• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about the VS3135

ProfRolex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/4/22
I have a question about the 3135. Which parts are replaceable by original parts? And what makes sense? I would like a submariner as far as Franconia as you no longer recognize that this is a replica. Unfortunately, no complete works can be purchased. I've already looked at eBay. But the parts do. Would invest 2000 euros. Thank you in advance

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well Prof, I never understand why anyone wants to replace hidden rep movement parts with gen parts on a watch with a solid caseback. The money it costs to do so would fund several complete replacement Asian clone movements. My recommendation would be to spend money on replacing visible parts with gen, and leave the movement alone.

And BTW, stating that the reason for wanting to Franken the movement is so “you no longer recognise that this is a replica” gives the impression that the intention is to deceive. I’m sure this isn’t the case, but it does happen, so that’s something to be aware of.

Reactions: g00n

ProfRolex

Banned
28/4/22
So I have already ordered original glass. The bezel looks very good. Only the pearl is not quite on top. And no, don't deceive, but it's nice to know that this is an almost original work. I also wanted to buy an original band. But if you get some, it costs 1500 euros and for that I prefer to frank the movement.

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Well Prof, I never understand why anyone wants to replace hidden rep movement parts with gen parts on a watch with a solid caseback. The money it costs to do so would fund several complete replacement Asian clone movements. My recommendation would be to spend money on replacing visible parts with gen, and leave the movement alone.

And BTW, stating that the reason for wanting to Franken the movement is so “you no longer recognise that this is a replica” gives the impression that the intention is to deceive. I’m sure this isn’t the case, but it does happen, so that’s something to be aware of.

Why not? Most of the rep visible parts are now so good that the price replacement with gen is a bit illogical. There will basically only you that know what is rep or gen on your watch but at the end it’s your project. On mine i love the fact that i hunted every parts and i know every little details about my watches. And I’ll eventually franken my movement on my 16610, because it’s the ultimate step. In fact i already have a lot of part, i only miss time (and a gen balance bridge) :)

And to answer the OP question, basically everything is swapable on a VS. There are a few hit & miss as rep tolerance is not like gen tolerance.
Oh, and even with a lot of gen parts your movement will still be easily recognisable as a franken because of the mainplate. You could also swap the mainplate with a gen but it’s impossible to find, and so expensive that it will be faster to buy a gen movement. And you’ll have spent so much money on your build that the only true gen aspect of it will be the price :)

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
A gen balance and bridge will give you a more stable movement than the replica balance. I’ve done a few of these including gen pallet fork and escape wheel, auto wind module, etc and they are excellent. Keep in mind that not every vs3135 will work with a gen balance. You have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

ProfRolex

Banned
28/4/22
A gen balance and bridge will give you a more stable movement than the replica balance. I’ve done a few of these including gen pallet fork and escape wheel, auto wind module, etc and they are excellent. Keep in mind that not every vs3135 will work with a gen balance. You have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Are there so many different vs3135?

ProfRolex

Banned
28/4/22
Its better i buy a second vs3135 movement?