• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not great experience

dinabashirian

Horology Curious
10/9/22
I'm relatively new to cigars, smoking regular for just about a year and a half, got my humidor up around 9 months ago.
Tonight had a not entirely enjoyable smoke and had a few questions. The cigar, which I've had many of this example, had a much darker ash than I had seen before and a somewhat bitter taste. Not unsmokable but not pleasant. The ash was also less than firm, falling easily after just over 3/4 inch. It had been in the humidor for two months (not an unusual length for me) and the humidor has always been stable right around 65%. I'm wondering if this sounds like a storage/condition problem or can I just write it off as a bad example. Like I said, I've had quite a few of these, bought from the same local store and it's a well known, good quality brand. Thanks in advance.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Different batch? There are many variables in leaf and it also begs the question, how much do you trust your supplier? Hopefully, it's not a fake.

Reactions: johnlogan

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
It sounds like your cigar was on the brink of moldy.
It happens sometimes.

They taste very bitter then and it isn't a good idea to keep smoking it.

Just grab a new one.

Easy way to tell is if it'sgot some very light white spots, you then run ya fingers along the cigar in a rubbing motion, you also feel if there is anything wrong, like feeling very soft then you got ya mold.

Happened to the best of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmegaSpeedy

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Imho it’s a quality issue. Your stick might have been a replica or party of a bad batch.
It’s not storage or less your humidor is bone dry.

bruisedknux

6/4/11
It sounds like your cigar was on the brink of moldy.
It happens sometimes.

They taste very bitter then and it isn't a good idea to keep smoking it.

Just grab a new one.

Easy way to tell is if it'sgot some very light white spots, you then run ya fingers along the cigar in a rubbing motion, you also feel if there is anything wrong, like feeling very soft then you got ya mold.

Happened to the best of us.
Don't confuse mold with plume.