• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RAF 16610, New 5 Digit Factory

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
i know i have friends doing that. Couldnt pay me enough money to have the lightness and comfort of a 5 digit oyster taken away from me sorry

Agreed. I like each generation for their differences. The light bracelets on the 5 digits don’t bother me at all. It’s just part of what makes it a 5 digit.

ombre

So Young...So Naive
Supporter
Certified
13/5/16

Picked this up via M2M here and mad a few changes. It had one of the more protruding crowns that was fixed with a gen crown. I tried swapping the SH3135 with a VS3135 but ran into the same issue as others have - the date wheel was sitting very low in the DW. I tried to bend the dial feet a little but this threw off the dial alignment to me. I ended up using a VR3135 with one of VSF early date wheels and got the correct DW alignment. I tried swapping over the calendar plate from the VR to the VS and it fixed the DW alignment by about half. So, in the end I just used the VR but put in a spare VS autowind with gen reversing wheels.

The bezel action wasn't too bad when I received it. The bezel was pretty sharp and the inner diameter was much less than gen-spec. The RAF insert must have been shaved from the factory because it was sanded quite a bit on the edges which made the edges look rough under the right light. I didn't feel like working the bezel forever so I just put a gen bezel and retaining ring on. I ended up using one of the Horlogear green inserts which snapped right in without using the adhesive ring.

The very last touch, although not period correct, was a gen b25-295-c12 crystal. I used a 2.5mm gasket to keep the correct thickness and crystal height. I can't say I am expert on differentiating between 2.5x or 2x on the cyclops so I used the gasket size to keep the correct crystal height vs the date mag. But, I think the date magnification looks good with a 2.5mm gasket.

For anyone wondering, I don't care about the CG shape on this version.

Also have to thank @KJ2020 for his dial cleaning DIY recommendations. There were a couple little smudges between the dial markers and his method of cleaning worked like a charm. Thanks again man.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Picked this up via M2M here and mad a few changes. It had one of the more protruding crowns that was fixed with a gen crown. I tried swapping the SH3135 with a VS3135 but ran into the same issue as others have - the date wheel was sitting very low in the DW. I tried to bend the dial feet a little but this threw off the dial alignment to me. I ended up using a VR3135 with one of VSF early date wheels and got the correct DW alignment. I tried swapping over the calendar plate from the VR to the VS and it fixed the DW alignment by about half. So, in the end I just used the VR but put in a spare VS autowind with gen reversing wheels.

The bezel action wasn't too bad when I received it. The bezel was pretty sharp and the inner diameter was much less than gen-spec. The RAF insert must have been shaved from the factory because it was sanded quite a bit on the edges which made the edges look rough under the right light. I didn't feel like working the bezel forever so I just put a gen bezel and retaining ring on. I ended up using one of the Horlogear green inserts which snapped right in without using the adhesive ring.

The very last touch, although not period correct, was a gen b25-295-c12 crystal. I used a 2.5mm gasket to keep the correct thickness and crystal height. I can't say I am expert on differentiating between 2.5x or 2x on the cyclops so I used the gasket size to keep the correct crystal height vs the date mag. But, I think the date magnification looks good with a 2.5mm gasket.

For anyone wondering, I don't care about the CG shape on this version.

Also have to thank @KJ2020 for his dial cleaning DIY recommendations. There were a couple little smudges between the dial markers and his method of cleaning worked like a charm. Thanks again man.
Looks great bro. WTG with trying various combos til you get it how you want it. It's so often the life of a serious hobbyist or modder.

Link to dial washing for others - read the cautions, test on a junk dial, perform at own risk!

Post 19 and after
DIY Dial Shaving

Sundek

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/3/18
Italy
Hi everyone, I bought a RAF/ARF months ago.
I improved it with VR movement, data disc gen, crystal vs, new spring for the click of the bezel, new crown because I had the wrong one suitable for the gold versions (then raf updated this too).
The watch is even more fantastic now.
However, the bezel has too angular knurling (someone raised this detail).
I would like to get a new bezel.
Does anyone know if RAF has improved this angularity with the latest silent updates?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
@Sundek

You have some options, you can go the route with the "older" JF 166xx bezel. This was fine.
The first ARF had also nice bezel feeling and click.

The RAF is not so smooth... but there was again improvment with the actual ARF (the latest batch which is available)
Perhaps you can source here on of these mentioned parts ... ?

There are always people upgrading / changing parts.
You can also start an "Want To Buy" in the sales area.

Reactions: wubsub

Sundek

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/3/18
Italy
@Nur-Uhr

thanks for your input
my td can to me the bezel kit
I was wondering if anyone knows that the latest version is improved, I think so
you're right I can see on the sales section even if there is no certainty of the quality of the part

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
So I took my LV in another direction. I don’t know why but I can’t stop tinkering with my watches lol. I picked up a gen “SWISS MADE” LN dial from the bay. I’m waiting on delivery of a gen insert and LN hands, in the meantime I have a random aged insert in place. The list of mods so far are as follows:
Gen dial
Gen crown
WSO bezel and insert
Clarks crystal
VS 3135

surf

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/8/12
I am about to get one for a build after a lot of research on the case options. Is the bracelet WM9 or TC quality or is it rubbish like BP? The dealer i am using only charges $327.00 all in shipped is that about what others are paying? Seems cheap enough to gamble on.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am about to get one for a build after a lot of research on the case options. Is the bracelet WM9 or TC quality or is it rubbish like BP? The dealer i am using only charges $327.00 all in shipped is that about what others are paying? Seems cheap enough to gamble on.
I never saw anything great about TC bracelets. I have numerous BP bracelets with the same PJ4 clasp codes. Make your own conclusions. I put a Ginault bracelet on my TC, which is as good as a gen 6 digit IMO and far better than a gen 5 digit.