• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[noob]Ti vs SS reps

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Why are Ti reps more expensive than the SS counterparts? I think it's more than just demand and supply thing. What do you guys think?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
Why are Ti reps more expensive than the SS counterparts? I think it's more than just demand and supply thing. What do you guys think?
Ti costs more to work, although this is hoped to be reduced with the FFC Cambridge Process. Titanium burns at higher temperatures, which means some techniques are right out.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
How about the cost of raw materials? I heard the cost of Ti is not that expensive... IMHO it's not pure Ti... It should be Ti with something else. Am I right?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
How about the cost of raw materials? I heard the cost of Ti is not that expensive... IMHO it's not pure Ti... It should be Ti with something else. Am I right?
Titanium alloy, yes, and usually Titanium/Copper alloy. But once you get the raw materials, you need to make them into something, and that's where the cost is. Working with Ti is not as easy as with stainless steel.

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
@takashi

Comeing from a background of manufactureing engineering , I can tell you that machineing TI is NOT a piece of cake! This accounts for some of it . Prestiege the rest? I , myself would far rather have TI on an approiate model , and even better , i would love tantalum ! :) But in both cases , it has to be approiate to the model of the watch , in other words avail on that model as a GEN:) regards, THOR

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I see... So the bulk of the cost will come to processing the raw material. Anyway, the Tantalum rep is not made of real Tantalum... It'll be still Titanium :p

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
Why are Ti reps more expensive than the SS counterparts?
If IWC sell the Steel and Titanium versions of the Aquatimer for 4,180.00 €, then this is not the same as a rep manufacturer's pricing. Materials are a very low part of the cost of a four-thousand euro watch. Metal price fluctuations and case manufacturing costs can be absorbed really easily at this pricing.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Re: @takashi

THOR509 said:
I can tell you that machineing TI is NOT a piece of cake! This accounts for some of it . Prestiege the rest?
Volume of sales?

Setting up a machine room for 10000 items as opposed to 100 costs the same, but the cost-per-item will be higher.

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
@takashi

IF you polish out SS, TI, and Tantalum they will all have a different sheen and slightly different color!
Highly polished TI looks so fab , it looks like its still molten ! Nothing really like it! :)
Regards THOR :)

barst

Do not accept unsolicited offers
1/4/06
Re: @takashi

THOR509 said:
IF you polish out SS, TI, and Tantalum they will all have a different sheen and slightly different color!
Highly polished TI looks so fab , it looks like its still molten ! Nothing really like it! :)
Regards THOR :)

Would this be the case for a Ti rep as well?

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
@takashi

yes, if HIGHLY , mirror polished:) the surface actually looks like you can see into the metal . very striking . Regards Thor

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
BTW, "Tantalium" is not a metal, just a Panerai ad writers version of
tantaum...

: )

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
Klink is right on, only it believe it is Tantalum. There would be some increase in cost for the material (I think tantalum is over $100 and ounce) but I have no idea how difficult it would be to machine. I would think it would be tough, it has a melting point exceeded only by tungsten and rhenium. In my small brain that makes it more difficult. :lol:

But who really cares, every time I pick up my Tant rep it is as light as titanium, damn it! It would be great to see a real tant case but really, how many people would buy it. I think there were only 300 gens produced so almost nobody has ever seen one, including AD's. They are likely locked away in a few high-end collector's safes.

Cheers!

barst

Do not accept unsolicited offers
1/4/06
Anybody know where you can buy a replacement Ti case?