• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

This Trusted dealer really burns my but!!

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
I just need to vent for a second.
I just recieved a Noob LV with a 2836 in the mail today that I ordered A week ago, and I never got shown QC pics before it shipped, So I thought"Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine". Unwrapped it, satisfied except for the somewhat crappy pearl, I can fix that. Wind it and set the date&time., Second hand sweeps super smooth.................BUT THE TIME WONT ADVANCE AT ALL!!!.....crap. Not happy! WTF are these dealers thinking, Cant they check this shit before shipping,!

The part that burns my azz the most is that as soon as I contact the dealer, he will just say Send it back for repair (AT MY EXPENSE! ). Shipping from Canada to china will cost me almost $30. WTF, why am I paying to send this back.

Why the heck should i have to pay to send back a watch that should have been checked in the first place! I have had this happen with this dealer before . I have ordered 6 watches in 2 diff orders and had to send off 2 of them for repairs, which took months to get back, and he forgot to fix 1 of the 2 issues on one watch.

Its just frustrating when you check the mailbox everyday, and when you finally get it, instead of it being like christmas morning......It's like someone just kicked my puppy :-(

I almost just want to dump it on the exchange forum for a loss as a fix-r-up'r
, instead of dealing with the 2-3 month ordeal to get my watch fixed from this so called "TRUSTED DEALER"(name not given)

Thats my rant, Maybe I am out of line, maybe not.

I guess I will have to stick to BK and Lay from now on, as those 2 guys are the best in my books.

Frustrated
John442

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Even if a dealer does do a timekeeping check before it ships, there's no guarantee that it will arrive in perfect working order. Unfortunately just one of the risks of the hobby mate. You can be lucky, or unlucky. I would agree with BMW, if its something you plan on keeping or modding send it to katt for sorting.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
I'm pretty sure who that dealer is but I'll keep it to myself. What you had to go through is ******* ridiculous!!! And you do know he's gonna make you pay for shipping back as well, right? That'll be another $30 so $60 in total. If you buy a new movement, send it to Katt or G or whoever is in CONUS for a swap, it will cost you less than $60 and you'll have your watch in a week or two. I'd do that if I were you and forget about this dealer. And maybe reveal his name so people can stay away from him

robbie888

Known Member
7/11/10
Even if a dealer does do a timekeeping check before it ships, there's no guarantee that it will arrive in perfect working order. Unfortunately just one of the risks of the hobby mate. You can be lucky, or unlucky. I would agree with BMW, if its something you plan on keeping or modding send it to katt for sorting.

+1
Not every trusted dealer has the same level of service. Some dealers will always sent you his own QC pictures before shipping (F.e. Lay, Mary), others not or only on request. So pick an dealer that will suit you best. But there is always the risk of damaging during transport, but a good dealer will sort that out for you, even the point of the shipping costs. The waiting time will be the same though. If you don't want to wait, take your loss and go to a local watch-smith, pay $50 and have you baby back in your arms in a week or 2.
GLWS

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
What dealer was that? Trevor? Watcheden?

Just buy from Mary and you'll be fine.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
And you do know he's gonna make you pay for shipping back as well, right?
Um no they will not! If they try that on let me know please. The expectation is you pay there, they pay return.

Col

fleadepot

24/7/10
Hampshire
Really sorry to hear that. I got this sort of experience in the past. I know how annoying this can be. As other fellows have said you'll be better of sending it to a trusted watchsmith then back to the dealer. Even better if there is a local one who's rep friendly.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
When I first started buying reps I thought how nice it was to get any kind of warranty. And shipping one way seemed very fair. I've sent a few back and didn't get all hostile about it.

Now everyone thinks that we're buying from Sears or Walmart.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
That's crap..You shouln't order again in the first place...

aratron

8/2/11
I totally agree with what everyone says... the defective rate is too high and there really are no recourse for the dealer for doing a poor QC job.

However, I can also see where the dealers are coming from. They are really just middle man, picking up a few pieces from distributors and shipping it to us. Oversight is always a possibility.

I think with many dealers, trusted or not, once they have our money in their account ... there are simply no incentive for them to do a great job. Only if they screw up badly, will a dealer get on probation here on RWI. So all the mediocre service either fly under the radar or result with not much repercussion ... there should be some more oversight in my opinion.

BTW, even Lay and Mary can make mistakes... I got a problematic watch from Lay in my last order. But he took the initiative to take care of it.

revhrd

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/2/11
sorry, it's still with the mods. but if this goes unresolved; i will tell all.

Is this a case of customs? or will that reveal too much?

I don't think that ANY of us expect sears/wal-mart service, but to be fair is the other side of the coin (td pov):Well they know this game is risky i.e. customs and the obvious rep taboo... So what if we just send whatever, they just have to accept it. It's part of the "game" After all, they are x,xxx kms/miles away. If that was the case then why does Lay go the extra mile? BK as mentioned also does the same, and he is based in the US. I'm sure there is times when even he gets shafted but does not make his customers pay for it. So pick you poison, I mean TD carefully and hope for the best.

howudoinralph

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/11
Tell us his name please!

I just need to vent for a second.
I just recieved a Noob LV with a 2836 in the mail today that I ordered A week ago, and I never got shown QC pics before it shipped, So I thought"Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine". Unwrapped it, satisfied except for the somewhat crappy pearl, I can fix that. Wind it and set the date&time., Second hand sweeps super smooth.................BUT THE TIME WONT ADVANCE AT ALL!!!.....crap. Not happy! WTF are these dealers thinking, Cant they check this shit before shipping,!

The part that burns my azz the most is that as soon as I contact the dealer, he will just say Send it back for repair (AT MY EXPENSE! ). Shipping from Canada to china will cost me almost $30. WTF, why am I paying to send this back.

Why the heck should i have to pay to send back a watch that should have been checked in the first place! I have had this happen with this dealer before . I have ordered 6 watches in 2 diff orders and had to send off 2 of them for repairs, which took months to get back, and he forgot to fix 1 of the 2 issues on one watch.

Its just frustrating when you check the mailbox everyday, and when you finally get it, instead of it being like christmas morning......It's like someone just kicked my puppy :-(

I almost just want to dump it on the exchange forum for a loss as a fix-r-up'r
, instead of dealing with the 2-3 month ordeal to get my watch fixed from this so called "TRUSTED DEALER"(name not given)

Thats my rant, Maybe I am out of line, maybe not.

I guess I will have to stick to BK and Lay from now on, as those 2 guys are the best in my books.

Frustrated
John442

DUDE,
If he screwed you, Drop us his name!!!! We need to know!

HPoirot

31/3/11
I've had a couple of bad experiences with a dealer.

I bought an 21J, QC'ed and everything, but when it arrived it was a ******* quartz! Even had the ******* gall to offer me a 10$ discount for future purchases if i kept it. No way was i gonna accept that and i don't think a watch smith can fix that for me, so i paid to have it sent back.

Few weeks in, dealer tells me they've received my watch, but the original watch i wanted was no longer in production! Probably why they sent a quartz in the first place. Since the only other thing i wanted was a leather and deployant clasp for a watch i had purchased from them previously, i order that and got the rest refunded to me.

Before they sent out my watch, i checked and double checked with them to make sure they were sending me a deployant instead of a buckle. But, big surprise, when the package arrived it was a buckle. Once again, they offered a 10$ credit to future purchases. So back it went, and i had to pay shipping too, and after all this, i'm out 2X shipping fees and no watch.

And here's the ultimate kicker: They PP'ed me my refund, and let me bear the fees. Even gave me some song and dance about exchange rates and some nonsense.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
Is this a case of customs? or will that reveal too much?

I don't think that ANY of us expect sears/wal-mart service, but to be fair is the other side of the coin (td pov):Well they know this game is risky i.e. customs and the obvious rep taboo... So what if we just send whatever, they just have to accept it. It's part of the "game" After all, they are x,xxx kms/miles away. If that was the case then why does Lay go the extra mile? BK as mentioned also does the same, and he is based in the US. I'm sure there is times when even he gets shafted but does not make his customers pay for it. So pick you poison, I mean TD carefully and hope for the best.

i'm not trying to be rude. but i will not say anything for now. past what i have said (they have my money and i have nothing). i am giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt and a bit more time. i have many watches so it's not like my wrist is naked ;)

but i will say that patience and understanding is needed when dealing with people. i don't think any dealer here is out to screw people. but things happen. when they do they need to be fixed. blame and anger will get you nothing.

everyone falls down, winners get back up...(corny i know, but true)

thisismynick

27/12/10
(...)but i will say that patience and understanding is needed when dealing with people (...) things happen. when they do they need to be fixed. blame and anger will get you nothing.

+1

[TBH, rarely but once in a while the "soft way" doesn't do the trick, sometimes you really cannot help taking it to the next level, drawing your light saber and mowing 'em down...] :D

(...)everyone falls down, winners get back up...(corny i know, but true)

+1

Very much true so everywhere, outside of the rep game!