• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega WTF?!

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
I get your point of view…. You want to get your nephews one and they’ll feel like they’re a part of uncles hobby. And their generation will appreciate watches. Which is, at its heart, a good thing.

Now let me you ask this, what happens when you spend $6k on a Speed Master and someone sees it and says “oh cool, you have one too?” And holds up their MoonSwatch? Are you going to feel like your watch reflects the value of your investment? Or will you feel like you spent $6k to belong with a group of high school teens sporting an earlier similar watch.

My opinion is, this marketing move to prop up revenue for a publicly traded giant, while reaching a broader audience, will inevitably diminish Omega’s brand equity in the aspirational/luxury watch space. Because no… these kids (or anyone) will not want to spend $6k on a watch that looks exactly like their $260 watch unless it’s because they are buying a replica because they believe the Gen is NWBIG.

This was not the Seamaster, this is not a limited run or dabble with an 007 dial. This is taking their most iconic model (come on, this isn’t just my opinion here) and it’s watering it down.

At least take out the grey ceramic black dial and just make the other color ways as a bit of fun. To make the model I showed earlier makes it indistinguishable between its luxury and novelty models.

This is my opinion.. it doesn’t make me an idiot. So while I understand and even appreciate your opinion, I don’t understand why you were such an ass to begin with instead of just stating this opinion from the get go. Your opening remarks sounded like you took my opinion deeply personal and felt the need to attack me in the most juvenile way, only later doubling down on this. Which made you “that guy”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
The wife loves it, she’s a Swatch fan.
I said I buy you a Gen moonwatch instead and replied, if your gonna buy me a luxury timepiece get me the Ronde Solo.
now I have to buy a Moonswatch and a Cartier.
I better keep my mouth shut.

BTW I agree with OP, this definitely is a bad move for Omega.

Reactions: WolfKissed

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Think it’s the new color dials… Some people don’t like them (I know they’re not for me for sure). But my point was Omega pulling the same move right after Rolex I re: to color dials. They’re different I know.. but at cursory glance they sure done feel that way

Ya I hear you, they’re definitely bold like those op’s but at least they’re cheap. I wouldn’t pay thousands for one but I just think they’re neat for the price point. Probably go with one that isn’t super loud indignity her chance.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
It’s a cash grab for sure from a desperate parent company.

This is a swatch watch and all they have done is slap an Omega logo on it…marketing at its best and worst as they will sell a tone at the lower price but dilutes the model for sure.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
The only people buying are resellers trying to profit, let’s hope they drop online as expected and they are stuck holding them.

pjfry

Horology Curious
11/8/16
this move by Omega upset watch enthusiasts who paid $12k for a speedy that looks quite like the $260 version
It also keeps better time than speedy. That tells you how realistic is $12k for a speedy (or any other luxury watch). Which is exactly the reason I am going to buy this Swatch!

BTW, do not get upset, no one cares what you wear, let alone notices. Most people have never heard for speedy.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I kinda like the mission to moon moonswatch. Might pick up one once they become more broadly available. I am not paying over MSRP for one though, and I won't loose sleep if I don't get one.

Reactions: leo6929

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It’s a cash grab for sure from a desperate parent company.
They made nearly a billon dollars profit in 2021. I'd love to be that desperate.

The only people buying are resellers trying to profit, let’s hope they drop online as expected and they are stuck holding them.
I think a lot of people are buying them because they like them. But both of us are speculating of course - about as wildly as the folk in your scenario. :)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
i do like the alaska project one

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
They made nearly a billon dollars profit in 2021. I'd love to be that desperate.

I think a lot of people are buying them because they like them. But both of us are speculating of course - about as wildly as the folk in your scenario. :)

Yeah but I’m sure this project started in 2020 which is when their share price had been dropping precipitously and their EPS was taking a shit (sales down 32%). So they definitely needed a steroid injection in top line growth to gain faith from investors. Was probably also planned before everyone saw the crazy COVID economy where money started getting thrown at everything from watches to NFT’s.

So while they have been solidly profitable company as a % of revenue, their outstanding shares were diluted and sales were dropping which investors didn’t like.

I will amend my original statements on this move slightly… it is a great marketing move to bump revenues no doubt. I will even subscribe to the point that it may bring a new generation of watch enthusiasts to the table (might)… but I maintain that it diminishes Omega in the luxury/aspiration watch space. Time will tell…

Curious to see if the hype lasts or if it fizzled fast

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Here's something from Reddit on the post release let downs that have begun.

IMG-20220327-WA0004b311a4745d06464d.jpg

What do people expect.....it's plastic, not built to speedmaster standards. SMH.

Perhaps a future colab..

Blankswatch? Fifty fathoswatches?

IMG-20220327-WA000281faaf7260155cf7.jpg

(Created by a friend, not my digital handiwork)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecender

Troklo

23/12/15
I like them and will get one as soon as they become widely available. I personally think it doesn't devalue the original speedmaster, some of the people getting these will want to get the real thing once they can afford it. Also I think it is awesome that they are bring their most iconic watch to the masses, finally a breath of fresh air in a room full of snobs smelling their own farts.
Regarding what I would say if I have a Speedmaster and someone pulls up their MoonSwatch, I wouldn't care, I buy watches for myself and myself only not to impress anyone. I would take the opportunity to explain (in case the person doesn't know) why the Speedmaster is such an iconic piece and how cool it is we both have one.

Last edited: