• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Listening to your watch

Drpam

Horology Curious
16/11/14
Hi guys, do you guys like to listen to your watch movements? Maybe I'm weird but i do like to listen to the click, click, click noise the mechanical movements make. I recently received my noob explorer ii v2 a2836 and I was listening to it closely. Besides the usual clean click, click, click noise I also hear a slight humming noise. Listening closer it sounds like someone hitting a bell - dong, dong, dong. It does get louder sometimes and sometime I can't hear it. I don't know if it's depending on where the second hand is or if certain angles the watch is at can make it worse. Is this usual for the Asian 2836, this is my first movement of this type. The watch does keep excellent time though. Listening to my A6497 and a cheap fossil automatic I think I can hear a little bit but not as loud. My gen omega I cannot hear much at all

PaulyWalnuts

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/11/13
USA
I definitely have before as well, my PAM rep is really loud at some angles! Mostly I just hear the rotor turning on my Submariners. I was wondering what the running sound of a Gen Submariner is like, if you can even hear it at all, anyone care to chime-in? :p4gtr:

D

d4m.test

The only one I can really hear in a silent room is the IWC Fa. Jones with a handwound 6497 movement (same as some PAMs).
As for holding it directly to Your ear on the Asian ETAs You have the high beat click clivk clickety click which twice a minute turns into a kind of dong, dong, dong that´s about right:)

PaulyWalnuts

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/11/13
USA
Yup, I'm pretty sure you IWC has the same movement as my PAM 176 and it can be a bit noisy!
I've handled many a gen Rolex but never thought to listen to one... Now I'm curious

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
I love the sound of a good movement. I hate hearing the rotor spin on cheapies though.

Drpam

Horology Curious
16/11/14
Glad to hear that humming sound is normal. My wife catches me holding two watches to my ear, one on each side and she thinks I'm nuts. Wonder what the AD would think if I bring a stethoscope to listen to one of their watches! Haha!

sgv

Renowned Member
1/4/06
I will sometimes listen to my gen Rolex. Most of the time it's when I wake up, and I'm laying on my wrist. There is the sound of the movement clicking away, but there is also a supplemental ping on each fast click of the movement. The ping rings almost at B natural, two octaves above middle C. I only hear this secondary ping if I have the case directly on my ear. The rotar is completely silent, even if I shake the watch right next to my ear.

I just received a PAM 388 V2, and the supplemental tone to the movement clicks is between Ab and A natural three octaves above middle C. Compared to my Rolex, the rotor in the PAM is as loud as a rotor on a helicopter.

Is there anything that can be done to lube the rotor to eliminate the noise?