• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

This Trusted dealer really burns my but!!

stefanp67

Horology Curious
5/8/10
What about a dealer ratings list? For example:

Dealer Rating Subcategories (Pricing, Quality, Warranty handling etc)
--------------------------------------
Dealer1 10(10)
DealerX 1(10)

It will help the n00b's a lot and maybe inspire a little competition among the dealers to reach the top spot.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Just ask them to take a look at the trusted dealer review. If the moment, they enter the particular dealer review thread and see nothing but complains. I think it will tell you the answer.

techlogik

16/7/09
A few years back somebody posted this funny video of a chinese shipping worker just launching a bunch of boxes off the back of a truck onto the ground.

It was titled something to the effect of "Why your watch shows up broken from China." It was on one of the forums.

It could have been damaged in shipping, but also, these movements are often garbage put in the reps. It is amazing more don't fail.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
A few years back somebody posted this funny video of a chinese shipping worker just launching a bunch of boxes off the back of a truck onto the ground.

It was titled something to the effect of "Why your watch shows up broken from China." It was on one of the forums.

It could have been damaged in shipping, but also, these movements are often garbage put in the reps. It is amazing more don't fail.

yup... They just dump yr parcel as it is his enemies. But not only China.. every countries cargo handler do that. Throwing it is much faster. If happen he missed yr parcel then you know what happen.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
I've had a couple of bad experiences with a dealer.

I bought an 21J, QC'ed and everything, but when it arrived it was a ******* quartz! Even had the ******* gall to offer me a 10$ discount for future purchases if i kept it. No way was i gonna accept that and i don't think a watch smith can fix that for me, so i paid to have it sent back.

Few weeks in, dealer tells me they've received my watch, but the original watch i wanted was no longer in production! Probably why they sent a quartz in the first place. Since the only other thing i wanted was a leather and deployant clasp for a watch i had purchased from them previously, i order that and got the rest refunded to me.

Before they sent out my watch, i checked and double checked with them to make sure they were sending me a deployant instead of a buckle. But, big surprise, when the package arrived it was a buckle. Once again, they offered a 10$ credit to future purchases. So back it went, and i had to pay shipping too, and after all this, i'm out 2X shipping fees and no watch.

And here's the ultimate kicker: They PP'ed me my refund, and let me bear the fees. Even gave me some song and dance about exchange rates and some nonsense.
Hmmz...Gee, now I wonder who this could be? Hmmz...Watcheden????
Just say I am wrong, if so.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I thought WE was doing better lately.
I don't understand what has happened to our TDs over the past few months. It seems they've all gone pretty much into the crapper. Mary at WI is the only one I've heard consistent praise for lately.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
I thought WE was doing better lately.
I don't understand what has happened to our TDs over the past few months. It seems they've all gone pretty much into the crapper. Mary at WI is the only one I've heard consistent praise for lately.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard very good things about Mary but never dealt with her, not heard anything bad about Lay (Minus him being hacked a while ago which was not his fault) and I'm having excellent experiences with Angus at Pure Time. Everyone else... dunno.

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
So I ended up selling the watch in the exchange forum for a loss, and turned around and put it toward a new Omega PO orange chrono ! In all fairness, I should have contacted Mark and complained, but i dont think it would do any good. I would be out more money and would have to deal with 2-3 months of waiting to get it back (hopefully working).
This has been my experience with them.
I say, I am gonna stick to Lay or Angus or one of the top dealers that really seem to care about customer service and are always willing to send QC pics and Video.

Thats the end of my Rant,,,,I hope you take it for whats its worth......................almost nothing! lol
John

roadhog99

Known Member
1/7/10
So I ended up selling the watch in the exchange forum for a loss, and turned around and put it toward a new Omega PO orange chrono ! In all fairness, I should have contacted Mark and complained, but i dont think it would do any good. I would be out more money and would have to deal with 2-3 months of waiting to get it back (hopefully working).
This has been my experience with them.
I say, I am gonna stick to Lay or Angus or one of the top dealers that really seem to care about customer service and are always willing to send QC pics and Video.

I had a very similar experience with (I think) the same dealer a few months ago. Bought one of their RWI offer subs, which I thought was a good deal. Watch arrived totally DOA, so contacted them and sent it back, at my expense. Watch was finally sent back to me (I had to pay for EMS) supposedly fixed. It worked for about 30 seconds until I tried to set the time, then died again.

I ended up selling it to a fellow member as a fix'er up'er as I lost all patience with it.

I too wouldnt but from that dealer again. Similarly I will stick with Angus (who I've had excellent dealings with) or possibly Lay in the future.

midasmook

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/08
You are on here having a rant but you have not contacted the dealer yet and are only guessing what he will say. Contact the dealer, you may be surprised and if you do then you can tell us what he advised.
A watch not working can be had from any dealer.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
I have purchase about $4000 in reps from Timesshop. They have always worked with me when there was an issue, and there have been some issues. Twice I received a watch (one was an expensive one, one a cheapie) that quite working only hours after I put them on. In one case a screw was over tightened and the head snapped off and lodged itself in the gears. I had to purchase a special case back tool (Ferrari Panerai) to remove the case back. I could have sent it back as Mark who was willing to take care of it, but the tool was about the cost of return shipping (hey and now I have a tool) so I checked it out myself. Mark sent a replacement screw with my next order and gave me a $30 credit. More than fair. The other was a situation where the movement was loose because a retaining screw and clamp came loose and (again) amd lodged itself into the gear train. Fortuantely I had the tool so I popped open the case back, located the issue, and fixed it.

There have been a few other issues like a loose rotor (watcheden) but for the most part they are all good and work as advertised.

I understand the expectation that a watch you paid good money for should work correctly out of the box and you should not have to mess with it after paying down your hard earned cash. I also understand that the "factories" are not ISO9001. The dealers are as much of a victim to the factories as we are. I don't think they can QC a watch to the point of using a torque wrench to check every screw, so issues will slip by. It is the nature of the game. I for one factor the possibility of issues into the purchase with the expectation there will be things that I have to address. At some point you have to ask yourself what is the cheapest method to deal with an issue. For me an investment in tools and time has allowed me to to address these as they pop up. Not to mention all the fun I have modding and breaking stuff too. If I am in over my head I can send it back or off for repair. For those who dont have the skills, or time, or desire to tear into these watches, there are plenty of good people who are members here who can help, and if that isnt an option for you can always send it back the dealer, as inconvenient as that may be.

Just imagine the free-for-all it would be without trusted dealers!

I suppose dealers could offer a QC service as an option (which would come at a higher cost) for those who want it. I for one prefer to take my chances and save on the cost. The RWI deals TS has are really good deals. You pay more elsewhere and still have the same risk of something going wrong. It would be nice if the Quality Control could be improved, as there is a lot of room for improvement. But until that day arrives, there is a great community here at RWI and many members who can help address these glitches as they occur, so at least in that you are not alone.

And Just FYI (not wanting to step on any toes here)

And as for this particular LV sub, I purchased it and it arrived today. When the stem pulls out to position three it doenst quite engage fully but if you pull a little harder it clicks into position and then sets time fine. Not sure why that is but John, if you want it back, I will sell it back to you for the same price I paid for it plus shipping of about $5 USD.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
Damn noobs! Dont even know how to pull out stem! LOL! ;)

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Well, it did have a "ratchety" feel to it like it is trying to slip between position 2 and 3 until you pull it out even further.... not sure what that is about. I pulled it out about ten times trying to see if it wouldn't engage but so far so good.

Who knows. ;) Maybe it just likes me better. :D

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
Damn noobs! Dont even know how to pull out stem! LOL! ;)

I was able to set the time just fine.......The problem was that after you set it, it stayed at that time. the second hand swept just fine but the time would not advance at all.

I was having a bad day, and was excited when i got a parcel card in my mailbox. Thinking "wahoo....my Noob LV is here, That will cheer me up"

And after checking it out and winding it, I proudly put it on my wrist , and Once i noticed the time problem , thats when i snapped and had to vent.

Whats pissed me off was the fact that TS didnt even attempt to do QC or QC pics. This was not my first order with them and have spent between $1000-1500 with them and now after paying $30 shipping to me, now I would have to pay $30 to ship it back. Now If I was to maybe get a credit on my next order for the extra shipping I had to pay to return the Broken watch they sent me, I might be happier. But I have never been offered anything. All i get was, "sorry , send back you pay shipping, we fix"

I had an omega show up last year from them that was basically dead on arrival and the 12 oclock batons looked like they were glued on by a blind monkey and the response i got when i sent him pics and video of the non working watch was......Used watch, no exchange only.! all i did was take the plastic off and took pics but yet he would not exchange it. I had to send it back AT MY EXPENSE! After waiting nearly 3 months to get it back, it shows up with the movement fixed but the same old crooked markers............I sold it at a loss also.

All am I asking for is a little old fashioned "CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Is that too much to ask for??

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Sorry John, misunderstood the problem, it was keeping time earlier but I reset the time to check it tonight and tomorrow. Will see how it does.

I dont think that is too much to ask for at all. My only point was given the nature of the beast I like to hope for the best and plan for the worst. TS will send pictures, I had them do that for the last 9 I purchased... wouldnt likely have caught the problem you had though.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Customer service is not a Chinese thing it would seem.
You should have seen the waitress at an up-scale Chinese restaurant arguing with us last night over a side of steamed rice.
Her: "You have old menu. New menu not have".
Me: "But you GAVE me the menu! I didn't bring it with me from home".
And this was not a cheap place. $20-25 per person without alcohol.
So I agreed to pay $2 for the rice, then took it out of her tip.

Too bad you don't tip TS. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
Customer service is not a Chinese thing it would seem.
You should have seen the waitress at an up-scale Chinese restaurant arguing with us last night over a side of steamed rice.
Her: "You have old menu. New menu not have".
Me: "But you GAVE me the menu! I didn't bring it with me from home".
And this was not a cheap place. $20-25 per person without alcohol.
So I agreed to pay $2 for the rice, then took it out of her tip.

Too bad you don't tip TS. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know exacty what you are talking about.!....
At a Chinese restaurant one nite , a buddy of mine ordered pork fried rice, and it looked like plain rice with veggies and soy . He questioned the waitress, who went and got the chef.
He came out and said " what d probrem", my friend said ...Um,,,I ordered pork fried rice and I dont see any pork"
The chef pointed angrily and said.....
Dare da pork, dare da pork, dare da pork.......you wan more pork!.....................order pork chop!!!

I just about pissed my self laughing !