• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Three little subs...

Fidhle007

13/8/11
I finally got around to taking a picture of my small sub collection now that everything seems to be mostly together and in half-decent working order...

Here's an overview:

imag0025tg.jpg

First up is my modded Noob 16610. CGs shaped, superlumed, cyclops aligned, tested to 200m and so forth. Thanks to DarthAlex and Correcttime for this one!

imag0026vb.jpg

Next up is my first attempt at a "build." It's a Noob case (thanks to RSH) and a cannibalization of ebay parts and a ceramic sub. It may not stay like this but I thought it was a fun fantasy (I've seen a couple of gens like this and thought they were fantastic) and worth wearing for a little while. For the full custom effect it has a Glidelock clasp on it too...

imag0027lj.jpg

Lastly is my Ceramic that I bought from an untrusted dealer for WAY too much. The pearl was way off so I attempted to center it and the insert but to no avail. A week later the pearl fell off anyway so I tossed it on the NATO and decided it looked rather tough like that. Today, though I got fed up with the ugly hole in the insert and dug a modded Noob pearl out of my parts bin and went to town with drill bits and sandpaper until it fit. I'm using stronger glue this time and except for the color being off I don't think it looks bad at all!

imag0033x.jpg

Thanks for looking! Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Brendan

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
They all look good, especially the blue sub. If I'm not mistaken, this model (not ceramic) was a limited run for the Japanese market and I believe called the summer sub?

If you enjoy them, that's what counts.

Fidhle007

13/8/11
Ah, well so it is! I've seen them and always thought they were custom jobs, it's good to know it's a real piece! I may have to take the glidelock off now... :)

D

d4m.test

Nice collection, B.! From my view and distance, the pearl on the third one looks pretty good. Good job. I tried that -- and made a mess... .

dave

I finally got around to taking a picture of my small sub collection now that everything seems to be mostly together and in half-decent working order...

Here's an overview:

imag0025tg.jpg

First up is my modded Noob 16610. CGs shaped, superlumed, cyclops aligned, tested to 200m and so forth. Thanks to DarthAlex and Correcttime for this one!

imag0026vb.jpg

Next up is my first attempt at a "build." It's a Noob case (thanks to RSH) and a cannibalization of ebay parts and a ceramic sub. It may not stay like this but I thought it was a fun fantasy (I've seen a couple of gens like this and thought they were fantastic) and worth wearing for a little while. For the full custom effect it has a Glidelock clasp on it too...

imag0027lj.jpg

Lastly is my Ceramic that I bought from an untrusted dealer for WAY too much. The pearl was way off so I attempted to center it and the insert but to no avail. A week later the pearl fell off anyway so I tossed it on the NATO and decided it looked rather tough like that. Today, though I got fed up with the ugly hole in the insert and dug a modded Noob pearl out of my parts bin and went to town with drill bits and sandpaper until it fit. I'm using stronger glue this time and except for the color being off I don't think it looks bad at all!

imag0033x.jpg

Thanks for looking! Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Brendan

rsh

3/4/10
Love the blue sub, fantasy pieces like this are super cool

Fidhle007

13/8/11
I'm really happy with how it came out! I did some work on the CGs today and a new pearl or possibly better insert is on the future list. This was part of my inspiration, although I've seen some others in the past. I assumed they were all custom like the one I linked but I'm curious to see if I can find this elusive "summer sub" somewhere! So far all I'm finding are reps...

Fidhle007

13/8/11
Don't knock the wok! I love my wok, my grandfather brought it back from china in the '40s or so and I cook in it whenever I can! I just don't want it on my watch...

You're right, putting it together is the fun for sure. This could get dangerously addicting... It's a lot less wear and tear on my knuckles then fixing cars, too!

maxlawbr

27/9/06
They all look good, especially the blue sub. If I'm not mistaken, this model (not ceramic) was a limited run for the Japanese market and I believe called the summer sub?

If you enjoy them, that's what counts.

Nice collection, I love subs.

But this blue one, for the japanese market, is supposed to have the blue dial like the TT blue late model, without solid color in the dial, like this one below. I think it is a gen.

RolexAsianBluesub.jpg

This one is mine, sorry for the dirty crystal.

CIMG0580.jpg

CIMG1614.jpg

So, the blue japan sub, has metalic dial, old sub case, and regular (non ceramic) blue bezel, it is like the previous TT blue sub, all in SS.

Max

Fidhle007

13/8/11
Thanks for the info! I was limited to what I have available for parts so it sits how it sits (which is why I call it a fantasy and not a clone) but the more I wear it the more I love it. A WM pearl is in order but other then that it's a great piece. I know the glidelock is VERY not accurate but honestly, it wears so nicely I just don't care! I'd be hard pressed to not get a gen glidelock for my gen 16610 if I was in such a position to do so... :)

maxlawbr

27/9/06
I understand what you said.

I just posted my reply to show you that there is a blue SS sub, with previous case blue dial and bezel, as a part of education in our hobby.

Yours is very nice, and you should wear it with pride and in good health. Congrats.

Max

Fidhle007

13/8/11
I understand what you said.

I just posted my reply to show you that there is a blue SS sub, with previous case blue dial and bezel, as a part of education in our hobby.

Yours is very nice, and you should wear it with pride and in good health. Congrats.

Max

Thanks for posting, yours looks great and I appreciate the info!

One of my concerns when assembling the watch was the plain dial and how it would look against the aluminum bezel. It's sourced out of a ceramic sub who's bezel it matched perfectly but overall the watch just felt too "blah" to me. Everything was the same color blue and just kind of monotone. On the new build the colors came out really well and match very closely now that the dial is behind the crystal.