• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PP 5712 movement 240 disassembled comparison pictures[video]

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Hello, everyone

This time I bought the mini version of the original 5712 -- 5015 (the old version) at a huge cost. They have the same movement, the difference is that there is no PP engraving on the 5015 movement, and the end of the minute hand is not bronzed. The new 5712 minute hand has a bronze top.

The 240 is a relatively complex and basic movement with many models in use. For example, 6102p/6104g for $400,000 or 6000g/6000r for $20,000 are different only in function modules.

The display functions of this movement are: hour hand, independent small second hand, pointer calendar, moon phase, power reserve

But 5327, for example, would be: hour hand, quarter, month, date, moon phase and am/pm. That is, we say the perpetual calendar function, automatically adjust the difference of the month and so on... I won't go through them all today.

The 240 movement on the 5712 is the only multifunctional movement with a 1:1 modeling after the 324 movement. By disassembling and comparing them, we can see that the quality of this movement is very good. But I think the price is rather high. Of course, this is the decision of the movement factory and the watch factory, we can't control it.

Patj44

Nice guy
Supporter
Certified
10/11/22
It would be interesting to have cloned movement finished to the level of the gen at everything that is visible and what the cost would be. Some folks here are changing the moon disk and having the movement engraved. If the clone cost $2500, would there be a market?

Reactions: Djsani26 and X24222

Rman

Rep Hobbyist
Supporter
28/6/22
Toronto
bow down all hail GIF by The Academy Awards

Reactions: BIONONE and CTime

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Absolutely fabulous breakdown and comparison. Some interesting differences mechanically between the two movements! And also of course the difference in finishing quality is present as always. Thank you so much for these part by part comparisons. They’re hugely valuable!

Reactions: CTime and X24222

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Great comparative pictures. ZF or whatever rep movement manufacturer still have some work to do. Give them some time, they'll either do it or maybe not, as long as it works.

Reactions: CTime

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Stunning work from ZF.

A PP 5712 Gen costs over 50.000 $; with a fraction of the price we can get a nicely decorated micro rotor movement from ZF.

OF course there are differences, but hell, a Gen PP CAliber 240 is like 8.000 $ , the caliber alone.

So, thanks to ZF and thanks to @CTime for these wonderful comparisons !

Reactions: locvs and CTime

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
These are great posts and like the effort you take to present it to us. I think this is a great improvement. Interested in who would do the rotor engravin. That would be my path.

betze

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/22
Another quality post by @CTime . Incredible work by ZF and great video. Mindblowing the level of quality of these reps

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
Great comparison.
Given the cost discrepancy the rep is absolutely amazing.

Still don’t understand, why ZF deci to print instead of engrave. Its the last minuscule step that brings such an improvement to the overall aesthetic of the back…

langgo

6/1/17
The Netherlands
Really apriciate this kind of post. I get it there are still differences but these rep are a fraction of the cost of real PP

seanizcool

Known Member
3/9/21
Definitely some rough looking parts, but from the price differential I'd say they're doing pretty good! I swear in pic 34 the ZF actually looks better

TDFBluWaffle

Supporter
Certified
11/9/18
Munich
I mean… the finishing on the gen is so much nicer. But then I remember how much the gen costs 😅 awesome comparison!

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Certain components are slightly different than gen. My personal teardown of the 240 clone was largely uneventful, which is saying something.

A big job but straightforward movement to work on.

As a note, remember if you need to get to the keyless, you only need to unscrew 3 screws on the calendar plate to remove it. You don't need to disassemble the moonphase, pusher complication or moonphase complications in order to remove it. Very cool system.

Castiel Stang

Horology Curious
28/1/23
Sydney
This is amazing information, thank you for sharing. Seeing comparison like this makes me appreciate the amount of work they put on gen yet also how amazing that they can clone the movement!