• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rattling inside 6497-but still runs. Help!!!

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I wanted to pick your guy's brains. I am trying to help out a friend with his 6497. It is rattling inside the movement. I have decased it, removed the hands and dial as well as the movement ring and there is still very much metal clunking around in there. I have checked all the screws and everything is in place and tight. This is the kicker - it still runs. Like a champ. But it is loud inside the movement lol. Any ideas. Any and ALL welcome!! Thanks.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
No. It just clunks around when you move the watch.

spankster23

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/13
Texas
That sounds like the movement ring is not seated tight in the case. And or the movement it's self has some play. Sometimes even thought the movement tabs seem tight, there is sideways movement.

Once in in a while I have to use very thin, brass sheets, 2mm thick and cut 4mm strips by 20mm long and use them as a wedge between the case and the movement or movement holder. Usually 2 opposite each other. They are thin and bend and comform to the case. Be sure not to interfere with the stem, the balance or the barrel...

You can buy the sheets at a hobby store...

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Thanks but it's not the ring or the holder. I have removed the mvt from the case. Removed the mvt tabs and mvt ring and it's still making the sound. There is literally something inside the mvt.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Thanks but it's not the ring or the holder. I have removed the mvt from the case. Removed the mvt tabs and mvt ring and it's still making the sound. There is literally something inside the mvt.

How does it wind? Isn't it a snapped clickspring? Seriously I can't think of any part in a 6497 floating around with the movement still working. More likely a screw head that snapped?

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Winds great. Still keeping great time from last night too. Never thought of a screw head that could be snapped, especially if it's only half the head which would still hold something down so it could run. But when I had the dial and hands off as well and shook it nothing came out.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
My guess is that it's under the middle bridge because anywhere else it would mess up the drive train or the balance wheel

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Remove the bridges maybe? It's an easy movement to work on, if you need live assistance trough skype or so, just let me know :)

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Remove the bridges maybe? It's an easy movement to work on, if you need live assistance trough skype or so, just let me know :)
Thanks man. Seems the spring in the barrel is broken. Tap the barrel and you can hear it clinking inside.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Thanks man. Seems the spring in the barrel is broken. Tap the barrel and you can hear it clinking inside.

What? And it still runs? Now I'm damn curious about what it is!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Haha there seems to be differing opinions so who knows.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Haha there seems to be differing opinions so who knows.

It could be a little piece of the spring, but my guess would be chinese pubes! :lol:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Must be some thick ass pubes to make it rattle that much lol