• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How can i reposition date magnifier

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
i just got my GMT BLNR from WBK and its PERFECT! only problem is the date magnifier needs to be repositioned....can I do this myself? how can it be done, what do i need?

now if i wanna take it one step further and replace it with a gen crystal.....how difficult is that? would I need to remove the movement and such?

thanks guys

la Fantasma

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/4/14
That's how I do it but I take the Crystal off. You don't want to melt the gasket. Then it's just a giant mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Some sort of magic

Hype

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/14
i just got my GMT BLNR from WBK and its PERFECT! only problem is the date magnifier needs to be repositioned....can I do this myself? how can it be done, what do i need?

now if i wanna take it one step further and replace it with a gen crystal.....how difficult is that? would I need to remove the movement and such?

thanks guys

Pop the crystal out and reposition the crystal such that the magnifier is straight/centered. However, it requires you to remove the movement of the watch. If you are not a diy sort of person, I would suggest you to get to your local watch smith to help you with this. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dehilee

Horology Curious
4/3/15
When I get my v5 sub-c, I plan on going to the watch shop to take some links out, but how much would it cost to get the date mag repositioned, and waterproof it(tell them to put some silicon grease on the gaskets and etc)?

I noticed that the date mag in my QC pics are not perfectly centered, so I need to get it repositioned and I want it waterproofed because I wanna be able to take it to a pool, not a really deep one, but I think 160ft is enough to any pool and I fear leaking when I wash my hands.

Let me know your thoughts

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
Pop the crystal out and reposition the crystal such that the magnifier is straight/centered. However, it requires you to remove the movement of the watch. If you are not a diy sort of person, I would suggest you to get to your local watch smith to help you with this. [emoji4]

yeah im not the best with DIY's.........but that video posted above just makes it seem so easy!! just heat it for 5 seconds and BOOM its off!

Hype

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/14
yeah im not the best with DIY's.........but that video posted above just makes it seem so easy!! just heat it for 5 seconds and BOOM its off!

It wouldn't be the best solution because there might be AR coating on your crystal. If you plan to heat it off and replace it, there will be a part of your crystal being not ARed.

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
I've done this to several watches with no problem. On mine it took a lot longer to heat than a few seconds. I used a cooking blow torch which was good because the heat was concentrated. I think finding a rep friendly watch repair shop would be the best bet. How bad is the misalignment?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
I've done this to several watches with no problem. On mine it took a lot longer to heat than a few seconds. I used a cooking blow torch which was good because the heat was concentrated. I think finding a rep friendly watch repair shop would be the best bet. How bad is the misalignment?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

its not super bad, a few millimeters. the funny part is i tried taking a picture of it now and in the picture it comes out PERFECT, but when i look at it in person its not.

I am going to use the torch and hit it from the left side furthest away from the gasket, what kind of glue should i use to reattach?

Bigjule111

Renowned Member
1/3/11
Nj
I tried it once and it came off really easy. U have to get the correct glue. I picked mine up at a local jeweler shop that sells all types of tools for jewelers. Probably can check on the net. I believe if my mind serves me correct. It's a clear uv glue that u need