• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

One VERY different Seiko

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Donald Trump Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

Reactions: MichaelNunz

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
I like that the oscillating hand behaves like a real metronome, i.e. swings wider at slow speeds and narrower at fast ones. Really cool!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Any musicians here care to explain what that other mode is with the pitch and note?
It's for tuning, it's a set note to tune from. Once you have one string in tune the others can be tuned from it.

pettyp

Horology Curious
28/8/22
Seiko makes so many different watches, they are just like “yeah fuck it let’s try that”

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Any musicians here care to explain what that other mode is with the pitch and note?
A musician here.

"Note" function: this gives you the choice of hearing an "A" pitch (used by orchestras because violins and other string instruments have a string tuned to A) or a "Bb" (B-flat) pitch (used by bands because trumpets, trombones, and other brass instruments are based on that pitch). As trailboss said, in the case of string instruments, once the A string is in tune, the other strings can be easily be brought into tune by comparing them to the A. For brass instruments, the instrument is tuned to Bb, and then everything will be pretty close, although adjustments are needed for various notes. Woodwinds, such as flutes and clarinets, can tune the instrument to either note but again adjustments will be necessary for some notes.

"Pitch" function: You probably know that musical notes can be mathematically expressed by the frequency of the vibration, measured in Hertz. On a piano, the note "A" above middle C (the orchestra tuning note) generally is tuned to the frequency 440Hz. However, other tunings are sometimes used - so this watch gives you the choice of the standard tuning of 440Hz, or the slightly higher pitches 442Hz or 443Hz.

Hope that helps!

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
On the hunt for one now, especially with that beep mode. What a unique piece!!!

Reactions: trailboss99

OI812

17/3/06
That is cool....👍 I'm sitting here trying you figure out how I could use it....justify the purchase....hehehe

soulysax

Next watch is the last one I swear
Certified
14/9/23
CONUS
Very cool. Phone apps are doing much more but hey that's not a watch even if it has a clock.

Reactions: trailboss99