• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega WTF?!

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Let me say I have been an Omega fan for years….
But lately it feels like Kathleen Kennedy got tired of killing the Star Wars franchise and went over to Omega to kill their iconic franchise too.

First the me too dials copying Rolex…

Now this swatch collab selling out their most iconic watch?!

Am I the only one banging my head on the table? Does anyone else here think they are making genius marketing moves? If so please enlighten me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I despise the look of the new watches- it physically pains me to look at them. I’m pretty sick of Rolex designs to begin with, but they’ve taken a beautiful design and butchered it. Give me the ti PO 600m any day.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Oh no! Omega is gonna be so sad you don't like it.
They will definitely stop the collection because of you, the guy who never bought an omega in his life and never will.

Reactions: YellowFin

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
It’s not a speed master, and it won’t be the quality of an omega, it’s just a novelty. At $260 I would def buy one if there were a participating boutique in my area. Not sure what the Rolex bashing is about earlier in this thread but I own a new one and it’s the finest piece I’ve ever owned, including the new planet ocean I sold to get it.

Reactions: johloo

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well I think they look quite funky. If I could overcome my fear of the outside world I'd pop up to London and buy a couple.

And I had to laugh at the idea that Omega is somehow selling out in this Swatch collab. That'll be the company that plasters 007 logos all over its watches. And Snoopy. And does a Seamaster that celebrates a golf tournament. I could go on...

Reactions: Feefo and Rx4Time

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Well I think they look quite funky. If I could overcome my fear of the outside world I'd pop up to London and buy a couple.

And I had to laugh at the idea that Omega is somehow selling out in this Swatch collab. That'll be the company that plasters 007 logos all over its watches. And Snoopy. And does a Seamaster that celebrates a golf tournament. I could go on...

I hear you on the other watches.. but the speed master…. It’s most iconic watch and it’s last leg to stand on… going plastic?

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
They will definitely stop the collection because of you, the guy who never bought an omega in his life and never will.

Ahhh there’s always THAT GUY in a forum… congrats.. you’re him.

Reactions: Vineetd23

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
It’s not a speed master, and it won’t be the quality of an omega, it’s just a novelty. At $260 I would def buy one if there were a participating boutique in my area. Not sure what the Rolex bashing is about earlier in this thread but I own a new one and it’s the finest piece I’ve ever owned, including the new planet ocean I sold to get it.

Think it’s the new color dials… Some people don’t like them (I know they’re not for me for sure). But my point was Omega pulling the same move right after Rolex I re: to color dials. They’re different I know.. but at cursory glance they sure done feel that way

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California

Follow up, sir.. because I follow your posts and I respect your opinion. Do you think they’re making a good marketing move with this years line up? Or, are these moves more or less detrimental to the brand?

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
I think what they are doing is smart. Because so many people are going away from mechanical watches do to prices going way up. The $260 Omega Swatch is a great idea to get people into watches. And one way is to get a iconic watch so everyone can have a taste. Yes its not the Original Automatic but still great start. Too many people dont wear a watch or just have a smart one. They are trying to get a younger croud. Which isnt bad. Just see how they got the watch introduced in Adam Project on Netflix all 3 of them, and now they release this. Think how many kids will see that movie and will want that watch and adults too. But spending $6k plus on a watch is out of most peoples hands. So this is a great way to get the younger kids to love watches again. And adults too. Im just stuck between getting Omega Swatch or Bulova Luna Pilot. Always wanted the look but for some reason didnt want to get a rep version, im not a fan of chronograph rep movements.

Reactions: Feefo

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Ahhh there’s always THAT GUY in a forum… congrats.. you’re him.

The idiot who criticizes a company he has nothing to do with, for a product he will never buy, concerned about another product he will never own?

Yeah.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Follow up, sir.. because I follow your posts and I respect your opinion.
Haha thanks buddy it's very nice of you to say so - but honestly I'd be the last one to respect my own opinion, so please don't take too much notice of me! :)

Do you think they’re making a good marketing move with this years line up? Or, are these moves more or less detrimental to the brand?
It's what Omega does, so it's par for the course. And it means a route to another market, without necessarily harming the main brand by seeming to go downmarket. Swatch has always been a really strong design brand, and so to me this mashup works.

On the other hand, the way the Swatch group has become something of a monopoly in the market has tainted that brand - so if I stopped to think about it I should really refuse to give them my money as a point of principle. But then if I seriously thought that way, I wouldn't buy fake watches...

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA

That's probaby the most valuable post on this forum. Why did you bother posting that? You have no idea about people's financial situations. Sounds like what you're describing is yourself.

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
The idiot who criticizes a company he has nothing to do with, for a product he will never buy, concerned about another product he will never own?

Yeah.

Oh? You know where I work and what I have in my watch collection? I didn’t know we had such psychics on this forum. Awesome! Do tell us then please, will this move by Omega upset watch enthusiasts who paid $12k for a speedy that looks quite like the $260 version, diminishing the brand as an aspirational one OR will it’s appeal to lower income earners be so large it will drive those who eventually reach high income or savings to buy their legacy models in the $12k + range?

Please share your opinion on the watches for us instead of your opinion on my opinion
Here’s your visual of the $12k vs $260
3246e092d2cc1d01ab749d2b896bbc78.jpg

Reactions: rolex4me

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Haha thanks buddy it's very nice of you to say so - but honestly I'd be the last one to respect my own opinion, so please don't take too much notice of me! :)

It's what Omega does, so it's par for the course. And it means a route to another market, without necessarily harming the main brand by seeming to go downmarket. Swatch has always been a really strong design brand, and so to me this mashup works.

On the other hand, the way the Swatch group has become something of a monopoly in the market has tainted that brand - so if I stopped to think about it I should really refuse to give them my money as a point of principle. But then if I seriously thought that way, I wouldn't buy fake watches...

I watched a lengthy video last night and I think I can reach a turning point if they remove one particular model from the line up… it’s just too close to a legacy speedy that makes anyone who paid $12k for theirs feel good about a Las wearing almost the same looking watch for $260. The rest I can appreciate as a bit of fun and a way to get the next Gen into watches all together.

It’s not lost on me than I say this as Rep collector but I also own Gens and I feel the model below takes something away from that still. This is the one I saw that made me initially gripe about this move.

7975a0c674448bcaffea6c8a23a22e5b.jpg

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
I think what they are doing is smart. Because so many people are going away from mechanical watches do to prices going way up. The $260 Omega Swatch is a great idea to get people into watches. And one way is to get a iconic watch so everyone can have a taste. Yes its not the Original Automatic but still great start. Too many people dont wear a watch or just have a smart one. They are trying to get a younger croud. Which isnt bad. Just see how they got the watch introduced in Adam Project on Netflix all 3 of them, and now they release this. Think how many kids will see that movie and will want that watch and adults too. But spending $6k plus on a watch is out of most peoples hands. So this is a great way to get the younger kids to love watches again. And adults too. Im just stuck between getting Omega Swatch or Bulova Luna Pilot. Always wanted the look but for some reason didnt want to get a rep version, im not a fan of chronograph rep movements.

I totally hear and appreciate this point and it’s one I didn’t think about when I first saw the news.. I also didn’t see the many many color ways they’re doing but only saw the grey and black that looks so so close to the Speedy.

While I hop this move does get younger generation into watches, I think may still egregiously “water down” Omega as an aspirational brand. When someone makes enough to buy a luxury watch.. Omega will no longer be in that category. They will look at their MoonSwatch and say “why pay several thousand for this? I have it! I’m saving for that Rolex”

I also think it takes away from the moon watch legacy which was so special. That’s just me I guess…

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
That's probaby the most valuable post on this forum. Why did you bother posting that? You have no idea about people's financial situations. Sounds like what you're describing is yourself.

Because it's ridiculous to bash a company that is owned by another company doing collabs under each other to attract a different audience.

Lego and adidas did it too, you don't put blocks on your shoes, others love the idea. And it attracts a different audience, kids now only want Adidas.

U ok hun?

Yeah booboo, how about you :)

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Oh? You know where I work and what I have in my watch collection? I didn’t know we had such psychics on this forum. Awesome! Do tell us then please, will this move by Omega upset watch enthusiasts who paid $12k for a speedy that looks quite like the $260 version, diminishing the brand as an aspirational one OR will it’s appeal to lower income earners be so large it will drive those who eventually reach high income or savings to buy their legacy models in the $12k + range?

Please share your opinion on the watches for us instead of your opinion on my opinion
Here’s your visual of the $12k vs $260
3246e092d2cc1d01ab749d2b896bbc78.jpg

You sound hurt.
It will attract a new audience. Kids who are growing up with an Omega Swatch on their wrist that get attached to the company and will later on in life buy omega instead of Rolex or audemars.

It also does not whatsoever diminish the craftsmanship of the original, and it will not lose any value whatsoever.