• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Release Mainspring Tension

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Hi Guys,

I learned an expensive lesson with the 2892. I tried to change the 4th wheel while the mainspring still had wind and destroyed the teeth on the 3rd wheel.

Not only does it mean I now need to pay for a service (which I deserve for playing), but I still don't know how to let the mainspring down on a 2892.

Does anybody have a tutorial on this? It is a swiss ETA 2892 by the way sourced from the UK not a TD.

Thanks

Craig

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Ouch, sorry to hear that. From taking a quick look at the 2892 assembly, it appears there is a little window on the top of the barrel bridge that allows access to the click spring. You would need to hold the crown/stem and release the click spring and let the power off slowly through the crown/stem. I prefer to just let them sit until they unwind.

Go here:http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/2892a2/2892a2.html

And then go to page A18 and you will see the spring in the hole next to the jewel for the mainspring.

Let me know if you need any more gear wheels. I've got another set of standard height. Have you got the other one I sent you yet?

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Ouch, sorry to hear that. From taking a quick look at the 2892 assembly, it appears there is a little window on the top of the barrel bridge that allows access to the click spring. You would need to hold the crown/stem and release the click spring and let the power off slowly through the crown/stem. I prefer to just let them sit until they unwind.

Go here:http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/2892a2/2892a2.html

And then go to page A18 and you will see the spring in the hole next to the jewel for the mainspring.

Let me know if you need any more gear wheels. I've got another set of standard height. Have you got the other one I sent you yet?

It arrived today. Thanks for that buddy. Really helped me out. I also got a replacement third wheel as that looks like the only one with stripped teeth from cousins. Along with a hacking lever as it didn't have one.

I think I see what you mean on there now. I will remember that for next time.... If there is a next time.

Thanks KBH!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk