• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Oversized Crown - SMP

scottie333

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/10/06
Hi all.

Thank god it's Friday!

I received my SMP from Andrew just over a week ago (ETA) and it's still ticking!!

It's a brilliant timepiece and there are only 2 flaws, in addition to the mis-aligned bezel and the infamous screws (not pins) on the bracelet, that I as a Newbie have picked up.

1. The crown is about 2mm longer than the Gen.

2. It is a fullsize version and yet there is no lume/hour marker to the right of the Date Window. In the pictures I have seen on the various Dealer Sites, there is a tiny rectangular lume/hour marker at the 3 O'clock position. I have been led to believe that this is only omitted on the Mid-Size version.

Is it fairly easy to replace the Crown with the correctly sized one?

If so, I'll order one from Ofrei.

Thanks!

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Post pics of your rep.

2mm long is pretty big crown discrepancy. Maybe it's not threaded in all the way or you're looking at the wrong generation of gen.

If your SMP's crown is really 2mm bigger than others, then your watch crown must look like it's completely unscrewed...

Rob1

Horology Curious
16/12/06
scottie333 said:
Hi all.

Thank god it's Friday!

I received my SMP from Andrew just over a week ago (ETA) and it's still ticking!!

It's a brilliant timepiece and there are only 2 flaws that I as a Newbie have picked up.

1. The crown is about 2mm longer than the Gen.

2. It is a fullsize version and yet there is no lume/hour marker to the right of the Date Window. In the pictures I have seen on the various Dealer Sites, there is a tiny rectangular lume/hour marker. I have been led to believe that this is only omitted on the Mid-Size version.

Is it fairly easy to replace the Crown with the correctly sized one?

If so, I'll order one from Ofrei.

Thanks!

I'm in the same position with my new SMP (although I hadn't noticed the long crown until you pointed it out). I contacted Andrew regarding the missing marker at the 3 o'clock position, and he said the factory changed the design of the dial so there was no manufacturing error (which is what I thought it might have been). Unfortunately the photos on Andrew's website show a slightly different version to the watch that I received :(

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...@scottie333: is it the stem that is too long? If that's the case you need to cut it down to the right size and re-fit the crown...

[email protected] once ordered a Cartier with the wrong date wheel and Andrew told me that I a had received an "updated version". Updated nothing. it was the wrong wheel. Unfortunately it sounds like you did not get the exact watch that you wanted and will either go through the hassle of exchanging it, or just learn to like it the way it is... :) Good luck.

Rob1

Horology Curious
16/12/06
cybee said:
[email protected] once ordered a Cartier with the wrong date wheel and Andrew told me that I a had received an "updated version". Updated nothing. it was the wrong wheel. Unfortunately it sounds like you did not get the exact watch that you wanted and will either go through the hassle of exchanging it, or just learn to like it the way it is... :) Good luck.

I think I'll learn to like it, it's a nice watch and keeps great time (less than a second a day fast). Unfortunately the missing hour marker (and now the long crown) does draw my eye whenever I look at the watch, so I think it will get a bit less wrist time than I had anticipated. For future rep purchases I'll be a bit more circumspect about the dealers I use :roll:

scottie333

17/10/06
Gio. I had my hands on a Gen and compared the two. It definitely looks like a longer Crown!!

I am very pleased with the Watch and too be perfectly honest, I have had nothing but compliments about it! The average person in the street does not belong to a Forum like this and if they did, well they would understand!!! I don't think that it will get "called out".

Rob. Glad too see you're new too and I feel exactly the same as you!!

I will however keep on using Andrew as he is a Genuine Guy and "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't!!" No offence Andrew!! LOL :)

I have ordered a "Perfect" Sub from him and also a 45mm Ultimate PO (orange) so we'll see what they're like when they eventually turn up!

Thanks for the advice guys!!

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Rob1 said:
cybee said:

I think I'll learn to like it, it's a nice watch and keeps great time (less than a second a day fast). Unfortunately the missing hour marker (and now the long crown) does draw my eye whenever I look at the watch, so I think it will get a bit less wrist time than I had anticipated. For future rep purchases I'll be a bit more circumspect about the dealers I use :roll:

...I'm glad the watch is keeping good time. :) It seems like it is hit and miss with some watches, and it's a little helpful being able to do minor repairs. If you ever get a chance try and post a pic of the crown..see ya. :)

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
scottie333 said:
Gio. I had my hands on a Gen and compared the two. It definitely looks like a longer Crown!!

Can you post a pic of your rep?--I'd like to see it; not that I doubt you, but I've just never seen one like that before. I shot a comparison of my gen SMP chrono and my rep here:

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

It sucks if that's what you got stuck with; I'd return it. Would like to see a pic though. Maybe an easy fix, like the stem.

scottie333

17/10/06
There are more of us out there!

Guys.

This is obviously not a unique problem (oversized crown)!

See...

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1397

Shame as everything else is brilliant.

I hope that I can replace the Crown without too much difficulty.

Can anyone give me the length in MM of either a Gen Crown or a correctly sized Rep Crown (or both) taken by measuring from the back view of the Watch??

Please.... :)

canuto666

Looking Around
6/12/06
scottie333:

You have a perfect replica of Omega Seamaster Professional 300M (model 2551.80.00). The original one has no lume/hour marker to the right of the Date Window.

Enjoy it. ;-)

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Here is a photo of an original... check out that crown!

Life is Good!
Klink

scottie333

17/10/06
Thanks guys - I am well chuffed!!

Thanks Guys!! :roll:

You nearly made my day!!

You are both however referring to a Mid-Size (Unisex) SMP!!!!!! :lol:

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M (model 2551.80.00) = MID SIZE

I did say this earlier in the thread. Thanks anyway!!

By the way, I know I'm a cheeky NOOB. Haha.

Scott.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Heck, you know we don't know sheeite..

have you a side by side with the real deal??

Cheers,

Klink
Life is Good!

scottie333

17/10/06
I wish....

Klink.

I wish I did!!! Ahhh, if only... What happened was this. I went into an AD and asked to look at the watch. At the time I was still waiting for mine to arrive from Andrew and I thought it would take about another week.

I tried it on, examined it to the minutest detail and generally got a "feel" for the Gen. The next day, as if by magic, my Rep turned up!! Everything apart from what I picked up at (listed earlier in this thread) was Perfect!!

I am very happy as none of my friends who have viewed the watch have noticed!!

:)

Life is VERY good!!

Scott.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would say that certainly you've got what you paid for. However, the genuine Omega SMP still has much better finish than the rep. Especially on bracelet parts. The genuine SMP is just an awesome timepiece. The rep doesn't really do justice but certainly the rep is worth it.

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11060