggravating to me and very time consuming to get it ligned up properly

i hope u understand what i just typed, if not lmk and maybe i can talk u through it over the phone

also im glad my tutorial helped u fix it yourself , u just saved yourself some money and get to feel proud of doing it yourself without screwing your watch up , now go get that beer my friend , lol

joe(rbj69)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Thanks again for the reply. I had trouble trying to do it that way. I just need a smaller screwdriver, I guess.

I'm tempted to take it apart again just to try.

NOOOOO. I think not.

Great tutorial.

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
Release mechanism tutorial for A7750

does any one have one of these for a A7750 movement. the pusher for the stem release seems to be stuck on one i am working on.

fantrider

Looking Around
28/12/08
Thanks RBJ. I just did this today and fixed a watch. This helped sooo much !!! Success for a noob !!!

D

d4m.test

BUMP for GREAT stuff ! THANK YOU ! (beer is GREAT stuff TOO !) & ***IT WAS GREAT TALKING WITH YOU TODAY JOE. IT'S LATE RIGHT NOW, SO I MAY NOT GET INTO THE DG2813 lo to high beat hour, & minute gear swap we disussed, but IF NOT NOW, I WILL GET TO IT SOON, & I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES. STAY STRONG & GOD BLESS Cheers, Joe in RI 1-25-12 YEE,HA BEER!

D

d4m.test

OK, so ten hours later I finally F'N did it !!! I DID, I DID, I really DID !!!! I fixed a gen Swiss ETA gen 2824-2 that I screwed-up a couple months ago. rbj69 Thank You BIG TIME ! I am going to put this in a nice black "fakeymariner" case I got a while back. I already have the dial, hands, & case ready to go, yee-ha, now the movement is is ready too ! Once I solve my camera issues I will post photos. Thanks again rbj69!

imbisibol

1/1/11
thank you for this tutorial.

i'd like to ask what maybe the problem if - when pulling out a stem to set the time, it goes all the way out instead (stem is pulled out of the watch)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
UM, Sconey, they are old PHP links mate. From the old software.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
They are gone forever................

Unless he posted them on another forum, which I doubt.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
the only thing that changed in this how to thread is , im a bit older and my beer of choice, lol glad it has helped some people , that is what its here for :)

Andypandy

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
22/9/10
United Kingdom
what position do I remove stem on keyless works movement

I need to remove stem on a watch movement which as a keyless works movement . I hear some say take it out in the winding position and some say in the time setting position. I am not sure of the movement type , so here is a couple of pics
2011-10-18133820.jpg

the tutorial was very good but I am hoping to avoid doing this by removing the stem correctly

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Great write up!

But i can´t get the date mechanism working! Is there a tutorial how to put the parts back together?

Thanks