• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob agonizing over which pam!

Justin123

Known Member
2/8/22
Ok experts, how much does one let go of preconceived preferences in order to reach for a super clone?

Here's the thing, i like PAM 914 or 915 because they have yellow/patina lume rather than the white/green looking lume. And they are simple without too many complications. ie. sorta classic Panerai looking. I also like sandwich dials and stainless-steel cushion case on 44mm.

But...... if I let go of the yellow lume thing, I can get a super clone! like

to go with preference or to grow into a super clone?

donkacper

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU
Is that VSF actually available?

Justin123

Known Member
2/8/22
I highly doubt the PAM351 VSF is available, but if so it would be my favorite. If you choose from HWF, then I would choose PAM914 due to solid caseback.
About to do just that. But why is a solid case back preferable?

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
About to do just that. But why is a solid case back preferable?
Boss has already answered briefly above, I will just give a little clarification:

From the front, PAM915 and PAM914 HWF are generally equal, both with advantages and disadvantages (first of all, the sandwich has unnecessarily wide cutouts in both cases).
The releases did not take place at the same time, and I admit differences in the shade of lume and fonts, but even without a parallel comparison, I am sure that they differ from each other no more clearly than any differs from gen (there are always differences in shades from gen, in the case of patinated lume and beige fonts, in fact, on any model).

The cases are most likely generic and of course they don't meet the specifications of the P.5000 cases because PANERAI made them thinner and in a slightly different geometry, while HWF uses one case for the bettarini models, be it OP.I/ II/X/XI or P.5000 or P.6000 (Although for gen, the models of which this factory repeats, these are at least 4 different types of cases, not to mention the specification of specific models).
Yes, by the way, the crystal is also identical, and in all cases it has distortions, unlike the gen manufactory models.

So, besides personal taste (with and without a second hand), there remains a rear view, i.e., the execution of movement and caseback.

The situation is such that both PAM914 and PAM915 were produced both with a transparent caseback and solid, however, the transparent one was only in the first production series (V), and in the subsequent ones there were only solid.

Here it is necessary to make a reservation that engravings (As recently done by both HWF and TTF) are not correct in both cases. On the transparent case number is not correct (7060 - which they engrave on many models, generally belongs to the case from carbotech, instead of the correct 7080), however, the solid caseback PAM914 has a completely inappropriate N series (2011), while this model began to be produced in 2019 (V series), so we remove the engravings from the comparison equation.

Ultimately, the overall look remains, and of course the P.5000 has a much smaller balance wheel, and in a different position, than the 6497 that HWF uses, not to mention the decorative plate and its quality. While a solid caseback, albeit with an unidentified number, is protected by visual protection, even if from 6497 it does not even have decorations, which, under favorable circumstances, no one, even you, will see.

For all of the above, I would prefer the PAM914.

I hope I was able to explain my remark.

Justin123

Known Member
2/8/22
Boss has already answered briefly above, I will just give a little clarification:

From the front, PAM915 and PAM914 HWF are generally equal, both with advantages and disadvantages (first of all, the sandwich has unnecessarily wide cutouts in both cases).
The releases did not take place at the same time, and I admit differences in the shade of lume and fonts, but even without a parallel comparison, I am sure that they differ from each other no more clearly than any differs from gen (there are always differences in shades from gen, in the case of patinated lume and beige fonts, in fact, on any model).

The cases are most likely generic and of course they don't meet the specifications of the P.5000 cases because PANERAI made them thinner and in a slightly different geometry, while HWF uses one case for the bettarini models, be it OP.I/ II/X/XI or P.5000 or P.6000 (Although for gen, the models of which this factory repeats, these are at least 4 different types of cases, not to mention the specification of specific models).
Yes, by the way, the crystal is also identical, and in all cases it has distortions, unlike the gen manufactory models.

So, besides personal taste (with and without a second hand), there remains a rear view, i.e., the execution of movement and caseback.

The situation is such that both PAM914 and PAM915 were produced both with a transparent caseback and solid, however, the transparent one was only in the first production series (V), and in the subsequent ones there were only solid.

Here it is necessary to make a reservation that engravings (As recently done by both HWF and TTF) are not correct in both cases. On the transparent case number is not correct (7060 - which they engrave on many models, generally belongs to the case from carbotech, instead of the correct 7080), however, the solid caseback PAM914 has a completely inappropriate N series (2011), while this model began to be produced in 2019 (V series), so we remove the engravings from the comparison equation.

Ultimately, the overall look remains, and of course the P.5000 has a much smaller balance wheel, and in a different position, than the 6497 that HWF uses, not to mention the decorative plate and its quality. While a solid caseback, albeit with an unidentified number, is protected by visual protection, even if from 6497 it does not even have decorations, which, under favorable circumstances, no one, even you, will see.

For all of the above, I would prefer the PAM914.

I hope I was able to explain my remark.
Yup, that is the kind of explanation I was looking for. I wanted to consider all of the details.

Reactions: KOT1917

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Mate, the only thing that really matters is which one you like, you are only buying it for yourself, there is no other logical consideration to buy what is in reality, an overpriced toy.

Justin123

Known Member
2/8/22
Mate, the only thing that really matters is which one you like, you are only buying it for yourself, there is no other logical consideration to buy what is in reality, an overpriced toy.
It's good to regain perspective...

Bunbun

Horology Curious
15/3/15
Hi all, may I ask which Carbotech submersible is the one to go for ?

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
As in made from which factory and which movement to go for

That's what the forum is for.

All the info is here, waiting to be explored and digested. Its self service for the most part, but very helpful as there is a joy in learning something new, for me anyway.

We all have different tolerances though. I might not be able to unsee item A, you can. I can ignore flaw B, you can't. Which of us is right? We both are. Its our money to spend, so our decision to make, based on our own research.

The below is always a good read to put things firmly into perspective (full credit to @Tobel )

Reactions: Tobel

Justin123

Known Member
2/8/22
That pam351 is actually hot. Titanium, tobacco dial, 44mm! .... what's not to like.
Just had a look at it. Yeah. Yeah. Fuk. I dunno. Yeah. It's kinda cool. Still will probably start with a black one... But yeah. Fuk. Do they have good reps of it?